Mercury 200 92' oil injection problem

cdella

Cadet
Engine runs fine but smokes excessively, using lots of oil. Tried changing the check valve, didn't help. Thinking about a installing a new injection pump but my Mercury parts guy said, they almost never fail ! Can any one can provided insight to this problem?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 200 92' oil injection problem

Check carbs for leaking inlets needles, float height and idle adjustment--check oil tank venting--pump linkage for adjustment or sticking. Is the smoking at idle or at high speed? You did not say in your post and the speed that is smoking is a clue to carbs or oil system

cdella

Cadet

Laddies said:
Check carbs for leaking inlets needles, float height and idle adjustment--check oil tank venting--pump linkage for adjustment or sticking. Is the smoking at idle or at high speed? You did not say in your post and the speed that is smoking is a clue to carbs or oil system

cdella

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Carbs were rebuilt this past spring, mechanic assures me the needles aren't leaking and the float height is correct. Pump linkage was adjuste to spec's. The idle and low rpm's is when the smoke is appearent, at start it smokes excessively, seams to go away after I run at 4200.,and reapears after shut down and restart. Occasionally, every 3 or 4th trip, the motor starts but sputters as if not running on all 6. Then it becomes extremely difficult to start. I'm also considering shuting down the inject and go to manual mix .

Laddies

Banned

That could be idle adjustment (to rich) try to tilt the engine up at idle if it gets better it's to rich, a engine that is tucked under will run rich. The dropping of cyls could be a ign componat, the dropping of 2 cyls is usally a trigger and 3 a switch box, unfortunataly it's hard to track that kind of a miss with out a induction tach and a DVA

cdella

Cadet

Laddies said:
That could be idle adjustment (to rich) try to tilt the engine up at idle if it gets better it's to rich, a engine that is tucked under will run rich. The dropping of cyls could be a ign componat, the dropping of 2 cyls is usally a trigger and 3 a switch box, unfortunataly it's hard to track that kind of a miss with out a induction tach and a DVA

cdella

Cadet

Will try the tilt, I'm obviously no mechanic but the mechanic that services the boat claims idle isn't too rich. The cylinder drop only occurs at start, to me it appears to be oil fouled, I can see oil in the water at idle. I now have the boat in driveway, I started it today and again I see oil in exhaust water and plenty of white smoke although not as bad as when it was in the water, if that makes any sense!

Laddies

Banned

cdella, yes it could be loaded up plugs. I must tell you I am not a V/6 person and try not to work on them, there are some good V/6 guys out there on the forum and maybe some will jump in on this problem. Other common problems on the V/6--- The bleed hoses crack causing them to load up, have they been checked? Once in a while the primer solinoid will not stop the fuel flow competely--pinch off the supply line at the top carb and test run. A slight leak in the fuel pump diaphram will do it. Can you think of any thing leading up to the smoking? did it start all at once or get worse over a period of time?--Bob

cdella

Cadet

Laddies said:
cdella, yes it could be loaded up plugs. I must tell you I am not a V/6 person and try not to work on them, there are some good V/6 guys out there on the forum and maybe some will jump in on this problem. Other common problems on the V/6--- The bleed hoses crack causing them to load up, have they been checked? Once in a while the primer solinoid will not stop the fuel flow competely--pinch off the supply line at the top carb and test run. A slight leak in the fuel pump diaphram will do it. Can you think of any thing leading up to the smoking? did it start all at once or get worse over a period of time?--Bob

cdella

Cadet

Bob, Have not checked the bleed hoses, not sure where to look but I'll try the mercury manual to try to locate. I did change the fuel pump last season. The problem started last year a seems to be worst this year. The mechanic took the carbs off and soaked them over night which corrected my stall problem I had last season. He did mention the fuel to the carbs had too much oil in it and asked if I was manually mixing. He claims the best solution is to shut the injection system down. I'm reluctant to do so. My merc parts guy doesn't think the injection pump can put too much oil in the mix. Read a post that said to check the pressure release valve to the oil reserve located on the top of the engine. -- Carl

gss036

Commander

You sound like you have a manual, Mercury OE, ? If so it tells you how to check the oil flow and how to set it up with the marks on the linkage. That is about the only way you would get too much oil continually while running. Too much is better than Too little. Oil make blue some, fuel makes black smoke, water makes white steam.

cdella

Cadet

gss036 said:
You sound like you have a manual, Mercury OE, ? If so it tells you how to check the oil flow and how to set it up with the marks on the linkage. That is about the only way you would get too much oil continually while running. Too much is better than Too little. Oil make blue some, fuel makes black smoke, water makes white steam.

cdella

Cadet

Gary, the Mercury manual is an after market, does'nt have linkage adjustments in it. However a Mer guy showed me the proper linkage adjustment and thought it looked pretty good. I'll try to find a online link to view this set up. The smoke seems to be white, maybe with a tint of blue and smeels like burning oil.--Carl

gss036

Commander

I would suggest running premix in a seperate can and then disconnect the oil line to check the oil flow. Somewhere in the Mercury OE Manual it tells what the flow should be. at idle it mixes 100-1, at full RPM/Throttle it will mix 50-1.
Also, the check valves could keep pressure in the tank, forcing oil in the system, but that should not affect continous smoking while running, just heavy smoke on start-up. Try burning a synthetic blend oil, that will reduce some smoke but not completly. If you come in from a hard run and have heavy smoke at idle while docking, then I would say you are getting too much oil.

cdella

Cadet

gss036 said:
I would suggest running premix in a seperate can and then disconnect the oil line to check the oil flow. Somewhere in the Mercury OE Manual it tells what the flow should be. at idle it mixes 100-1, at full RPM/Throttle it will mix 50-1.
Also, the check valves could keep pressure in the tank, forcing oil in the system, but that should not affect continous smoking while running, just heavy smoke on start-up. Try burning a synthetic blend oil, that will reduce some smoke but not completly. If you come in from a hard run and have heavy smoke at idle while docking, then I would say you are getting too much oil.

cdella

Cadet

Tried the in line check valve but just noticed one on the reserve ont the engine I'll try. Thought of the seperate mix as a trial, will try that. It does smoke after a heavy run at dock, will also try the synth. blend. Thanks for your imput. --Carl

jhebert

Ensign

cdella said:
Gary, the Mercury manual is an after market, does'nt have linkage adjustments in it. However a Mer guy showed me the proper linkage adjustment and thought it looked pretty good. I'll try to find a online link to view this set up. The smoke seems to be white, maybe with a tint of blue and smeels like burning oil.--Carl

The adjustment procedure is described in

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html