how to change gear oil

cparker072

Seaman
i have a 70 hp 1986 evinrude how do you change the gear oil probably could figure it out but just want to know before i do it tomorrow

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to change gear oil

If it's like my Force or Yamaha, remove the drain screw then the vent screw to let the oil flow freely. Pump new oil into the drain hole until it seeps out of the vent hole. Screw in the vent screw (with new washer), then remove the pump hose from the drain hole and screw in the drain screw.

By doing it from the drain hole, you're assured not to introduce air pockets that would lead to less than a full lower unit.

Last edited:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Whatever you do, don't take out the phillips head screw. The drain and vent screws are large slotted screws.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

where do i get the washers for the drain and vent screw

As said a dealer will have them and get $10 worth while you are there and you should have enough for a long long time.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

very simple job to do, but there is one catch for the "home handyman" even though the gearbox only holds 1 bottle of oil, it is almost impossible to squeeze all the oil out of a single bottle, you need to buy 2 and use one, then swap for the second, after that, empty the two bottles to make one full one and keep it for next year.

cparker072

Seaman

how much oil do they usually take like could i put a milk carton under it with the top off or will i need something bigger

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

how much oil do they usually take like could i put a milk carton under it with the top off or will i need something bigger
Use a dish or trough under the skeg as it drains straight down the skeg in most cases and into the dish.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to Walmart or local automotive store to get an oil drain pan. It will have a little spout to help pour spent oil into an empty milk or bleach jug to recycle at a place that will take it.

The drain pan will be shallow enough to fit easily under the skeg, yet with more than enough capacity to hold spent oil.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

very simple job to do, but there is one catch for the "home handyman" even though the gearbox only holds 1 bottle of oil, it is almost impossible to squeeze all the oil out of a single bottle, you need to buy 2 and use one, then swap for the second, after that, empty the two bottles to make one full one and keep it for next year.

I did that for years, messing around with pouring leftovers back and forth. Then I spent $10- for a pump.
Best thing I've bought in years.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

I did that for years, messing around with pouring leftovers back and forth. Then I spent $10- for a pump.
Best thing I've bought in years.

Yep. Buying gear lube in any quantity less than a quart is a fool's errand.