Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

bullet94

Cadet
Re: Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

i go out all the time by myself,it's therapy,plus it's hard to get people up and moving at 0500

ziggy

Admiral

beautiful cat skargo. they certainly do have similar markings.

just another day today. went out by myself again. didn't even take the cat... :( i was on a mission though. i'd over heated in my driveway on the hose last night. wanted to be sure nothing was wrong with her... she purred like a kitten... i am referring to the boat now of course.. ;)

home cookin... thanks for the compliment, it's preservation
fishrdan.... yep a female... and her big eyes are most informitive i think too.....

sure looks like a lot of boating addicts around here to me. all going out by your selves for therapy and all... :D;) oh, forgot to say i had a nice therapeutic swim today by myself too. just me and my pfd and a line..... :)

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problems some others have,
you don't want to blow your horn when a buddy says, i'll be ready at 3:30 am. : If you go to a sandbar,TAKE YOUR OWN BOAT!! : if you ride with friends, you run the risk that they end up partying with other friends and YOU! need to get back! I fish. so I go out alone a lot. The big fun is landing some good bass early morning and then running back across lake when there are few boats on the water, it's calming to run two miles on full plane and never hit a wave. And make it back just in time for breakfast. I love boating!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I can related to just about everything everyone has said here...

I have had a boat since I was 12 (guess I was spoiled)... and it seemed that all through high school/college, etc. I was the only one in my group of "friends" that even had a boat... (they were all goth and not very outdoorsy).

Well after almost 20 years of taking "friends" out, and not once EVER being offered any money to cover the expense, I gave up on it! (Guess i'm thick headed). I always thought I needed to have company on the boat, but now I go alone a lot and its soooo much better, more relaxing, less stress, and easier too without all the whining about this or that!

The only people I take out these days are the Mrs. and my son whose is loving it! He just finished all of his swimming lessons, and has become a real fish! I thoroughly enjoy taking him out to the springs to enjoy a day of swimming and relaxation.

I don't think I will ever take my "friends" out on the boat again... but funny thing... I haven't heard from most of them in years now since I stopped all the free rides... makes you wonder how good of "friends" they were in the first place!

Flying Sushi

Seaman

Everyone wants to ride our boat?. However, no one wants to drive it and I ended up driving all the time? I want to ski or wakeboard for a change?...

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last vacation I spent almost 4 days in the boonies alone. My dogs cart my raft and 2hp out to a lake and I fish for trout.

When I have taken people there I've asked them not to tell anyone where it is. 100% have agreed and then blabbed about it to all their friends.

There will be no more of that...

It is dangerous, but if you're smart about it I don't think it is much more dangerous than driving around with some of the wackos I see on the roads.

I did have a couple close calls there - I had a pfd on but that wasn't what saved me...wool pants and shirt under my rain suit did...that lake is incredibly cold all year long. Definitely was not worth diving in after a rod that came out of the holder :rolleyes: Lesson two - don't smoke in an inflatable PERIOD.

slongholio

Seaman Apprentice

Why o why w/ all the nice light canned beer do boat passengers insist on bringing freakin BOTTLES on the boat? LOL

My GF's friend brought freakin blueberries! Those things stain! I told her, no blueberries. What does she bring the very next weekend? BLUEBERRIES but at least she brought plastic bottles. sheeeesh......

I bring bottles because I don't like it out of cans. Well, on my boat anyway. I'd bring cans if I was going on someone else's though.

Oh, and my wife likes to bring wine. I make her put it in a sippy cup after that last incident with her sitting in the bow with it while we were cruising. It's a amazing how much boat you can paint burgandy from just one glass of wine bouncing out from a rouge wave while cruising about 35 mph. LoL at that looking back at it. No stains since we stopped immediately and wiped it all up, but it took a good long while to find every spec of it.

slongholio

Seaman Apprentice

Everyone wants to ride our boat?. However, no one wants to drive it and I ended up driving all the time? I want to ski or wakeboard for a change?...

Now that does annoy me when trying to get to a busy gas dock, or get the anchor situated near other boats, and no one wants to get up and grab a line or push off if needed, or put the fenders on while I'm trying to navigate the docks.

Idle time

Cadet

Hey Folks, I go alone almost every friday night. My bayliner is easy to launch and retrieve and dont have to worry about anyone but myself. It is my time with the boat and keeps me sane.LOL Most people dont understand the cost etc involved when out for a day. They just want the fun and not the work. Idle time and me have a bond that cant be broken.LOL

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL!!! I think everybody is missing the point here. this guy wants somebody to drive his boat while he ski's behind it. you would think with the amount of unemployed people around this great country, you could find somebody on unemployment that would want to drive a boat around the lake for a couple hours. sounds to me like you need to find some better friends. one to drive, and one to watch you wipe out. start searching your local taverns early in the day before the locals start getting tanked. good luck, and have fun!!

ok this is probably a stupid question, How do you launch a boat on your own? You trust your park brake on the ramp that much?

skargo

Banned

ok this is probably a stupid question, How do you launch a boat on your own? You trust your park brake on the ramp that much?

