Do I need a triple axle trailer? HELP!!

I recently was given a 1983 Chris Craft Calalina. It has rebuilt engines, new wiring, and all it really needs is a good clean-up and.... a trailer. I was told that I have to have a triple axle trailer to support/hold the 7500 pound boat. Can someone tell me what exactly I need? I am supposed to drive to Louisiana from Corpus Christi, Texas this coming Labor Day Weekend and I still haven't found a trailer. The specs for the boat are....

YEAR 1983
LOA 29'
MAKE Chris-Craft
BEAM 10'8"
MODEL 291 Catalina
DRAFT 2'5"
ENGINE MODEL Seamaxx 5.7L
HORSEPOWER 300
ENGINE HOURS 85
LENGTH FEET 29
WEIGHT 7500 LBS
CRUISING SPEED 30
HULL TYPE FIBERGLASS/COMPOSITE
FUEL (GALLONS) 175
ENGINE TYPE TWIN
WATER 25 GALLONS
FUEL GAS
CATEGORY CONVERTIBLE
BUILDER Chris-Craft

I would really appreciate the help, thanks again....

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Do I need a triple axle trailer? HELP!!

Cant help any on spcifics but you dont need a triple axle trailer :confused:
The RIGHT tandom axle will haul it :cool:
Sorry i'm not much help :redface:

Thank you for the the reply. I appreciate it, any help is great..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats dry weight before batteries,fuel and whatever else is in the boat.

Add the trailer weight and your up around the 10k area.
It would need to be one big heavy duty dual axle.
A triple would be the safest.

I hope your tow vehicle is a 3500 series truck..

thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'm gonna need to put some work in to be ready for the trip next weekend. If anyone has any suggestions on where I might be able to find a trailer please let me know. thanks...

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it would be easier to find a used triple axle trailer to handle it, although a tandem could work - but you'd probably need to have it custom built.

The issues are lenght, width and weight. You'll have to have axle brakes and you'll need a permit to trailer it in most all states since it's over 8 foot wide.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need a triple, not because of the axles, but because of the tires. Unless you're planning to haul the boat with a semi, the tires on a typical boat trailer are rated at 1500 pounds each. That's a max of 3,000 per axle.

Two axles = 6,000. Your boat = 7,500

Three axles = 9,000. Plenty of headroom for such niceties as fuel, beer and ice.

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 12,000 lb tandem trailer from Nextrail.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You seem to be missing the point that your boat has a 10 foot 8 iinch beam. Unless you have the proper permits you can't tow it six inches on a state/federal highway. The maximum legal width is 102 inches (8ft-6in).

scipper77

Commander

Would it be more cost effective to pay to have that thing moved? I would think that you will not be using that trailer much.

Bondo

Staff member

Looks like I'm gonna need to put some work in to be ready for the trip next weekend. BEAM 10'8"

Ayuh,... As stated by Silvertip,... You ain't towing that thing Anywhere,...Without Permits...

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not think you understand how big and heavy this boat is. To tow this boat safely, you need a trailer with a GWV of at least 10,000 lbs. You would be much better off with a triple axle trailer for this boat and you should be able find one with this type of rating. In many states you will be rquired to have brakes on each axle. The placement of the boat will be important for the boat for the proper balance of truck, tralier and boat on the highway.

NADA list the 291 CATALINA wwith a BRIDGE, make sure the height of boat and trailer will go under bridges, you might have to remove any accessories like radar, VHF antennas, biminis, etc

You also need to understand that you will need a wide load permit for each state the boat is towed in. Each state has it's own restrictions on time of day and days of the week that wide loads are permited to be towed. You also need a chase car with a flashing light on any state highways with this boat. With a 10' 8" wide beam, it is very easy to tell that it is a wide load and with the proper signage and flags, you will be stopped.

Your tow truck must be a one ton dually if you do not want to end up in the ditch. The largest serivce ticket my dealership every had is from a customer moving a boat this size with a Ford Excursion with a disiel engine. He lost control when a semi passed him and ended up in the ditch.

thank all of you for the help. I need to start looking at a way to get it shipped here. Thank you for all the help. When I get it down here, I will post pics and let you guys know how it went. Thank you and see you on the water....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, keep us posted because that is a cool ride:

l_29catalina.jpg

Here's one here at iboats . . They are twins, flybridge (Model 281 without I think) etc. etc. That dry weight is the most conservative I have ever seen, I am guessing bare hull, loaded up 15K easy :eek:

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Food for thought,
I delivered a 57' Chris Craft Fom LA - Vancouver Canada along the coast under it's own power. It was an unforgetable trip!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

our boat is 31 foot overall, wet weight approx 8500 pounds.
it has a ten foot beam.
so for us we got a tandem axle trailer that has a gvw of 11500 pound (eventhough the tires are rated to 3240 pounds per)
trailer weighs 2200 pounds approx, for a total of 10700 pounds approx.
so we are under the gvw by 800 pounds approx.
approx equals give or take 200 pounds
check to see if you can get a wide load permit for the season, as you are over 10.6, I do not know your states regs, but you may need a pilot car to move, or may only use secondary hwys?
rob

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

the tires on a typical boat trailer are rated at 1500 pounds each. That's a max of 3,000 per axle.
Huh? You can buy 16" tires that are rated at 3500# per tire.

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just don't go through the McDonald's drive through...:)

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

might be cheaper to hire a skipper to deliver the boat by water