tow vehicle question

JP Fla

Cadet
Have always used an SUV, considering a pickup, but concerned about wheel spin. Will be towing roughly 7000 lbs. Do you pickup users have this problem on steep ramps? Thanks.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tow vehicle question

Is it a 4X4??? Up north, you wouldn't even consider buy a truck without it, especially if you are pulling a 7K lb boat out of the water in the fall or spring. Since you're in FL though, you're probably OK because that amount of weight should keep the rear tires from spinning.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Regardless where you are, if you intend to tow with a two wheel drive pickup or car, it had better have a limited slip or locking differential. Otherwise the only time you have two wheel drive is when both wheels have exactly the same amount of traction. When one is less than the other you are stuck..

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can't go wrong with a 4x4 depends on how steep the ramp is-is it automatic? a lot of vehicles you can put in manual second to prevent wheel slip

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

any thoughts on a front wheel drive minivan pulling a 21 ft Bayliner, approx 3000 lbs. ?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

any thoughts on a front wheel drive minivan pulling a 21 ft Bayliner, approx 3000 lbs. ?

is the van actually rated for that much first of all?

You are going to be VERY lucky to actually load that boat up, even if it is rated for it. Front wheel drive vehicles don't make great loading vehicles...

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Have always used an SUV, considering a pickup, but concerned about wheel spin. Will be towing roughly 7000 lbs. Do you pickup users have this problem on steep ramps? Thanks.

I have a Suburban 2500, plenty of weight and capacity. My friends (with boats) all have pick-ups. None of them have any launch/retrieval issues (of course they have 4x4's). You should get 4 wheel drive but Florida is really not 4x4 state (rare at the dealer lots).

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

7k isn't a small task 4x4 would be a must for me.. I don't want my ability to launch at any ramp hindered by my vehicle..

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

..decided against towing with my fwd van, got a Jeep Cherokee instead...works great!

ReelPlumber

Seaman

7k isn't a small task 4x4 would be a must for me.. I don't want my ability to launch at any ramp hindered by my vehicle..

X2

The ramp we boat at is fairly steep. I see it to many times when the ramp is wet or gets an algae buildup the pick ups have problems with the heavy boats. It clogs up the ramp when they have to go and get another truck and tow strap to pull both up the ramp. If you do go with a pick up make it a dully or a 4WD.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Im a big supporter of 4X4 Trucks. The value of the system stays with the truck almost 100% for its life at re-sale.

Its a great insurance/comfort to have. You may never need it, but that one time you do, its invaluable.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I haven't had any slippage with my LeSabre at ramps but I'd say I have less than 4k lbs

Now will you folk's huss up!! I got a buddy in Fla. that says he makes a buck or two every now and then pulling people out.

Of course, I don't know how he sets his price.But I'm sure gender,or manners wouldn't matter none.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Jim

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Four wheel drive is over rated. I had 4x4's my whole life and now I went with a 2wd silverado 1500. Even in CT winters, I was using my 4x4 maybe 3 times a year. The amount of times I would use it, never made the increased cost, and maintainence worth it to me. More cost for the vehicle, less gas mileage... BUT if you went 2wd, a GOOD limited slip or automatic rear locker(like me) is a must for the steep launched. Also, dont get cheepo tires, that will not help. I routinely tow my boat to the launch, and its pretty steep there. no issues.

rexmitchell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Regardless where you are, if you intend to tow with a two wheel drive pickup or car, it had better have a limited slip or locking differential. Otherwise the only time you have two wheel drive is when both wheels have exactly the same amount of traction. When one is less than the other you are stuck..

+100, I have a nissan titan 4 door that is 2 wheel drive. I opted not to get the tow package which= no locking rear diff. I am pulling a boat that is roughly 5-6k and I have spun a few time at the ramp. I have to be super delicate when I pull out with just the right speed or I spin my back right tire like crazy. I have got it down now so it isn't a problem but the back end of the truck is light!

Yes see my above response. Dry ramp is ok, when it gets wet though its tricky. Never have gotten stuck though. Also have a couple hundred pounds of concrete that I can throw in the back end to help weigh it down.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't understand why this 7 month old thread got dug back up and is being re-debated. The original poster has never even checked back........

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HEy JP I live in punta gorda so I use all the ramps you use from ponce delion park to placida and I use a truck, its all I ever would use to pull a boat ( well I did pull a skiff with my jeep wrangler from ruskin to punta gorda but thats another story) I use a 2500 dodge ram diesel to dump my boat and have never had to put it in 4x4 to get out of the ramp, any 2500 ser truck would work for you seeing that you have a 7k load if you were around the 5k load then any 1500 ser truck would work for you, but a 1500 would work in a pinch, tho I have pulled 12k boats out with a 2wd dodge 1500 before but it was at the limits of its power and safty

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Four wheel drive is over rated. I had 4x4's my whole life and now I went with a 2wd silverado 1500. Even in CT winters, I was using my 4x4 maybe 3 times a year. The amount of times I would use it, never made the increased cost, and maintainence worth it to me. More cost for the vehicle, less gas mileage... BUT if you went 2wd, a GOOD limited slip or automatic rear locker(like me) is a must for the steep launched. Also, dont get cheepo tires, that will not help. I routinely tow my boat to the launch, and its pretty steep there. no issues.

You have much less boat than he does. I am guessing an 18ft boat with a 3.0L is what, 2500lbs on a short one axle trailer... loaded you are maybe 3500lbs?

Anyway, read my above statement. The 4wd is a good insurance policy, and the value never leaves the truck.

I had an Limited slip in my Ford F250 diesel, and all I can say is 4WD saves my butt a few times. 1 time at the boat ramp, and another off the top of my head was when my tires were in gravel and I had to drive up a 4" ledge to get on pavement. Way to much torque, rear tires just spin in gravel... put it in 4X4, and up over the ledge and on my way I went.

If you can count how many times you needed 4WD, you can probably cont how many times you would have been having someone pull you out in a 2wd truck.