115 V4 SLEDR 1995? Power loss at full throtle

nate69

Cadet
I have been searching through older posts but can't seem to find
a problem similar to what I am experiencing with my 115 V4 SLEDR.
I was out in my boat over the weekend and while heading back to shore
the engine started losing power, it kept running but the speed dropped
to 8 mph at full throttle, I shut everything down and waited a min or two and then tried again with the same results I also tried squizzing the primer bulb, but there was no change in the running results. There were no alarms the engine temp was normal and no abnormal sounds or smoke was coming from the engine. I could take the motor out of gear and it would idle up just fine with no load.

Recently the Carbs were rebuilt the VRO has
been disabled (I am using a 50:1 fuel ratio) and the spark plugs have replaced. I am still using the orginal VRO pump to pump the fuel.

Could my VRO pump be failing?

hank119

Recruit
Re: 115 V4 SLEDR 1995? Power loss at full throtle

You say your speed dropped to 8 MPH at WOT. Do you have a Tach ? What was engine rpm ?

nate69

Cadet

yes the engine rpms did fall back to about 3k I think, it has been over a week now, since my first post..

Since my post I have checked the compression and found that all of the cylinders still have good compression 115-125 on all cylinders, I also placed a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line just past the vro pump and have found that I have very little fuel pressure if any at idle or 2500-3000 rpm I had the motor out of the water on muffs and did not want to take the throttle to WOT. I had recently replaced the plugs, but I checked them again while I was checking the compression,they were fine and all were firing. At this point I am thinking about putting a new fuel pump on the motor I will be going with an electric marine pump made by holly.

Last edited:

lildevil_66

Recruit

I have the exact same problem and going to start working on it on Monday. I got a service manual and have read about the timing advance plate sticking and other symptomatic problems and solutions. The motor runs really well at startup but after idling around it recently exhibits bogging problems like above. Usually I can take it out of gear and clear it's throat and it will then go to WOT. I will report back any findings and hopefully you can do the same.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would not put an electric fuel pump on an outboard. Accident waiting to happen !!!

Just my opinion though.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Personally I would not put an electric fuel pump on an outboard. Accident waiting to happen !!!
Just my opinion though.

Darn good opinion, though!
Nate, how were you planning on shutting the fuel pump off if the engine stalls?

SparkieBoat

Captain

What would be wrong with a low pressure (3-5 PSI fuel pump) wired in so it starts/stops with the key switch. although replacing your boat motor fuel pump should be good enough...just wondering why electric pump is such a bad idea???
thanks Sparkie

nate69

Cadet

The power to the electric fuel pump will be wired to the ignition switch or to a power source that will cease when the engine fails or stalls that way the electric pump will also stop. I will also be installing a fuel pressure monitor . on the fuel line between the pump and the motor after the fuel pump to monitor the fuel pressure.

Lets see a new VRO pump is $400.00 Holly electric is $100.00 I realize that I could also possibly have a spark problem, and will be testing the firing system this weekend, while I am installing the fuel pump. I do know that the current pump is not pumping properly.

Thanks so much for all of the replies I will keep everyone posted on what I find.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The power to the electric fuel pump will be wired to the ignition switch or to a power source that will cease when the engine fails or stalls that way the electric pump will also stop. I will also be installing a fuel pressure monitor . on the fuel line between the pump and the motor after the fuel pump to monitor the fuel pressure.

Lets see a new VRO pump is $400.00 Holly electric is $100.00 I realize that I could also possibly have a spark problem, and will be testing the firing system this weekend, while I am installing the fuel pump. I do know that the current pump is not pumping properly.

Thanks so much for all of the replies I will keep everyone posted on what I find.

And a new premix pump is under $100

nate69

Cadet

And a new premix pump is under $100

From where????? I have checked on this site from iboats, done multiple searchs on the web, no one sells a premix pump for my outboard or even a repair kit for my current pump. I went to a local Johnson dealer (highly recommended) and was told that the "only" thing that I could do was to buy a $400.00 VRO pump. If you know where I can get a premix pump for my outboard please supply me with a part number and or web site address

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Darn good opinion, though!
Nate, how were you planning on shutting the fuel pump off if the engine stalls?

That's pretty simple, pull 12V off of the regulator and wire it into a bosch relay, relay powers fuel pump when running, will cut power to the pump if the motor dies. Unless they have 12v constantly then scrap that idea LOL.

Or you could repair the fuel pump side of the pump and run premix, repair kit part # is 436095, but don't quote me on the part number, i'm guessing this is it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My feelings are that if an electric pump was a good idea then they would be a standard item. I don't want to re-invent the wheel !!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I second that, I wouldn't put electric pumps on anything carbed and 2 stroke, I read your post, nice job on the fuel pump setup, I am assuming you used the pulse line to drive the pump.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I am assuming you used the pulse line to drive the pump.

Absolutely.
Some say there is not enough pressure or delivery with this set up.
Pump will deliver more than twice as much as my motor could ever with to use. (tested) and has ample pressure in my opinion. It has been on for 2 seasons now and never run better (although a little smokier when trolling)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's carbed, they don't need 50psi to operate, they ran on a fraction of that for 40 yrs, still carbed so I don't see the need.

nate69

Cadet

That's pretty simple, pull 12V off of the regulator and wire it into a bosch relay, relay powers fuel pump when running, will cut power to the pump if the motor dies. Unless they have 12v constantly then scrap that idea LOL.

Or you could repair the fuel pump side of the pump and run premix, repair kit part # is 436095, but don't quote me on the part number, i'm guessing this is it.

Thanks for the kit info. I did find one but it is currently unavailable as for your suggestion on how to wire the pump, that is exactly how I am planing on wiring it up and with a 7.5 amp fuse on the supply side of the pump.