• Strap

Votes: 218 90.1%
  • Cable

Votes: 24 9.9%

• Total voters

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cable vs strap

i have a strap cuz thats what the trailer came with. i have used cables before and dont really have a preference. they are both effective. i feel a little safer with a cable as strap type material is very east to cut when the material is under pressure so i check the strap and safety everytime i get out of the truck while towing.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Straps!
I cringe whenever I see a cable or rope on a boat trailer.
My fishing boat came with a cable. Before I ever even left the yard with it, I put on a new strap.

My car hauler is the ONLY trailer I own that has a cable on it.

reelfishin

Captain

I tend to prefer a strap, but mostly for the shear lack of wire cuts from fraying cables. On larger, heavier boats I think sometimes a cable is the way to go. I've had a few straps break under stress. Those that broke separated from the hook at where they were stitched, both were new or close to new and from a major name brand.

On a small aluminum boat, rope works just fine, after all, on those boats you can usually just pull the boat on buy hand anyway. My 12 and 14' boats use rope and have for years with no issues.

The one thing I don't like about straps is the stretch and how they tend to slip until they are packed tight on the spool. They can also distort or bend the mounting bolt through the spool. They also reduce spool capacity since the bolt often makes the effective spool hub diameter larger. You often can't get a 20' strap onto a smaller winch spool. Meaning you often have to go to a heavier winch than needed.
It's also hard to find the right width strap to fit wider spools.

A strap can also tend to fold over on itself if not perfectly aligned with the load. Nearly all of mine require a free hand to guide the strap to keep it spooled flat.

skargo

Banned

I use a heavy duty winch strap from Fulton.
34959.gif

4K winch load, more than enough for a boat floating.

I still have a steel cable on my flatbed's 8K lb winch, but will replace it with Amsteel blue synthetic winch line like is on my rock crawler. A steel cable can KILL you when it lets go!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I like the strap better than the cable that came on the trailer. Used the cable one time and then bought a new winch with strap.

californiak

Cadet

OK this is a stupid question but I need to know if the strap winds over or under the hub? My son replaced the strap on our boat and the strap comes out under the hub. I think it should come out over the hub. It may not matter but I would like to know the correct way for safety reasons.

Thank you

BTW, the winch is Dutton Lainson DL1100, boat is Bayliner Capri 1950

skargo

Banned

OK this is a stupid question but I need to know if the strap winds over or under the hub? My son replaced the strap on our boat and the strap comes out under the hub. I think it should come out over the hub. It may not matter but I would like to know the correct way for safety reasons.

Thank you

I would hazzard a guess and say it does not matter. I pulled my cable off, then replaced a strap on my current winch amd hinestly don't remember how it was originally situated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thank you

By moving the strap from over the hub to under the hub you've actually decreased the torque being transferred to the winch post which is a good thing.

The one thing you do need to watch for is the way the ratchet lock is oriented. Some winches do warn that the strap has to be installed one way or the other because of the racket mechanism.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Strap here too, had a huge cable splinter 3 inches long in my palm one. ouch

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got trailers with rope, cable, and strap. The stap just never seems to go on straight. The min I look at where the boat is going and not where the strap is going it's twisted. 1 for cable.

Tom

jonesg

Admiral

My old strap broke, replaced it with nylon covered cable, doesn't bind up or pinch or splinter. And its limp when not under tension.

Good cables are like good straps, they cost more than the junk ones.
I've seen perfect looking straps rip,
safe to say if you pay a good price you get a strong quality strap.

I don't think marinas sell really good cable for hand winches, strong yeh but if it pokes me in the eye as soon as I open the package I don't want it.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmm, good post, with interesting points for each.

I may re-think my original comment about replacing w/ strap when needed.

Never really had a prob w/ a well maintained cable.
Never like the slinky effect of rope.
Straps twisting, slipping, etc. are good (remembered) points.

But, the roped cable sounds good! :D

Thanks jonesg. ;) (where did you find that stuff?)

reelfishin

Captain

Thank you

It makes no difference as long as the ratchet works both ways too. I've had a few trailers on which I could only get the right cable orientation or path with it wound under the spool instead of over. On some, having those few inches of added height can help lift the bow of the boat onto the trailer at the start.
I've had a few boats that were tough to get up on the first set of rollers at shallow ramps.

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Strap.

We've always had a cable on this trailer, and I though nothing of it. The cable snapped while loading a few weeks ago, and I grabbed a new Reese winch for $40 at Wallmart (I got sent there to buy motor oil, and discovered the boating section)

It wasn't untill I was bolting it on at like 2am that night that I noticed it was strap. I though "what the heck"

I'm in love now. Looks better, feels better, doesn't scrape or cut me, seems to be far easier to winch, and I think it packs more feet of line on a spool.

I'll go strap anytime I can now.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Another one for strap here. Also for the reasons already stated.

However, I will have to check into this coated cable and poly cable you guys are talking about. Sounds like some good stuff.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just like the strap a lot better. Never gotten stuck in the hand using the strap.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Strap. Been bit by the cable too many times in the past.

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

I'm a strap lover... I had a cable and replaced it with a strap. The cable tends to get frayed and cut your hands. That being said, I have a 15ft fiberglass, if I had a 28 ft cruiser, maybe a cable would be the way to go!