Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

flingus

Seaman
Re: Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

Before I had a boat, I would have killed to have a friend with one. Well, I did for a while but, he drove horribly. I found out later the reason he spazzed around the lake and drove so bad was he was snorting coke but, thats another story..

Now I have my own boat and no one seems to want to get out on the lake. Its a 22 foot cuddy so, its not uncomfortable, and the weather in Georgia is beautiful. I love the boat but, sometimes I wish I had a smaller one so I could get out there by myself.

If the Army Core Of Engineers ever ends the moratorium, I'll be getting my own dock so I can go out whenever I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, this is a rough quote from a play but, it holds very true sometimes.

"Hell is other people!"

I will have to say though, I do have some friends that make it out on the lake with me sometimes and we have a great time. Its 50/50. :)

I am not a cat person but, that is too cool!

fishrdan

Admiral

Let me guess, female cat???

Pic should read...

IMG_2303.jpg

WHAT, did YOU do, with the land!?! (Those eyes are big LOL)

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

haha that cat is like "holy **** I'm in hell, a never ending bath tub!"

95BRfun

Cadet

My wife and I just had this conversation. We always have people say they want to go, and then back out at the last minute. This is fine with me really. Wife can drive and pull me on the wakeboard, tub, and ski, and does one hell of a job behind the wheel. She doesn't whine about wanting to go in, or bugs, and loves to ride on the bow and drink a beer, Can back to trailer too! She's a great boating partner!

The only time this kinda chaps my gills is when other people want to go, and I have to say "sorry already have some people goin" cause we don't have a huge boat, and the they back out and we could have taken the others out after all. I like to share our boating with friends, because I haven't always been lucky enough to have a boat to enjoy and have some friends that I really enjoy being with on the water.

Our solution has become double booking!! LOL We always make plans with more than one couple or group of friends, and so far, not once have we be chaught at it! With our fail one of them backs out and we all have a good time!!

And if I want to go solo, they wouldn't even know I was goin. I'd be on the water before they knew I was gone. :cool:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd say anyone who commits and then bails, unless they are bleeding, doesn't get invited again. Except your fishing/hunting buddies. Good friends can do that to each other (and steal the other's last beer).

95BRfun you have a good wife (sounds like mine). Since we got a bigger boat we thoroughly enjoy spending time together on it. (BTW is your name a take-of from the doubly famous BR-549?)

95BRfun

Cadet

I'd say anyone who commits and then bails, unless they are bleeding, doesn't get invited again. Except your fishing/hunting buddies. Good friends can do that to each other (and steal the other's last beer).

95BRfun you have a good wife (sounds like mine). Since we got a bigger boat we thoroughly enjoy spending time together on it. (BTW is your name a take-of from the doubly famous BR-549?)

Yes, she's a ton of fun and my best friend. We have a blast on the boat together! Glad you get to enjoy that too!

As for my name, Yeah it is Kinda like that! Thats a joke between myself and a buddy. I have a 1995 Bow Rider- so 95BR is what he calls the boat. We I first got it he said "BR-549" I said yeah maybe where you went to school!

reeloutrageous

Recruit

OHHH! You've touched a nerve. My problem is that the guys I take fishin' with me are tight bastards. They can watch me put $80 worth of diesel in my truck, $50 in the boat, buy ice, water, beer, launch fees,etc and then either say, "I forgot my wallet, catch you next time or here's $11.00 to pay for fuel. Maybe it's my own fault, but I hate to ask or hint around. So now I just go on my own. **** on them. I'm thinking of naming the boat "This boat don't run on thanks".
On top of that most of them have there own boat so they should realize the expenses of owning a boat.
It's kind of a pain launching and re-trailering a 22' boat, but then again I don't have to put up with anyones BS.

slongholio

Seaman Apprentice

I go alone almost always. Then once I get settled in, I give a few friends a call and see if they want to meet me at the dock.

If they do, I just buzz down there when they're ready.

Same applies to the wife, she takes an extra 45 minutes to be ready to go...

And everyone knows my 3 rules.

1. Be safe.
2. Have fun.
3. If you're breaking rule #1 or #2, let me know where you want out at.

I'm one of those people that don't need others around to enjoy myself though, so your mileage may vary.

skargo

Banned

I still don't get why people are having a hard time launching 21'+ boats solo? I'm a newb and do it all the time.

cristileigh

Cadet

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

It's a got darn beautiful night tonight, my friend and his wife who were going to come out tonight all of a sudden decide they would rather go "look at a camera."

They are freakin LUCKY I actually spent some time out on the water w/ a girl. Otherwise I'd be PISSED as hell that I had lugged a cooler full of beers (ok, they gave me the beers 2 days ago) to the boat (and now back here home)...

I also have some boater friends who are just being ****ing lame lately. WTF - do they not know that summer is half over here??? and we spend 8 months of the year under 70 degrees???

I'm just ranting right now because I'm starting to get tired of asking people to come out on the water and having them say no or come up with some BULL**** reason not to.

I'm about 75% ready to just never invite people out anymore and spend the rest of the summer on the boat myself and go make some friends out on the water!!!

