1969 omc 120HP Help

miichaeI

Cadet
Ok guys and gals i just got a old 1969 dixie boat with a omc 120hp 4 cylinder engine. The tilt and trim was messed up and the guy has took it apart to try to repair it and now i have parts with it. My first question is on this system where does it suck the water up? i want to try to start it up on land to see if the engine runs but im scared to melt the rubber impeller if its like a outboard. how do i start it up and can i use my muffs like from a outboard? iv read that some inboards sucks water up from other places not sure where to put the muffs and i have read that if you apply water be4 starting engine it could blow water in the exhaust? any info on starting it on land would be great.

i would just take it to the lake but he has the rubber transom boot unbolted so id have to bolt it back and seal it and i just want to try it on land first.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 omc 120HP Help

There is an inlet at the bottom of the leg just fit muffs and turn the water on before you start, just like an out-board motor

miichaeI

Cadet

so no worries if i leave water on for 20 minutes and boat hasnt started?

next question is the starter switch is bad and isnt hooked up. what all wires do i need to start the engine? can i start it without a switch? i have my manual ordered its isnt here yet though. the key switch he said was bad and wires are not hooked up to the switch

miichaeI

Cadet

didnt realize you could download it. thank you very much. anything else i should know about starting it up? hasnt been ran since 2007

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

First thing I would do is a tune-up and oil change, motor and drive unit.

Everything is available in the link I sent you, good luck and enjoy your boat :D

miichaeI

Cadet

ok after looking over my lower unit i dont see anywhere the water could be sucked up? there are no vent holes in the foot?

heres a pic i fould of what my lower unit looks like that i found on google. no vent holes.

old_stern_drive.jpg

and here are some of the others i seen with vents holes.

boat-stern-drive-outdrive-115320.jpg

miichaeI

Cadet

well thats exactly what mine looks like. thats why i asked on how to start it up since i didnt see a place for water to go?? :eek:

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

well thats exactly what mine looks like. thats why i asked on how to start it up since i didnt see a place for water to go?? :eek:

If it was mine, I would donate it to a museum :rolleyes:

It looks like you have a job and a half with that unit, is it really worth it :confused:

miichaeI

Cadet

can i get a newer system and put it on it? my friend has a blown up 1976 mercruiser 140hp . would that stern drive fit?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

I would say with that picture that the water pick up is just above the cavitation plate where the 3 bolts are.

miichaeI

Cadet

it looks like its in the back part that hangs down behind the prop to me. theres a hole in front and exaust in back?

superbenk

Commander

Pretty sure you need an adapter on the older Stringers. The later ones like mine have the inlets on the sides of the lower unit like most other outdrives.

IMG_3643.JPG