bass boat or not?

zbaber

Recruit
I will soon be buying my first boat. (Have been around them my whole life, friends/family members have had them, etc)

I got offered an amazing deal on a 18.5 foot Stratos bass boat with a 175 merc. on it. The deal is almost to good to pass up.

My delima is that I dont really fish, (just never got into it) and my usage of a boat would be tubing, wakeboarding, and general cruising around medium to medium/large sized lakes. Most outings would be with 4 adults including myself. I would like an open bow type I/O boat for this, but this Stratos is such a good deal I may not be able to pass it up. I've never driven a bass boat, yet have rode in many. An uncle of mine had nearly the same boat as I'm looking at, but a few years newer with a 150 merc and it was a rocket on the water. (it did around 60 on gps on smooth water, and seemed to handle very well)

Most of the bowriders I've driven seem to be "sluggish", when compared to his bass boat. (the bowriders have been a 4.3 merc, a 2.3l 4cyl, and a 5.7 merc which was a large boat). These boats did not obtain speeds much over 35 either.

I would like a "sporty" boat that handles well and runs decent speeds, yet need to be able to hold 4 adults at times comfortably.

Would buying the Stratos and modifying the interior to include bench style seating up front (where storage compartments are now) be worth it? I've got the skill to do so, just unsure whether it would be worth my time. I was thinking doing a small bench style arrangement like a bowrider with small storage under the seats. I would also add a sound system as well.

I think i could do all this for less than buying a comparable bowrider, but would the performance of the boat be affected to much?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: bass boat or not?

Boats are designed for a (somewhat) purpose.
I really dont think you will be happy with a bass boat as a tubing, family crusier.

So, buy the bass boat (if its such a great deal) and then trade it in on one for the purpose you want to use it for.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Boats are designed for a (somewhat) purpose.
I really dont think you will be happy with a bass boat as a tubing, family crusier.

So, buy the bass boat (if its such a great deal) and then trade it in on one for the purpose you want to use it for.

My thoughts too-
If you don't BASS FISH I doubt you'll be happy with a bass boat for what you want to do :rolleyes:

204 Escape

Ensign

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that there was only "seats" for "3" normally in a bass boat, with the 4th person sitting on the floor.

I was told that a person can NOT set in front of the consoles in a bass boat.

Why not buy a fish/ski boat. Basically the same hull.

We liked ours !!!!!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

My thoughts too-
If you don't BASS FISH I doubt you'll be happy with a bass boat for what you want to do :rolleyes:

Agreed. A bass boat is pretty specialized for it's intended purpose.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your post indicates that it doesn't fit your needs. Buy it if you're sure you can turn a profit by selling it.

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy that thing... sell it for a small profit and buy what you want... you can fish off any boat. Bass boats don't make much sense unless your heavy into fishing.... hell I'm heavy into fishing and my boat seats 8 comfortably, does 50mph, is stable, and will sleep 2(back to back seats fold down into a 6 1/2 foot bench seat). I bought it for 1300... (the one in my avatar). I have downriggers and a platform and goes up front for a fishing swivel seat and trolling motor... or I can pull the platform out and seat 3 in the bow.

Bottom line is, if your patient you can get EXACTLY what you want. If it's a great deal then buy it and turn it around for a profit then buy your ideal boat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Have it checked out, get everything right then sell it and get what you really want.

I really don't think you would be happy trying to ski or pull a tube or even relax for that matter on a bass boat.

They are made to fish and go fast and that is it.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what kind of bowriders you've been on, but my 4.3 runs 50mph (GPS) correctly propped with four adults in it.

I'd sell it, I'd never want to be on a medium/large lake in a bass boat. Just sounds scary.

Ian

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Don't buy what you don't want. Unless you're for certain you can turn a profit I wouldn't touch it. And if you buy it have it checked out before you purchase it. There may be a reason why it such a good deal.

Boating season is coming to an end & there will be plenty of good deals to be had. You're not going to have a hard time finding the type of boat you're looking for, & I'm certain you can find one for a great price if you're patient enough.

zbaber

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I've decided not to buy and wait out finding what I really want. I'm fairly confident I could have made a decent profit, but I dont want to deal with the hassle of buying and having to resell before I could get what I want.

I'll just hold out for the right boat for me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

get a center console. You can fish, ski, tube, cruise, beach, run flat water and rough. Get an outboard.
The key is lots of open space so you have room for your toys snacks'n'juice and friends. Don't get one that's already crowded.

Bifflefan

Commander

Thanks for the input. I've decided not to buy and wait out finding what I really want. I'm fairly confident I could have made a decent profit, but I dont want to deal with the hassle of buying and having to resell before I could get what I want.

Spoken like a true Captain....

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Very, very wise. Congratulations!

gonefishie

Commander

So are you ever going to tell us the details of the boat and deal? Pics would be great if available. Maybe I'll buy it.