1961 Glasspar Citation Project

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

You quit work in this economy? AWSOME!!!!!!! lol :p

Yeah- But I have another 'gig' lined up- Looks like I'll be back 'at sea' in a few weeks. I couldn't take the hours and the bull**** at the other place.

sorry bout the motor!
those old rudes and johnsons can be had pretty cheap as you know....
hey mebbe a RESTO thread on the motor? Im pretty sure you can STILL get parts! :redface: post your progress!

I MIGHT still be able to salvage this motor after all... I pulled the cylinder head on the Stb side, and she's got a blown gasket. I also soaked the other cylinders over night, to remove the carbon buildup on the rings, and the compression is up about 5-8 lbs per cylinder. So, I might give it a shot still.

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Andy,

I have the manual for that motor if you don't have one, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy. I bet with a new Head gasket and de-carb she'll be fine.

I'm just sayin...:D

andgott

This was the culprit-

HeadGasket.jpg

Gasket on the Stbd bank was blown, resulting in zero compression in the #1 (top) cylinder....

I think I'll tear this motor down a bit more and do it RIGHT. If I do, I'll start a new thread in the appropriate location. These 'Fat 50's' are all over the place (I've got TWO of them myself!), and although they are a bit of a fuel hog, they are supposed to be virtually bulletproof motors if cared for properly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep those old Rude's don't KNOW they're OLD. Rebuild her right and she'll purr like a new one. You are right about being a fuel hog though. Do you have resources for parts? If not PM me and I'll send you the one's I have found on the NET.

Good Luck with your Re-build

BobsGlasstream

Commander

andgott,
Nice to hear that the motor might not be toast. Hopefully it will be fine when you get it rebuilt.
Good luck
Bob

andgott

Gaskets are ordered- We'll see what the outcome is!

If I can get decent compression once the gaskets are replaced, I'll put more time/money into the motor... If not, I'll have one nice paperweight. That motor is HUGE.

-Andrew

andgott

Most of the trim is on now, as well as the rubrail insert- She's back on the trailer so I can get to the transom to put the drain plugs in without crawling on the ground-

OnTrailer.jpg

I've got the windshield to install, and a few more small things here and there, and then it'll be done except for the motor...

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

NICE!!!!!!!!!! Is that a GATOR Trailer? Looks alot like mine except its yeller!!!
Hope that Head Gasket does the trick. Moving that Paper weight around might get to be a PITA doncha know.

I'm just sayin...:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thought so. I will be getting started on mine as soon as the heat wave breaks. Gunna get it sandblasted and then paint it back to original white. I got the replacement decals for the trailer from this guy in case you're interested. http://vintageboatsupply.com/Decals_Home.html

Keep us posted on the Motor rebuild

micks110

Andrew- Nice looking boat! You're almost there. I hope you get the motor figured out. I found a lower unit for mine to cure the clutch dog issues I'm having and I will rebuild the the one cylinder that was bad. My compression was 90/90/90/45- pitted piston was the culprit.

Woody- that's the same place I got my Tee Nee stickers from.

andgott

Well, It looks like I'm going to have to put her away for a while-

Paked2.jpg

Paked3.jpg

I got a call yesterday, and will be returning to my ship for a while... I'm driving up to the shipyard in Stugeon Bay, WI this weekend to fit out. I don't know how long I'll be gone for- Probably weeks, possibly months... Nothing is too certain right now :)

But, The bank accounts will be nice and full when I get back, so I'll be able to FINISH this project... And hopefully enjoy it a bit before I get started on the NEXT one.

BTW- I think that my addiction is getting worse... This is my garage now-

Paked1.jpg

Notice that there is no longer room for a car, But Theres a pair of '59 fat 50's, a 61 75hp v-4, a 1963 28hp Speeditwin, and a 50 something Fastwin...

And, of course, two more boats in the basement waiting for me :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wow, quite a collection. Looks like you'll have lots to dream about aboardships. Have a safe trip!

m_87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

great job so far i am doing my 88 chris craft and have never done one so your posts and thread is going to be my guied

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Andrew...

wow the little Glaspar is lookin sweet! same with the trailer!

congrats on the new work.....

hoping you get it in the water this year before the winter! Have a safe voyage!

the rebel

Seaman

Very nice work. Persistence pays off in an excellent job. Hope you get your engine worked out soon.

andgott

Thanks... I'm off the ship for a week or so, hopefully, but TOO many projects around the house to work on the boat right now... Hopefully, soon!

Luckily, we really don't have 'winter' here... It's never too cold to go boating :)

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

andgott,
Glad to see you made it home. Hopefully you will get some time for the boat.
Bob

WLyouth05

Recruit

Hey andgott. i have the same boat and i need some help if you can help out. i need some measurements and need to know where i can get some parts that i will be needing. if you can help out with this please contact me. EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: