81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Where are your troubled areas? right where the transom meets the hull? I also had some gaps here but those were unavoidable due to the rough surface left by the PL. If your trouble is in this area I wouldn't worry about it. As for strength I can tell you that I am tabbing in my transom with one layer of CSM and one maybe two layers of 1708 and calling it done. One layer of csm and one layer of 1708 is already several OZ/ft more than the factory had by far.

Are you getting airbubles on flat areas? If so I am not sure what to say about that. Any flat surface I encountered I had no problems getting the air bubles out except where pieces of CSM overlapped.

One thing I do notice from you pictures, did you sand down the areas to be glassed on the stock glass? Your pictures don't look like you did, but that could just be te color of your hull. This morning I spent an extra hour going over everything else with the flapper disc on the grinder.

This is my understanding, and although I did have some airbubles on the transom I have non that I am worried about.

On the transom I did CSM first as this uses a lot of resin and provides a watertight seal. Also, the CSMis much more easy to conform to the curves of the transom to hull.

Then I put down some 1708, which I understand is 3/4oz mat on the transom side and 17oz woven on the outside. On top of the CSM the 1708 went down very well, but I only used this for tabbing.

Stock, my boat had only Woven tabs on the sides of the transom to about 2" in and nothing over the surface.

Also, I did not thin my resin at all of the transom as the curves were not very bad and it was easier to apply. Something about today with the stringers required the resin to flow more easily than when I did the transom.

Another thing, I am able to resue paint brushes by letting them soak then dry in acetone after I go through a 12oz batch of resin then switch to anotehr brush. So far I have only had to throw away two paint brushes, but they are cheap and this might not concern you.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, I have had a couple of beers and relaxed a little. The color of my resin is grey and I did grind down the hull first. I have the itchy arms to prove it. Now that things have had a few hours to set, it is really strong. i still will do a little grinding tomorrow to get rid of the ugliness. The flat surfaces are bubble free.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Overall it looks pretty good. Both the explorer and the boat look good.
It really doesn't have to look pretty, along as it's water tight and strong.
Most of it will be below deck anyways and no one will ever see it again.
We all want to do are best but perfection is not always required.
LOOKS GREAT MAN. Don't beat yourself up.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

friscoboater,
Overall it looks pretty good. Both the explorer and the boat look good.
It really doesn't have to look pretty, along as it's water tight and strong.
Most of it will be below deck anyways and no one will ever see it again.
We all want to do are best but perfection is not always required.
LOOKS GREAT MAN. Don't beat yourself up.
Bob

That's exactly it. You are asking questions at the right time and your instincts are good. From what I've done on glassing a long time ago is that the glass doesn't like the 90 degree angle very well so it needs to be rounded slightly with something like a smooth rounded seam of PL or epoxy, etc. When you're done I'm sure the transom will be able to survive a torpedo strike. When it's all said and done if it's solid no one is going to get to see the transom but you :)

I over obsess sometimes on my projects to make them perfect but I've knocked it down a bit over the years as I would kick myself too much. Good qualities for your company though :) My floor is solid as a rock but not all that pretty. It will be under a layer of Durabak soon enough so I've learned to block the cosmetics out of my mind.

Here's the Explorer that I just got rid of to a friend at work. I carried all the boat parts, paint, tools, etc in this thing. I fed it nothing but synthetic fluids from the day I bought it so he's going to give it a going over for some slight body work as a second vehicle. The Explorer got slightly rear ended buy one of the nice never pretty cars. There was plastic scattered all over the intersection from his car with a slight dent in the bumper on mine.

Yours really must have taken a smack.

Attachments

• IMG00230 (Small).jpg
    IMG00230 (Small).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I have to keep reminding myself that you will never see it. The only people are you guys as I build it up. I am going to grind down a little tomorrow to clean up some of the jaggies.

Is two layers of CSM enough for the back part of the deck?

