Monaco Project - QC

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Monaco Project - QC

Do you have a closeup of the vertical strokes? I'd love to see the difference. FYI, I actually used a foam brush, so that rules out the brush itself.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Several things here...remeber this is self leveling paint and it moves...or flows. Any time you add a solvent you are changing the way it was made to work... was the paint even designed to be used with the solvents you are using.

Thin coats will give you a better finish and applying the paint with no additives generally will give you the best results

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is probably the best I can come up with and I don't have others with it lightly sanded etc. It was Epifanes Monourethane + Penetrol, The horizontal pics are Epifanes Mono + Epifanes Brushing Thinner and probably went on a little thinner.

2ai08bs.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I can see now your reason for distress, appears that the paint does not flow very well or...Question did you get complete color saturation in 2 or 3 coat's?

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK . . . Latest . . .

I owe TG a big THANK YOU!!! Here is his roll and roll method, about 15% Epifanes thinner. I put it on very thin and waited about 2 - 4 minutes before the dry roller. I was afraid to wait any longer, but it would have worked. Continued to improve for over 3 hours. Temp about 60 in the garage last night:

2a4p8cz.jpg

1e3m1z.jpg

307xoxl.jpg

I only did the transom to evaluate. No lines or sags and only a little dimpling. And VERY fast . . . :cool: Except for some nibs better than a typical new car. I can live with this and could probably get away with only a buff and no color sanding. Moving on to the sides and hoping I'll get good enough color saturation and coverage with two more coats.

I have also been working on more "ceiling boards" which will make up the interior side panels. Trying to get some things done for use after I flip her.

9ieqm8.jpg

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, much better! Even at one coat it looks (from here) to color coat very well. Interested to see a before and after side photo when you get around to it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I am happier. Motivated me to sand the sides today. I am traveling through Wed. so won't get the sides done and comparative pics until into next weekend. I don't have any of the transom with the stroke marks . . .

sprintst

Commander

Whoa...nice work. Way to go on not giving up. Cars will crash with her reflection as you drive by :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

QC,
Looking good. I'm glad you found a solution to the problem.
Keep the pic's coming.
Bob

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

OK . . . Latest . . .

I owe TG a big THANK YOU!!! Here is his roll and roll method, about 15% Epifanes thinner. I put it on very thin and waited about 2 - 4 minutes before the dry roller. I was afraid to wait any longer, but it would have worked. Continued to improve for over 3 hours. Temp about 60 in the garage last night:

2a4p8cz.jpg

1e3m1z.jpg

307xoxl.jpg

I only did the transom to evaluate. No lines or sags and only a little dimpling. And VERY fast . . . :cool: Except for some nibs better than a typical new car. I can live with this and could probably get away with only a buff and no color sanding. Moving on to the sides and hoping I'll get good enough color saturation and coverage with two more coats.

I have also been working on more "ceiling boards" which will make up the interior side panels. Trying to get some things done for use after I flip her.

9ieqm8.jpg

There you go QC and youve grasped the "tack time" for the paint. However start with no thinner's and the tack time will decrease and with each application you will get a better ideal what percentage of thinner gets you the best finish.

It may sound labor intensive but you will find it takes about 20 mins to roll out that boat and most of that time will be spent on creating the fine uniform nap that gets the glass finsih..Each time your will get better results until your to the point of ok enough..

By the way you can thank Ms TG ....she was tipping behind me when i looked back to see her progress and she was using a roller to flatten...Apparently she didnt like the brush either..the whole thing seemed obvious to her....;) She still doesnt know what she stumbeld on..

Paul Ryan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keeps getting better n better. I said wow earlier with the brush stokes but for you to get to this level as left me speachless with a smile. Congrads! I belive you fianlly hit the big return you were looking for. That boat will be insane in the sun and water!

