Lower Susquehanna

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Lower Susquehanna

It's a bridge. You can't go up past that cluster of islands downstream from the bridge. The boat ramps that it shows there by the bridge are only for very shallow running boats.

Oh yeah? I know of people with aluminum boats and jet motors that literally going bouncing off of the rocks about the Route 30 bridge.

Although, I would never do that!! I haven't been any farther North than the group of 2 islands with a bunch of cabins on it.

The closet you can get to Safe Harbor is 1 mile upstream from it. They have a buoy line and warning signs on the shore.

That makes about an 8 mile stretch of boat-able water for me anyway. Kind of small compared to the Chesapeake bay!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I'm heading out to Lake Clarke after work today with my son using my dad's little tinny. It will be a slow cruise but it will be nice to get out on the water on this beautiful day.

How was the afternoon boat ride? Did you and your son have a great time?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so this is the next pond above peach bottom?

or is this 2 damns above the conawingo?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

2. I think you've got Lake Aldred in between there.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the ramp info.. I've been lurking on the "Boating on the Upper Cheasapeak" thread as well and finding good info there...

Spent 1/2 the day getting ready for easter dinner and the other 1/2 stringing new steering cables and installing new control cables, now fighting sunburn! Atleast I got that outta the way (sunburn).

If the weather holds for next weekend brother & I may launch for the first time this season. Probably go in above the Conowingo Dam some place. It's only a 40 minute ride for us and seems like a good place to recheck the tune-ups etc.

No marine radios yet but were staying close to shore. I'm taking FRS radios and will use channel 16.

Hoppy Easter and God Bless, Enjoy!!!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Has anyone ever seen any of these? Is it worth while? Not just for boating but general info.

http://www.lyhr.org/susriver_watertrail.htm

I think they are and would like to get one. At least if it is the map I am thinking it was.

At our last lunch with the Upper Chesapeake crowd, Arks had that map I believe and I though it was pretty good. Maybe you could send him a PM and see if it is the same thing and get his thoughts on it.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I am shooting to hit the ole suskie the weekend of the 16th.

Be prepared for record low temps, high winds, debris, ice, low water levels, flooding, or whatever else that can happen to keep me from finally getting the freakin boat in the water.:p

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys-
I realize it's EXTREMELY short notice, but I just found out the Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway is holding their "River Sweep" event around Garrett Island next Saturday 4/24. I attended last year and gotta say, it was VERY rewarding to pull all that debris from the waters we all use and love. They are always looking for more volunteers, so feel free to pre-register and join in. Workboats are welcome but not required. This is an excellent opportunity to LEGALLY walk around the historic and beautiful Garrett Island, because the LSHG has secured official permission from Blackwater NWR for the cleanup. As a reward for your efforts, every pre-registered participant will receive a free t-shirt and lunch!

At this point I'm not even sure if I can make it but I plan to de-winterize my jonboat tomorrow and rig it for 'trash service' just like last year. Here's a shot of some of the junk we recovered and YES- the jonboat is in there somewhere!
RiverSweep004.jpg

Here's the flyer for River Sweep:
http://www.hitourtrails.com/PDF/River Sweep 2010.pdf

And here's the registration form. Hope to see a few of you out there!
http://www.hitourtrails.com/Riversweep.html

Rob
PS- here's the thread I posted last year after River Sweep: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=305513

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it is still early yet, but I am dying to get the boat in the water. Is the weather ever going to get nice enough?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally!!!!!
A B-E-Atiful weekend!:)
And I have to work.:(

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

was wanting to go out also...I been working out of state alot and now im home for a few months and now i gotta get caught up on all my chores and of course my daughters car broke down yesterday just another thing to add to the 'not enough time to do list":D.. I did find enough time to get the boat ready ha ha just gotta seal the teak swim platform and im totaly ready. BTW are the docks in yet at lock 2 (longlevel)?? if not I bet it was a long long wait yesterday..
Denny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was supposed to go out Friday evening but it was WINDY

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I was supposed to go out Friday evening but it was WINDY

we were working in n wildwood nj last week took a half day friday to do some bank fishing for blues before comming home we were fishing the back bays and you would think we were in the ocean "very windy" we had no luck but seen a few nice blues caught.
Denny

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought I was going to go out Sat. afternoon but it sounds like it is going to be windy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We just got winded out today. Drove down there and everything. If I'd had my boat, we would have gone out. In the 14' tinny? No.