Limp Home Backup Outboard

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 24' SkipJack Flybridge that presently has a 5.0 Chevy Power Plant. Somtime in the future I want to consider buying an OutBoard as a Backup to get me home in the event the Engine and or Sterndrive gives out on me. I have not weighed the boat, but estimates are ranging 4,000 to 4,600 lbs dry, assuming that may be a factor. Along that same line of weight considerations there is a 110 Gallon Gas Tank. Is there a way to figure this out or is it more of an educated guess type of thing, either of which I would love to get some feedback on this idea.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Limp Home Backup Outboard

Add 700 pounds for the fuel. Batteries, gear, and anything that is not part of the boat as built would be added to whatever the dry weight is. Since you have an I/O there generally is no convenient way to mount an outboard without adding something like a jack plate. At roughly 5000 pounds you'd need a fairly stout outboard to make any headway at all -- especially if the weather got a little nasty. Even as emergency power I would guess you are looking at 100 HP or more.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What kind of waters do you use the boat in ?? and what kind of conditions do you want to overcome with the "limp home" motor ??

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

kenmyfam said:
What kind of waters do you use the boat in ?? and what kind of conditions do you want to overcome with the "limp home" motor ??

Southern California Coastline. Los Angeles Area out to Catalina, some 20-25 Miles Off Shore. If I can overcome 2-3 Swells, that is all I would hope for because I would most likely be close to shore than half way to Catalina. Too big an Outboard would be Logistically a pain as far as fitting properly. I have heard of people with the same size and name boat replacing the I/O with a 150HP OB. My thoughts are 25-35HP, (uneducated guess)

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say your uneducated guess is spot on, and if you go 4 stroke you can still use the boats fuel, no extra tanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think that a 35hp will move you if propped correctly, it would be a long ride home though. Why not mount the plate then see what motors you can get hold of to try out. If buying a used one from a dealer they may well co-operate to make the sale.
With the weights, waters and load mentioned I am more in line with Silvertip's estimate.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think investing in a sea anchor, and a sea tow membership,and a good vhf, would be the best answer, where you are boating. that is if you are just wanting it for emergencies, and not trolling. i don't like using the same tank for both engines. if the fuel is contaminated, it's contaminated for both engines.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

tashasdaddy said:
i think investing in a sea anchor, and a sea tow membership,and a good vhf, would be the best answer, where you are boating. that is if you are just wanting it for emergencies, and not trolling. i don't like using the same tank for both engines. if the fuel is contaminated, it's contaminated for both engines.

Hi tashasdaddy,

That is also an option I am comparing. Did not think of the Bad Fuel, but that is a possibility for sure. I do have brochures on the Membership Towing. I will look into that also. Thanks for the great reply!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Outboards need less maintenance the more they are used. As a limp home motor, it will not get much use, and will cause trouble when you need it. Were it used for trolling, or for the main engine for a smaller boat, it would be fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are other issues with larger outboards -- such as steering, controls, etc. Since you are obviously out on big water that gets nasty in a hurry, a blender motor is not what you want in an emergency. I still feel a 50/60 HP tiller motor would be absolute minimum in bad seas. For California, you will be limited to 4-strokes or an Evinrude E-tec two stroke. Should be some of those around used by now. Those are state of the art, lightweight and geared so you could put a pontoon prop on and actually make some headway in an emergency. Yes - contrary to what you may have heard Evinrude E-tec two-strokes are legal in California.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

For a limp home engine you would be fine with any brand 15 hp. A 20 or 25 would be better if you think you might be out in rough water. Anything over a 30 would be a waste of money as your not going to plane the boat anyway.

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lyndy said:
I have a 24' SkipJack Flybridge that presently has a 5.0 Chevy Power Plant. Somtime in the future I want to consider buying an OutBoard as a Backup to get me home in the event the Engine and or Sterndrive gives out on me. I have not weighed the boat, but estimates are ranging 4,000 to 4,600 lbs dry, assuming that may be a factor. Along that same line of weight considerations there is a 110 Gallon Gas Tank. Is there a way to figure this out or is it more of an educated guess type of thing, either of which I would love to get some feedback on this idea.

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see some pretty large boats (30') in my harbor with 15Hp and smaller.

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see some pretty large boats (30') in my harbor with 15Hp and smaller. There are a zillion boats in Newport Harbor; you might want to look around.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On a 30 ft sail boat, perhaps 15 HP is sufficient to move it. In nasty weather 15 HP on a 5000# conventional hull will just stir the water up a bit. Consider this -- I think you will agree that a 24 - 28 foot pontoon boat is not exactly a speed demon with a 40 or 50 HP outboard. Nor does it weight anywhere near 5000#. Imagine what a 15 HP engine would do on calm water, much less rough seas, and at double the weight of a pontoon. 15 HP on a 5000# hull will move that load around a quiet harbor or inland lake. As emergency power on open water -- I don't think so.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have 10 hp on a 21 foot 2500 lb .deep vee boat. It moves the boat at 3-4 mph so take your cue from that. I don't think 15 or 20 hp is going to do well on your 4-5000 lb. on open water.