cable vs strap

• Strap

Votes: 218 90.1%
  • Cable

Votes: 24 9.9%

• Total voters

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
OK, question of the day, How many here use a cable winch and how many use a strap. Bonus for why you prefer what you do.

I personally prefer the strap. You can see damage easier, they dont rust, they dont tangle in the spool as easily, and I think that they provide a bit of shock absorbtion for the hull when they are tight.

skargo

Banned
Re: cable vs strap

I pulled the cable off and put a heavy duty strap on mine. Safer IMO. I use an 8K pound warn winch on my rock crawler, and it has synthetic line on it, instead of cable. Safer too.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you will never get a splinter from a strap.....a frayed cable hurts

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Power winch - stainless aircraft cable

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Currently cable. Still in as good a condition as it was when new. When it does need replacing then I will maybe try a strap.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stainless(?) cable.
New electric came with it.
Still, good as new, but when the time comes I'll be thinking strap.:D

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

strap is forgiving and wont kink if left slack while retriving or launching, also it just sounds better to say i'm strapped:D

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've never had a strap pinch in between other layers of strap. Cable or Rope seems like I cant get away from it getting pinched. Strange because I have a winch for my Cherokee and no problems with that.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Strap, but not because that was my preference; it is what came with the rig when we bought the boat. Thinking about it, though, if I did have a choice I'd probably go with strap. Either way, I'd try my darndest to keep both out of the elements when not in use, and always use a safety chain.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Strap, If it ever brakes its easer to pull extra off and tie it back to the hook. Just to get you home.

Pallasi

Recruit

Strap, or a synthetic like PolySteel that's as strong as the same diameter steel cable. Amazing stuff.

Had a new trailer delivered at work this spring, straight from the manufacturer loaded with ordinary three strand blue poly. Damaged no less. Not pleasant thinking about that snapping next to my head. Idiots. :mad:

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rope & Hook plus safety chain on both trailers. Never unwinds more than 6 inches. I drive in on. 16ft Crestiner & 18ft StarCraft Bow Rider I/O.

NYBo

Admiral

I have a cable but will be replacing it with a strap.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had to think about it, but do remember getting a few stray wires in my fingers on the old boat. I don't like the way the straps stretch, but think I'll stick with them. As was mentioned, a broken strap can be retied in a pinch.

Ian

jkust

Rear Admiral

Strap because it came with the trailer. The strap is the only thing on the whole rig that has needed to be replaced however.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine came with a cable...fairly new, but the prior owner tangled it.

I had to use my rotary tool with a cut off wheel to remove the cable.

Nothing but strap for me for now on.