Friscoboater

Captain

I just read this whole thread. Man you are doing a great job with that boat. keep it up.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, sanded on Sunday and then was out of town until last night. Finished sanding wet 400 on the port side and then did the same on the transom a couple of hours ago. Sanding the brush-stroke-less coat was absolutely cake! Exactly what I was looking for again. Less paint removal between coats :cool:

I just put a coat on both and I'll have pics in the morning. So far so good, but it is so hard being patient while it tightens up . . . :eek:

Then it's time to sand the starboard side. I am sure another coat after that all around though and I am going to run out of paint :mad: Grrrrrr. This will be my third order . . . two quarts, a catch up quart and now another :rolleyes:

I am mostly off work until the 1st, so I am hoping to get a lot done. Oh, oh. BIG tip! Don't start sanding mahogany in your garage until you are done painting. Doh!!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Looking forward to an OVERALL shot once ya get her all painted up

if you have a youtube acct and a vid cam or digi cam with video, Im sure alot of people would like to see the roll roll method in action (I can imagine it in my head.....but it would be funner on video!)

I am mostly off work until the 1st, so I am hoping to get a lot done. Oh, oh. BIG tip! Don't start sanding mahogany in your garage until you are done painting. Doh!!

Bad QC bad! :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looking forward to an OVERALL shot once ya get her all painted up

if you have a youtube acct and a vid cam or digi cam with video, Im sure alot of people would like to see the roll roll method in action (I can imagine it in my head.....but it would be funner on video!)

I agree with vegas, a video would really be great. :D
Can't wait to see the whole thing.
Really looks great.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

QC I know you're hiding all the work you've done for the last 3 weeks.... let's see the new pics! :eek:

have you flipped her over yet to work on the topside?

Rock ON! ;)

ps Where's the new video link! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, long over due update. I messed with paint some more, and ran out, so I am moving forward and I will do one or two more coats when I am all of the way done in case I flip something up in the process :eek: So I pulled her out of the garage to make room for the flippin' flipping equipment:

dmek9v.jpg

So I stripped off the tape, and flipped something up:

xfaws0.jpg

Some of the red bottom coat came off with the masking tape. Went past the stupid Marine Super Secret carp stuff, and straight to the primer, so who the flip knows . . . Just that one spot, nice crisp line around the rest of the whole dang thing . . . Go figure :rolleyes:

Oh and I installed some Stainless Rubrail stuff from the tip of the bow to about half way down the bottom. My own little invention, because I am too cheap to buy a proper cutwater (would solve paint issue) and thought it looked good, and I have a ton of this stainless rubrail stuff.

And then set my straps for the flippin' flip:

309og1s.jpg

ixgzs5.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

And voila, she's flipped:

2hrfqco.jpg

And a look at my flippin' apparatus:

34j6vck.jpg

And one of the next tasks. Stripping the flipped' up furniture veneer job the original builder tried:

fdd5jn.jpg

So I am waaaaaaay behind the latest reschedule, but making progress. Kind of have some renewed enthusiasm as it looks like a boat and I am not dying a slow death with every new coat of paint. I've started to set some hardware and have some questions I'll get to in a minute or three :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oh, FWIW, I used the circular saw up there ^^^^^^^ to run a little groove all around the sheer. I'm hoping this will keep my deck demo work confined to the deck . . . :eek:

So on with my question. Should probably go to Boat Topics, but I am trying to decide how to mount this tank:

2i73h2o.jpg

See the little indentation at the right? Moeler makes these to mount with those indentations:

035710_07147-72dpi.jpg

So, here's the question . . . Those indentations are only on one side of the tank. Seems like all of the mounting strength would be limited to that side (forward as I envision now) and under hard braking :rolleyes: wouldn't the tank want to roll forward?

Oh, and here's where it goes:

2h7nqbm.jpg

I am hoping I can find a way to get those to line up with the stringers. Tank is 37 inches wide, stringers are are 27.5" on center. Indentations are 24.5" on center . . . Of course.

I need to figure out the tank, so I can confirm my rudder/tiller arrangement and the water pickup, so even though those other things come first, I need to decide on the tank setup. Always something in the way of something else and a super way of rationalizing further procrastination . . .

And I am