81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

are you talking about the prop hitting the trim fin anode? If so I had to trim mine up.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Jay, I have an '84 SX190 that I bought new, with a 5.7
It was an OMC stringer, that I converted to Alpha a couple seasons ago. Here's a link. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225270

Have a look at the storage beside the engine, The factory poured in blocks of foam under the storage virtually identical to what you've done.

When I redid the transom, I also noticed that the small plywood blocks holding the ladder mount screws had turned to tissue paper. I don't ski much anymore, so I took the ladder off and filled the holes with colored resin.

I also removed the 2 teak rails across the back to stop the mooring cover from forming a pool on the sundeck.

Although the 5.7 power is "adequate", I'm a hot rodder, so I did a few mods to help it along; Holley aluminum intake, double wall ss headers I fabbed myself, switchable thru-hulls, 1.6:1 roller rockers. The extra power brought rpm up to 5500 with a 21" ss prop, so I changed to a 23" vented. I had to trim the anode down a bit to get it to clear, now tops at 5000.

I know you will enjoy yours, mine has brought a grin on my face many times.

sprintst

Commander

The boat looks great. I'm sure the vibration will be minor.

Let us knop how the smooth Durabak goes. Not sure I can get that stuff shipped here to Canada. I might have to go with Kiwigrip.

Friscoboater

Captain

Jay, I have an '84 SX190 that I bought new, with a 5.7
It was an OMC stringer, that I converted to Alpha a couple seasons ago. Here's a link. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225270

Have a look at the storage beside the engine, The factory poured in blocks of foam under the storage virtually identical to what you've done.

When I redid the transom, I also noticed that the small plywood blocks holding the ladder mount screws had turned to tissue paper. I don't ski much anymore, so I took the ladder off and filled the holes with colored resin.

I also removed the 2 teak rails across the back to stop the mooring cover from forming a pool on the sundeck.

Although the 5.7 power is "adequate", I'm a hot rodder, so I did a few mods to help it along; Holley aluminum intake, double wall ss headers I fabbed myself, switchable thru-hulls, 1.6:1 roller rockers. The extra power brought rpm up to 5500 with a 21" ss prop, so I changed to a 23" vented. I had to trim the anode down a bit to get it to clear, now tops at 5000.

I know you will enjoy yours, mine has brought a grin on my face many times.

I saw your boat a while back and I really wanted to to a through hull like yours. But the female fun governor put the nix on that. Can you post some more pictures of your boat finished?

I will try and roll the durabak today, but I might not have enough time.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

The boat is in storage now, (although the temp has been in the 70's lately), I will take some more pics of the engine area when I launch it soon. Here's a few older pics I had.
Boat001.jpg

Boat005-1.jpg

Boat003-1.jpg

Boat004-1.jpg

Boat350.jpg

I resized pics, hope they are ok now. Will try to be careful in future.
Hank

Last edited by a moderator:

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I just remembered, you said yours had the fuel tank in the bow.
By '84 they put it in the back, just ahead of the engine bay. It's welded aluminum, shaped to match the vee of the hull there.
You can see the outline of the cover in the carpet. It's 35 US gallons, I believe. It makes for less difference in tongue weight, as it's over the trailer axle.

Friscoboater

Captain

That is one sweet lookin boat. My tank is actually dead center of the boat. Right about where you ski locker is. It is welded aluminum and I think it is just like yours.

Well I left west marine another $200 poorer. I got the gas shocks to help open the engine bay doors and got a bunch of safety stuff that needed to be replaced. I can say now that the only thing I really would like to do is tint the windows and add a second battery. I will get that done real soon, but I have to make the funds available. I am SOOOOOOOO far over budget on this project, but I just don't care.

I would take some pictures of the super cool gas actuated doors, but I got rid of the other camera and my new one will not be here until tomorrow.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ha, I'm sitting next to a mass of paper....all receipts, I don't dare add it up for at least 10 years! Otherwise I will probably keep over! Your boat will be completely new pretty soon!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wonder if that is a sign I spend too much time on here? :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

He y Frisco,
What is a budget? My beloved wife still thinks, I will get ours redone for under 1K, :p. Please don't tell her any different.
Looking forward to more pic's.
Hey arch, the answer to your statement is, nope, not a chance, you can't spend to much time on Iboats, Can you?
Take care my friends
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Bob,

How is everything where you live? Did you guys stay dry?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is one sweet lookin boat. My tank is actually dead center of the boat. Right about where you ski locker is. It is welded aluminum and I think it is just like yours.

Well I left west marine another $200 poorer. I got the gas shocks to help open the engine bay doors and got a bunch of safety stuff that needed to be replaced. I can say now that the only thing I really would like to do is tint the windows and add a second battery. I will get that done real soon, but I have to make the funds available. I am SOOOOOOOO far over budget on this project, but I just don't care.

I would take some pictures of the super cool gas actuated doors, but my camera broke and my new one will be here tomorrow.

I'm interested to see how you mount the lower ends of your new struts. I put some in my boat a few years ago. I had to screw them into the flimsy side panels. The screws would back out and/or the strut ends would pop off the brackets. I put sheet metal backing plates and it still fell apart. They need a good solid mount to hold the tension when the cover is closed.

Friscoboater

Captain

I will post some pictures as son as the new camera gets here. I had to experiment with the locations, but I finally got it working right.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Speaking of cameras...I was about to pick up a Kodak Playsport digital camera. I like the idea of $150, waterproof & HD...seems like a good combo for the price...have you played with one yet?

Friscoboater

Captain

I have not messed around with those at all. I purchased a dual purpose point and shoot and it was garbage. I just got me new JVC HD camcorder (218.00 on ebay) and I am charging it now.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I'm interested to see how you mount the lower ends of your new struts. I put some in my boat a few years ago. I had to screw them into the flimsy side panels. The screws would back out and/or the strut ends would pop off the brackets. I put sheet metal backing plates and it still fell apart. They need a good solid mount to hold the tension when the cover is closed.
That reminds me, I went through some experimentation with the gas struts several years ago. Glastron had them installed such that they would fully lift when the release was pulled. Trouble was, that used up so much leverage that they didn't open very far, about 45?, so access was very limited. And if you reached past one to get in there, It would pop off the ball and the cover would drop on your head. Not nice.

I replaced them with automotive ones that locked onto the ball connections. Then I reversed mounting position front to back so as to have them lift much farther. Now, when you release them, they pop up a bit, like a car hood, I lift them a foot, and they rise the rest of the way to ~70?.

For the lower mount, I used 2 pieces of 14 ga stainless, one on each side of the carpet covered plywood storage fence, bolted with 10-32 stainless bolts and nylox nuts. The ball has a 1/4-20 threaded stud that goes through both and held with a nylox nut also. No movement.

Friscoboater

Captain

I got mine to work perfect. I have video and pictures I will post later.

Friscoboater

Captain

Finally I got some pictures and a couple of videos.

Video 1.. Just an Update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxGs1ab-rM

Video 2... Re-Coating my Durabak with Smooth Durabak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoBerNTTPA

And some pictures

This is my new Badge that I had made.

DSC00111.jpg

Sun Deck opener

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

Storage

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Re-Coating my Deck

DSC00116.jpg

So will this thread be moved to the completed section when I am finished?