I put my truck in 4 lo, put the parking brake on, and put it in park. It's not going anywhere.

Idle time

Cadet

I have a systematic way of lauching myself. Never had a problem.HAHA.I can get in and out faster than some folks ive seen with 2 or 3 people.(Knocking on wood) I have learned the only stupid question is the 1 ya didn`t ask when it comes to boating.;)

Idle time

Cadet

I have a systematic way of lauching myself. Never had a problem.HAHA.I can get in and out faster than some folks ive seen with 2 or 3 people.(Knocking on wood) I have learned the only stupid question is the 1 ya didn`t ask when it comes to boating.;)

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I feel the pain too. My friends are just too cheap to chip in for gas. It was all cool whne I had it full and they just happened to tag along but as far as planning a trip and splitting costs (not to mention I dont figure in oil, wear and tear, ect) they all disappear. I'd just find friends on the water with boats, who knows you can trade weekends. I am thinking of just getting more affluent friends so I can boat all the time

ziggy

Admiral

:D
I am thinking of just getting more affluent friends so I can boat all the time
:D being generally poor, i think that's funny. maybe i should look into this too...

I go out alone constantly.....

Don't get me wrong, I love going out on the lake with the wife and kids; tubing, swimming, and checking out all the cool "dock towns" on Lake Winnipesaukee.

But nothing beats a hot summer night on the boat at and/or just past sunset.
I also like to go out before sunrise and watch it come up while I'm drifting where ever the current and wakes wanna put me.

I was floating around one night hanging out on my sundeck listening to tunes and enjoying the quiet times when another guy floated by me doing the exact same thing, except he was drinking a beer and smoking a stogie.

So, I guess I'm not alone here !!!

We are really lucky here....
In the summer I look up at the mountains (which surround our lake) from the water

and in the winter I look out at the lake from the top of the mountain (snowboarding)

I live at the base of a mountain that touches the water, so I couldn't ask for a better spot to live, work, and especially.....play!

So, once in a while it's nice to stop and take it in and I can't think of a better way than the front row seat you get when you are on the water.......

Happy Boating !!!!

2003 Mariah SC21

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I've always preferred to go out alone with a few exceptions, which I'll mention later.

I only go in order to fish and relax. No water skiing or other recreational boating that others enjoy so much. Nothing against it, it's just not my thing.

I guess I'm selfish, but when I go out, I like to do what I want to do and fish the way I want to fish. I don't want to have to wait until someone else is ready to go out, or come in when they want to come in. Or troll because they want to troll when I want to cast the banks. Or vice versa.

And, of course, there's the issue of financial and physical help. The last time I took someone else with me he assured me that he had his own equipment. He showed up at my house on time with one old rod and a reel that the pawl and guide was worn out on. He had a few old battered up plugs and nothing else. He ended up borrowing one of my good rod and reels and used my plugs for the most part because he didn't have anything of the "right color".

I have to say he didn't do any damage to my equipment or plugs so that's a point in his favor. And, he did catch some of the fish. But, he spent almost as much time untangling backlashes as he did fishing. That was OK because it was time to change the line on that reel anyhow.

We filled up with gas on the way and he conveniently went to the restroom while I paid for the gas and some munchies to supplement our lunch. At least he did bring his own lunch.

The bass didn't start hitting until almost one in the afternoon and at one fifteen he announced that he thought maybe we should start home pretty soon since he had told his wife he would be home by about three and we were an hour and a half from home. Needless to say we didn't start home until I got ready - almost five o'clock.

We got to my house and he grabbed his half of the fish and took off for home mumbling about his wife being mad at him. Didn't even say thanks to me.

I backed the boat in and unloaded everything. Which, in this case, included batteries and trolling motor as well as tackle and tackle boxes.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: He stood by and watched while I launched the boat and took it out by myself at the end of the day.

Next time I saw him he mentioned going again. I assured him we would go again - sometime. And, we probably will. As soon as hell freezes over.

Now for the exceptions: My wife, who is a fantastic fishing partner. She does her share of the work and then some. My two grandsons. One sixteen and one eighteen. Good partners either separately or together. My dog, who is content to lay down in the bottom of the boat all day and all he asks is an occasional chance to frolic in the water. His only bad point is his propensity for rolling in dead fish or anything else equally repugnant. That I can put up with, for the sake of his companionship.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Since I made this post I have begun to see how great going out alone is.

I've actually made a few new friends in the past weeks that love boating, and I'e taken them out quite a bit too, however, because of the weather on land yesterday nobody wanted to join me.

It was actually sort of nice, I grabbed 2 beers, one tray of ice, threw it in a bag and off I went.

No worrying about where to meet, what to eat, who's bringing what.

Went out, laid on the swim platform with my phone off. It was the first time in about a month that I went out alone and it was def what I needed.

skargo

Banned

I look forward to my Fridays, and going out alone, it is good for the soul! Even when I get caught in a storm like this Friday!