Strange Starting Problems

4bbl

Cadet
Hello, this is my first post and my first boat, your web page is great!!
I have a 1994 Maxum 1800sr2 4.3lx Merc. The boat on start up is giving me a lot of problems and headaches.... Once it starts, it runs like a million bucks, it will do 55mph with no hesitations or hiccups, I can turn it off and restart it very easily, just a turn of a key and she goes... The problem is on cold start ups. I turn the key and hear the fuel pump, once it is primed, I give it a full pump or two, then turn the key and it does not fire up, the starter keeps turning it, but no ignition. So I take off the carb cover and see if any fuel is being pumped into the carb, and nothing, but the fuel pump will cycle while I am trying to start the motor, but it seems that the fuel is not getting to the carb.... Today, the same thing happened as above, but after trying to start it many time, the fuel pump sounded different and then I tried it and voila, it fires up beautifully.. I really am confused, because once it runs, it runs like a brand new boat, but the cold starting is killing me.....
Can the Fuel filter (white metal filter looking thing) be clogged? Or is the fuel filter on its last legs???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Strange Starting Problems

Can the Fuel filter (white metal filter looking thing) be clogged? Or is the fuel filter on its last legs???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

DING! CHECK IT.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`m confused too, you have a electric fuel pump and a carb. No fuel injection.
You shouldnt hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to on..

4bbl

Cadet

Thanks for your reply, would the fuel work great once it starts, but not so great on start ups?
Do you just unscrew the fuel filter and replace it? Will fuel spill out of it while doing that?

4bbl

Cadet

I`m confused too, you have a electric fuel pump and a carb. No fuel injection.
You shouldnt hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to on..
Yes it is an electric fuel pump and 4bbl carb, NO fuel injection, and I DO hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn the key in the on position.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I give it full throttle before starting, that should open the choke correct??

chokes are generally electric or heat operated. they do not open with throttle.

lucky7's

Seaman

Well you should check to see. Otherwise cold start will be hard.

4bbl

Cadet

chokes are generally electric or heat operated. they do not open with throttle.

HuH?? I was told that giving full throttle activates the choke prior to starting, is that not correct?? If not, how do you open the choke without any manual switch or cable??

4bbl

Cadet

Shouldn't I see and smell fuel go into the carb when I pump the throttle?? I don't, but when I do, it starts with out a problem?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

could you be flooding her out, try just pumping it once and see what happens, you'll figure out how to handle her and once you do' she'll probably start right up for you every time, try just half, whatever until you see what she likes.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

chokes are linked to the actual throttle, kinda. this is evident when warming up and you "kick" the motor down (in cars). however, when motor is cold, choke should stay closed. if it is not, then that will cause severely hard cold starts. look at your choke. there should be a wire or two attached, or there is a tube coming off, sometimes both. when cold, choke should remain closed until the motor warms up. it will open itself up, if adjusted and/or operating properly.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

and yes, if you look down carb, have someone pump the gas a couple times, you should in fact see gas squirt. if not, then something is clogged, leaking, not right.

4bbl

Cadet

could you be flooding her out, try just pumping it once and see what happens, you'll figure out how to handle her and once you do' she'll probably start right up for you every time, try just half, whatever until you see what she likes.

Definitely not flooding her out, I don't see the fuel going into the carb, nor do I smell any gas??
Thanks though!

4bbl

Cadet

and yes, if you look down carb, have someone pump the gas a couple times, you should in fact see gas squirt. if not, then something is clogged, leaking, not right.

I don't see any fuel squirt into the carb while pumping, could the fuel filter be clogged and not letting the fuel go to the pump?