Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

• Get just the H1N1 shot?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

Banks are broke, NATIONAL CRISIS
Global warming, CRISIS
Car companies failing CRISIS
CRISIS
CRISIS
Swine Flu CRISIS CRISIS

Ya right.

I lived through the original swine flue epidemic, as did almost everyone else that experienced it. If you can remember back that far, more damage was done by the vaccination than the disease.

NO

Common j martin, you know the CDC wasn't around to make sure the vaccines were good in the time of Fred Flintstones. :D

aspeck

Staff member

No shots for my wife or me, but our youngest daughter is getting the H1N1 ... talked to pediatrician and dr about it ... both said that 200 people a day die from the flu, about 5 per day die from H1N1. However, H1N1 is more contagious and to a different age group than the "standard" flu. Like any viral infection, it can be deadly, but it might not be.

Both also advised that wife and I are not at high risk for either flu and would probably be better off using hand sanitizer, coughing into our elbows, and using the normal precautions. But since the youngest is in 2nd grade, she is in a highly contagious environment and suggested taking advantage of the free vaccine the school is offering next week.

We are taking their advice.

gonefishie

Commander

No flu shots for me, only time I get flu is when I take flu shots. One of my grandkids got the flu, daughter took him to the doc, got meds, doc actually gave meds for both so the other one would not get it, kept him home a few days and all is well, doc told her that the regular old time human flu is actually worse than H1N1.

I am curious as to exactly what meds the doc gave your grandkid to cure the flu. Flu is viral, not bacterial so the only meds are rest and time for the immune system to fight it off. Also, I'm curious about all of you guys that said the only time you get the flu is when you got the shot. Did you feel like sh..t and basically bed ridden for about a week? If you didn't then you didn't have the flu. The kind of flu vac. you get is different annually based on what the CDC predicts are the mostly likely strains of flu virus for that year. You can still get sick from the unlikely strains. There are lot of different strains. Some of the vacs may make you feel "down" more then other. The one for this year makes me feel light headed for about an hour, arm sore for half day and that were it. I have had some in the past that make me feel crappy for about a day or two but nowhere as crappy as a real flu. Also, the flu shot doesn't become effective until 2 weeks after you get it. Until then, you're not immune. I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last 8 years since I started working in a hospital environment. I can't afford to take the chance. I would get the h1n1 too when they start giving it to the employees.

skargo

Banned

I deal with school age children EVERYDAY, and no flu shots for us. It's mass hysteria, plain and simple.

*click* unsubscribe *click*

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MANY more babies are killed by the regular flu, where is the outcry for that?

I refuse to be cajoles into doing something I don't want to do, nor belive in.

What about drunk drivers killing infants? Everything else?!?!?!

She said contageous diseases, Skargo. Flu is the worst infant killer and it is spread only by people who have not been immunized.

What about drunks? Do they have anything to do with this discussion??

skargo

Banned

She said contageous diseases, Skargo. Flu is the worst infant killer and it is spread only by people who have not been immunized.

What about drunks? Do they have anything to do with this discussion??

No, but it's just a ridiculous statement. I don't want to insult your daughter, so let's just say some people are biased and leave it at that.

The REGULAR flu kills MANY more infants than H1N1.
Guess I'm a baby killer now, oh well, I'll add it to my resume'.

Like I said, many here, and everywhere else buy into the mass hysteria, oh no, the sky is falling.

Hell, don't get me started on natural selection either. :rolleyes:

JB

Well, we agree that the media have created mass hysteria, but it is about a serious threat.

Overblown and bogus are not the same thing. It is really not wise to treat something that is exaggerated as not existing.

Are all the school closings hysteria or are the majority of the students sick? What about those who are dying? Are they dying of hysteria?

You probably won't get sick and probably won't transmit the virus to someone vulnerable just because you haven't been immunized. . . .that is simple statistics, but you are walking barefoot in snake country.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I am not doing it and don't want to chance the side affects.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The REGULAR flu kills MANY more infants than H1N1.

Now THAT is a ridiculous statement. It's kind of like saying taking a bath is more dangerous than cliff diving because more infants have died in the bathtub than during cliff diving.

H1N1 hasn't been around long enough to get the stats on how deadly it is for infants. I'm going to trust someone in the medical field a lot more than someone whose main source of authority appears to be crankiness.

We have a doctor around here who takes a strong stance against vaccines. Turns out she's a chiropractor.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

From Daughter#1, who is a NICU Nurse Practitioner. NICU is Neonatal (newborn) Intensive Care Unit. She has been doing this for 31 years.

"Don't these people who refuse protection from a contageous disease that is DEADLY to at-risk infants realize that they may get a tolerable sniffle and a headache but then pass it on to someone else who will kill one of my babies?"

She is pretty passionate about "her" babies. She deals on a daily basis with young parents who have just lost their child, often to preventable causes.

Her point is that if you can't get it you can't pass it on. If nobody could get it. . . .well, what do you think?

"The regular flu kills between 46 and 88 children a year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention"

"According to health officials today, 76 US children have now died of H1N1. " (10/9)

Source: http://www.nowpublic.com/world/more-u-s-child-deaths-swine-flu-h1n1

BUT TO PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE:

(2005 numbers, but the article is about the numbers staying the same year after year despite expectations due to better technology and information)

In 2005, 5,571 infants died as a result of congenital defects.
In 2005, 4,698 infants died as a result of preterm birth or low birth weight.
In 2005, 2,234 infants succumbed to SIDS. (Which, we have been told is preventable by not allowing the infant to sleep on its stomach)..
In 2005, 1,769 infants died as a result of maternal complications.
Umbilical cord and placenta complications accounted for 1,095 infant deaths in 2005.

Source: http://dying.about.com/od/pediatriccare/tp/leading_causes_infant_death.htm

And, finally, The NHTSA reports that motor vehicle crashes remain the leading cause of death at all ages from 2 to 14 years old ? more than half of them with vehicles where the driver had been drinking!

skargo

Banned

Now THAT is a ridiculous statement. It's kind of like saying taking a bath is more dangerous than cliff diving because more infants have died in the bathtub than during cliff diving.

H1N1 hasn't been around long enough to get the stats on how deadly it is for infants. I'm going to trust someone in the medical field a lot more than someone whose main source of authority appears to be crankiness.

We have a doctor around here who takes a strong stance against vaccines. Turns out she's a chiropractor.

No, you saying the H1N1 is the ridiculous statement, it's been around for MANY years. Do some research before you call MY statements ridiculous please.

And I do not appreciate you calling me cranky, why do you feel the need to get personal, I don't know you, and doubt we've ever conversed before. :rolleyes:

I'll bet right now that when it's all said and done, more will die from complications from the rushed vaccine, than the disease itself.

wizbang 13

Seaman Apprentice

Here is my flu shot, some chopped up raw garlic,ginger and red pepper. "Health care" is really "sick care"and insurance.I want my tonsiles back!

JB

This is getting too unfriendly. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.