1966 9.5hp need help

bkbailes07

Cadet
i have a 1966 9.5hp evinrude model # 9622 A.
i have replaced the spark plugs and have new fuel line from fuel filter to carbeurator.
i can get the engine to run in idle with alot of gas but if throttled down it will die. it will also die if put into drive.
what do i need to do?

bkbailes07

Cadet
Re: 1966 9.5hp need help

from what ive learned so far is that it is most likely the starter coils...just want to make sure im on the right track (where and what do they do?). also what is the best way to clean a carbeurator? and do i need to do anything to the fuel filter? anything else im missing to get it to run nicely?

Rick.

Captain

Hello. I'm no expert ( far from it) but I'm sure a little more information would be helpful. Has it been running fine until recently or has it come out of years of storage? Does it stay running if you keep pumping the fuel line? Some previous postings are good at giving a systematic approach to going through a bunch of steps to bring it back to good health. One of the first things the knowledgeable fellows are going to ask is what are the compression numbers. Might be a good idea to test it and have them ready when asked. Good luck. Rick.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Does it run well at all speeds other than idle? If so then usually it is the carb and a rebuild kit is in order. If the coils are original you will need new ones eventually anyway though.

bkbailes07

Cadet

how do i measure the compression?
it hasnt been run for about 1-2 years. we had it out on the water in a slow forward and when we gave it more gas it died and wouldnt restart.

now it will start in idle if given alot of gas but will die if throttled down. when i tried to put it in forward it would run for a few seconds then die.

bkbailes07

Cadet

this morning i got the motor to run and was messing with the lean and rich knob so that i could idle it down more. it was running perfectly in forward, neutral, and reverse however, i idled it to slowly and it died and wont restart now.
what is causing this period of not being able to restart after running?

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to try adjusting your carb first. Check Joe's excellent article at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352. My 71 9.5 had trouble idling with the proper gas/air mixture because the slow speed mixture was too rich, which causes the plugs to load up. Just turning the slow speed needle jet knob on the front of the engine in to the right is how to adjust it to lean it out. Also, if you're not aware, there's an idle speed adjustment on the tiller handle you can turn clockwise to increase idle speed. Note this is different than slow speed needle jet adjustment. When it dies, it is dying becuase it doesn't have enough engine rpm or does it die because it coughs? If it's just rpm, that's easy to fix.

See if it's better or worse when you pull the choke. If worse, that means the mixture is already too rich, so it's getting plenty of gas at slow speeds, so you need to lean it out. Start with the slow speed adjustment needle. Keep in mind those slow speed adjustment needles wear out with age, so you may need to turn it out 1/2 a turn from lightly seating to get it to idle clean.

If it gets better at idle when you pull the choke, that means it's too lean. See if turn the slow speed mixture knob out (counter-clockwise) makes it better as you richen the slow speed mixture. Hopefully this will help you in determining where the problem is.

If it's too lean at idle, that means it's likely the slow speed ports are clogged. You'll need to pull the carb and float chamber base off to rebuild it like samo says. It's a real simple carb though. For some pics of a 71 9.5 HP carb, see http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=213715.

If it's sat for 1 - 2 years, it's likely needs carb attention. Also, see if pumping the fuel line bulb helps it to run when you hit the gas on the water - if it helps, that means fuel pump needs to be replaced. You might want to also read the thread I used to resolve issues with my motor at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=211165. To check compression, you'll need a compression gauge, about $20 from a auto parts shop, but get the kind you screw into the head. Your motor needs to be at least 60 psi, with no more than 10 - 15% difference between the two cylinders.

bkbailes07

Cadet

how can i get to the ingnition coils? also is there anywhere that has a diagram of an engine and explains some of the basics?

bkbailes07

Cadet

i did a carb pack on it today and now it is starting and running fine, however now it will not go into gear. i can flip the lever very easily from neutral to forward and to reverse but the propellar will not spin. any suggestions? also i cannot get the flywheel off right now because there is a broken screw in there and will have to ez out it.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool - great news on the running anyway. BRP has a parts catalog at http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e, but it only goes back to 1968. You're motor might be the same as the 68. I think my 71 Johnson 9.5 is the same as the 1969, and maybe up to 1973. You might try removing the cowl/cover and as you put it into gear, make sure the adjustment screw is tight. See pic #1. Pic #2 shows bolts to get lower unit off so if you can see if the shift coupler is connected - pic #3. If you've got lower unit off, check that the shift lever moves the shift rod there. If so, you might have a problem with the clutch dog in the lower unit gearcase.

Attachments

• LowerUnitBolts.JPG
    LowerUnitBolts.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • WaterPickUpTube.JPG
    WaterPickUpTube.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ShiftLeverAdjustmentScrew.JPG
    ShiftLeverAdjustmentScrew.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's good it's running well. But the prop doesn't spin? Did it spin before? What has changed? It's possible it's a spun hub on the prop or a busted shear pin (if the 9.5's have em). Check this forum for info on how to test for a spun hub.

bkbailes07

Cadet

the prop will spin slightly but is very easy to stop with a pole. i have checked the bolt in pic #1 and it is fine do i will check the other 2 pictures later tonight.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, didn't realize it span a little. :) The 9.5's do have a shear pin behind the prop and that's likely the problem. Screw the propeller nut off after removing the cotter pin, pull the prop and the shear pin is behind that. It should go through the prop shaft and stick out about 1/2 inch on each side to lock the prop to the shaft.

bkbailes07

Cadet

i have found the problem with the prop. it lines up nicely with everything on the prop shaft but there is a cylinder inside the prop that is removable and is spinning leaving the prop motionless.