And as for the Explorer, yes is took a really hard hit. When I was cutting the back quarter off the was a loud BANG as the stressed metal popped back. Scared the #$*@ out of me.

system-f

that things have had a few hours to set, it is really strong

went back out and looked at mine after it had set for a couple of hours and the stuff on the stringers looks a lot better than I had thought it did.

2 layers of CSM on the deck? I am doing one layer of CMS on the bottom of my deck, one on the top and 7oz cloth on the top.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well today is a BAD day. I went to grind out the air bubbles to find that the tabbing on the bottom of the transom did not stick. The sides and the top are solid, but the bottom came out in one full piece.

Here is where I think I did wrong in my excitement to get this done..

1. I did not grind the hull enough in the bile because I thought I would go through. There was still some grease and oil from the engine. So I ground the **** out of it this morning.

2. I did not clean with acetone first. I just totally slipped my mind. It is just me doing this and I was so concerned about the resin, I forgot to wash first.

3. I did not pre wet. I even wrote it on the wall so I would not forget. Therefore the CSM did not stick well and made it hard to get rid of the bubbles in the corners.

The floor is solid because I remembered all the steps, but for some reason I forgot in the bottom of the transom. So I am off to west marine to get more CSM and resin.

Lesson learned.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

bummer on the tabbing No stick situation!...yeah the acetone washdown is imperative....
LOTS of resin...LOTS....slop it on! pre wetting IS a good idea!

after going through like 30 brushed...we finally figured out the "soak brushes in acetone" trick like System F mentioned....every expense adds up!

looking awsome!

2 coats is more than enough for the floor repair...especially if it is supported by some foam.......besides no one will be stepping there....looks like its under the eng hatch area or under a seat.........

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Was that your first major car repair (the explorer) ??

wow you did a fantastic job! saved yourself quite a bit of cash too....

Friscoboater

Captain

Was that your first major car repair (the explorer) ??

wow you did a fantastic job! saved yourself quite a bit of cash too....

Yes that was my first hardcore repair. Most people just laughed when they saw what I was doing, and then ate their words when they saw it finished.

GREAT NEWS!!! I found 1708 Biax, and WHOA that is some cool stuff. I just tabbed in the bottom of the transom (yes I remembered to acetone this time) and there are no bubbles and it laid down perfect. I am going to let it flash and then put more down.

Friscoboater

Captain

Is two layers of 1708 enough for the tabbing and over the rear stringer?

I am going to then put two more payers of mat on the face of the transom.

Friscoboater

Captain

So here are some pictures of the new bottom layup. It is much better and stuck like white on rice.

Put down two layers of 1708 for the tabbing and the stringers that were exposed.

DSC09651.jpg

DSC09652.jpg

system-f

Looks awesome. Even though 1708 eats resin, I think it is easier to work with on smooth contours. Were you able to get it to fold over the stringers ok?

Friscoboater

Captain

Oh it went on perfect. Is two layers enough?

system-f

I think two layers is enough. It is far more than mine had from the factory and my boat was solid. I tried to wrap a stringer in 1708 and it still bunches up around the top edges. :mad: I really need for my exposed stringers to look decent.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, looks great! Your making me want to start on my Sea Ray next! Well maybe I will stick with my outboard project for a while, lol!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Frsico are you gonna paint the bilge so its pretty or leave it...some people say the paint can peel off and clog the bilge pump.....

I used rustoleum silver and a brush....seems to be holding up fine (sleekcraft project)

I figure gel coating would be the ultimate "paint"

ROCK ON!

Friscoboater

Captain

Yeah Vegas I am going to paint it with rustoleum white. I read some things about flaking, but I think if I prep right it will all be good.

I just finished alot of work and letting it dry. i will post some pictures tonight.

Bottom

Cadet

Been following this thread from the beginning, Great job so far!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I wonder if one of those epoxy appliance paints would hold up better than the normal rustoleum? Just a thought.....