How should i cary my boat!

awnee

Cadet
I want a 8' long 4' beam boat and i dont want to license a trailer. Do you have any thing against a car top carrier, but then how whould i get the boat out of the water?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: How should i cary my boat!

I don't have a picture of the set-up and how I have modified it, but this is what I do with my little boat. I have a truck bed extender with a roller mounted to it. I don;t use it like in the pic, I take the motor off and use actual towing straps and not bunge. This pic was just during the testing of the set-up. I replaced the mini wheels with bunks also.

Now..............obviously if you don't have a truck that wont work8).

awnee

Cadet

how do you get your boat in and out of the water?

Pony

Rear Admiral

That boat is really light I usually just carry it. If its just grass or sand from my truck to the water I just grab the handles on the stearn and drag it. The only times I ever use it is when I am going some where the launch is a canoe type launch or carry in type. I have aother boat that I use for norml use. I suppose I could just back right up to the water like I was launching a boat with a trailer.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

boatwheels2_sm.jpg

http://www.fishing-catalog.com/carolina gaff/boatwheels.htm

27919M.jpg

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=27919&fcat=

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Pony said:
I don't have a picture of the set-up and how I have modified it, but this is what I do with my little boat. I have a truck bed extender with a roller mounted to it. I don;t use it like in the pic, I take the motor off and use actual towing straps and not bunge. This pic was just during the testing of the set-up. I replaced the mini wheels with bunks also.

Now..............obviously if you don't have a truck that wont work8).

Ingenious device! Forty years ago, my (deceased) father designed and built a custom device to load/unload his 14' fiberglass rowboat from a car. Several years later, the design was seen by some fishermen and promptly stolen and marketed as a lightweight aluminum attachment to your trailer hitch. It never bothered him because his only interest was in making stuff to solve his problems.

It was made such that it came out from the hitch and made a 90 up to the height of the carrier bars. The very top was outfitted with a U shaped channel that could tilt and swivel.

The boat had a small caster wheel attached to the top of the bow such that you could flip the boat and wheel it across the ground while holding the rear handles.

Wheel the boat over to your car and lift & insert the transom into the U channel. Then walk to the front of the boat and raise it up so it's level with the rear. Then, simply walk around the car until the boat was aligned with the carriers and set it down onto them. Disassemble the U channel support and you're done. If you could lift 1/2 the weight of the boat, you could launch and load it by yourself.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when i was a kid, we use to carry one that was 3/8" plywood, similar to Pony's, in the bed of the truck, launching was easy, retrieveing was a *****, it just seemed like that boat weight 200lbs more, i think after a day of fishing it just seemed a lot heavier.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen some people put push lawnmower wheels on the rear corners to allow one person to flip the boat and grab the bow to "drive" the boat near the water (kind of like a wheel barrell (barrow?) with two wheels. I've never seen it being used but seems like a good idea if the terrain isn't to rough.

DougV>