I use to have a Pontoon Party Barge...and I too was always shocked at the number of my friends that were just "too busy" to go out on the lake.. Hell if I didn't have a boat I'd be finding a friend that did! LOL...
I learned that some people just don't "get it" like we do.. Some people don't dream all week about getting out to the lake... Its there loss... But yes, I too was suprised when my friends would back out and not make it to the lake for some stupid reason like looking at a camera LOL

The best place to meet people that love boating...is ummmmmmmm... at the LAKE! LOL

cristileigh

Cadet

OHHH! You've touched a nerve. My problem is that the guys I take fishin' with me are tight bastards. They can watch me put $80 worth of diesel in my truck, $50 in the boat, buy ice, water, beer, launch fees,etc and then either say, "I forgot my wallet, catch you next time or here's $11.00 to pay for fuel. Maybe it's my own fault, but I hate to ask or hint around. So now I just go on my own. **** on them. I'm thinking of naming the boat "This boat don't run on thanks".
On top of that most of them have there own boat so they should realize the expenses of owning a boat.
It's kind of a pain launching and re-trailering a 22' boat, but then again I don't have to put up with anyones BS.

AGREE!!! The friends that did go...usually weren't boat lovers, but free loaders LOL

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Used to fish out of Redondo Beach on my own all the time..Was too easy, they have a hoist that pulls ya off the trailer and sets ya in the water..
Some of my best times were white sea bass fishing off the PV coast outside the kelp beds..ALONE! lol

I took my B.I.L's cousin and my little nephew once..nephew got sea sick..The guy thought my 35 horse rude (an OLD lark) was running "rough" and started twisting the mixture screws before I could get a flying gaff into him..ya..almost had to be towed back in that day

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I like it when people offer to pay for gas, but I usually decline, on the basis that I would be going anyway. But that's cruising/fishing, which is different from tubing-type sports: that uses a lot of gas for their jollies.
Also I often go with or take other boaters so it just breaks even. I still always offer.
But going back to who you take: a good guest should bring something useful like ice without asking, or give you a bottle of good liquor later on, or a gas card, gift cert to marine store, etc. A membership to Coastal Conservation or similar organization, or magazine subscription is nice. I guess I'm saying I don't want to be paid but I do want to be appreciated.

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, yep. I have a 28' cruiser, last fuel up over $300 in front of 7 "friends" and not one passed the hat. Rarely bring extra beers for the captain. I just won't invite them back or charge them a cover charge ;)

Why o why w/ all the nice light canned beer do boat passengers insist on bringing freakin BOTTLES on the boat? LOL

My GF's friend brought freakin blueberries! Those things stain! I told her, no blueberries. What does she bring the very next weekend? BLUEBERRIES but at least she brought plastic bottles. sheeeesh......

Toilet? let's not even go there......

I've had people ask if we can pick them up at a different location on the lake and drop them off. LOL. Did anyone see the yellow stripe and taxi light on my boat? Cuz it isn't yellow and it doesn't have a taxi light!

The joys of boating! I wouldn't have it any other way. I think i'll only invite other boat owners or former boat owners from now on, they are the only ones who understand.

ultrarunner

Cadet

Don't really hunt or fish, but a neighbor invited me and friends from his work up to his fishing cabin about 7 miles back on 4wd roads... had a nice weekend.

When we got back... I went over to his place and washed downed the wagoneer and gave him a gas card for a fill-up... the jeep would get REALLY dirty on that road!

When he retired and moved away, he called and said he wanted to give me his fishing gear and boat stuff... I thanked him but asked why me?

He said I was the only guy that ever offered to help... he said might as well go out alone when extra people equals more expense and trouble...

I tend not to go too much these days unless the nieces and nephew ask to go... oldest is 8 and it doesn't matter where we go... I just like seeing the excitement of the kids...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting to hear all your stories. I boat by myself 80-90 percent of the time and was starting to think there was something wrong with me but I see the alone time is important to alot of people.

I do like taking friends around to show them the lake and occasionally one or two admit they really love the rides, but for the most part I get the feeling people can take it or leave it. Not me. It's like a hunger in my bones or something -- it's the only place I really feel content. Get a nice sparkle off the water, I'm up on an easy plane, the spray is flying, the motor is humming, standing at the helm with the wind in my face. I always say the same thing out loud to myself. "Oh man -- this is sooo good for the soul." And it is! :)

When I used to do a lot of boating on Lake Ontario by myself I'd get some funny looks coming back in after dark. There'd be people hanging around the launch ramps just enjoying the summer evening and I'd pull up. I felt like I was coming back to visit the poor earthlings after a flight through space or something.

My six rules of after dark solo boating: (1. Wear the PFD - 2. Carry a flarepack on your belt - 3. Carry a radio - 4. Use your kill switch lanyard - 5. Stick to water you know well - 6. File a floatplan with someone.)

47pilot

Cadet

I'd say I'd trade that complaint over not being close to a boat ramp. I could care less if people flake. I'm just glad I live within 15 min of being able to put my boat in the water, friends or no friends. I remember back when I had to drive 2 hours just to get to a lake.

skargo

Banned

sure, she's my sazzyazz.... that's her name.. ;)

IMG_2207.jpg

snoozing in 'her' cuddy (closed bow speed boat)

IMG_4460.jpg

relaxing up ft...

IMG_2303.jpg

after looking out the window to see what's up.. :eek:

i suppose most think i'm crazy. but i don't have a dog and when reading about boats i here of the ships cat. but never the ships dog. so i figured i'd see how it goes...
so far... it generally takes her about an hour to get used to it, then she's up for relaxing..
Just snapped a pic of our little girl who looks a LOT like your first mate!

5900_239975265651_554955651_7787713_1567093_n.jpg

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just do your drinking early enough that you're not impaired when you decide to head for the dock. Otherwise go have a ball!
Only precaution I take when I go alone is to let someone know when I'll be back to check up on me; and when I swim in the river; I tie a rope from a cleat to my pfd.
-br