Getting really tired of this!!

lillbush

Seaman
I have a 86 bayliner capri with a chevy 305 and a volvo penta 275 outdrive. Boat was running very well today for the 1st 20-25 minutes we were just cruising around the lake going all different speeds engine was responding well. we all wanted to get off and swim so we stoped in a cove and swam for a little while. About 45 mins or so. Got back in fired it up went to put it into drive and died. Started it again put it in gear died. Did that about 4-5 times. After about the 5th time it didnt want to even start. Long story short got towed back to the dock loaded the boat up drove home about an hour drive put the muffs on it and bam fired up and went into gear no problem. I have been trying to figure out this problem now for months and its getting nothing but worse. Used to be able to drive the boat about 45 minutes then it would die. Wouldnt start but let it sit 30 mins or so then crank it back up and she would give you a good hour then die agian. I am so lost as to what it is and like I said im getting very very VERY tired of it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Getting really F_*KING tired of this!!

have you done any kind of diagnosis yourself? checked anything? could be ignition coil, could be vapor lock, ignition module, might need a tune-up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting really tired of this!!

When it happens, do you loose spark or fuel? That's what you should check first.
Sounds like a fuel problem. And it's going to take some troubleshooting.
Follow this thread from the Adults Only sticky.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

lillbush

Seaman

have you done any kind of diagnosis yourself? checked anything? could be ignition coil, could be vapor lock, ignition module, might need a tune-up.

Just did a tune up new points, cond, plugs, wires, fuel filters, oil change, lower unit oil and seals, new shift cable. I havent been able to figure this out. I used to have a aftermarket ignation box on the boat but everyone said thats what was causing this so I removed it and it is still doing it. SO I have not been able to diagnosis anything myself.

lillbush

Seaman

When it happens, do you loose spark or fuel? That's what you should check first.
Sounds like a fuel problem. And it's going to take some troubleshooting.
Follow this thread from the Adults Only sticky.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

Its not loosing either. If anything its like it is getting to much fuel. When it doesnt start it back fires out of the carb sometimes with flames.

Fun Times

Staff member

Its not loosing either. If anything its like it is getting to much fuel. When it doesnt start it back fires out of the carb sometimes with flames.
If it is back firing out the carb the first thing you need to check and recheck is the IGN timing, It sounds like it is off just enough to run just ok. Next you might have something wrong inside the carb letting to much fuel flow. Pull a few spark plugs to see if they are rich looking.When it is cold and sitting for along time will it start right up with out pumping the throttle or does it take too pumps? When it is hot and you try to start it are you pumping the throttle or just turning the key? Make sure you are running the same spark plug your manual or on top of the flame arrester sticker said to use. and then you will want to do a compression test and a leak down test using a tool like what is in this link.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94190. And where do you buy your fuel from land or water? and from a fast moving gas store or a slow moving gas store. How old is the gas and have you checked and smelled it for varnish or water by pull the filter off and dumping it in a clear jar of some kind? How hot of a day is it and does the engine have enough vents around it to let fresh air in to help try to cool under the engine hatch. get a infared heat temp gun reader and check the temp under the engine hatch after running and sitting it should not be getting more then 176 degrees under the hatch or you will get vaper lock on the fuel system Also if you did points then you do need to recheck and adjust IGN timing. When you did the points did you use a dwell meter after to check them with the engine running to the specks the manual said? Good luck I hope you find it one of these test.

lillbush

Seaman

Yes I have to pump the throttle a few times to get it going. Weather it is hot or cold. I pulled the plugs and 2 of them are very wet. Looks like a mixture of gas and oil. I went ahead and did a compression test and in 0rder 1-8 here are my numbers...170, 165, 80, 150, 150, 90, 150, 170. so it looks like I am about to do a rebuild. I just did a carb cleaning and new gaskets. When I do my tear down I will redo the carb again. I am starting to think that the ign timing is way off. when I did the points I set them to spec with a dwell meter so I know there right. Anyone else have some input before I start my tear down?

Thanks
Matt

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may sound stupid?? But check to see if the choke is sticking. I had this problem with a quad I owned...

Fun Times

Staff member

Yes I have to pump the throttle a few times to get it going. Weather it is hot or cold. I pulled the plugs and 2 of them are very wet. Looks like a mixture of gas and oil. I went ahead and did a compression test and in 0rder 1-8 here are my numbers...170, 165, 80, 150, 150, 90, 150, 170. so it looks like I am about to do a rebuild. I just did a carb cleaning and new gaskets. When I do my tear down I will redo the carb again. I am starting to think that the ign timing is way off. when I did the points I set them to spec with a dwell meter so I know there right. Anyone else have some input before I start my tear down?

Thanks
Matt
Are the too bad ones side by side or is that cyl #s 4 & 5?

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the too bad ones side by side or is that cyl #s 4 & 5?

wow, I took it to be #3 and #6 by the description, which would mean they are not side by side, would explain a lot of they were side by side.

Fun Times

Staff member

wow, I took it to be #3 and #6 by the description, which would mean they are not side by side, would explain a lot of they were side by side.
The port side of the boat is 1 3 5 7, the starboard side is 2 4 6 8 starting from the pully side back.;):)

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The port side of the boat is 1 3 5 7, the starboard side is 2 4 6 8 starting from the pully side back.;):)

yes, I read it as in order, being 1,2,3,... if that is correct #3 is low and #6 is low, which would make them on different banks?????????:confused:

captmello

Captain

Thanks
Matt

If you adjusted the dwell, you need to readjust the timing.

Did you try wet testing those two low cylinders? Maybe you just need a valve job. Can you confirm which cylinders were low?

Are you running a qjet on your engine? If your not familiar with carb rebuilds than let a pro do it. Call around for estimates. I got mine done for less than $150 including the rebuild kit and a new float.

Fun Times

Staff member

yes, I read it as in order, being 1,2,3,... if that is correct #3 is low and #6 is low, which would make them on different banks?????????:confused:
I see what you are saying now, and if that is the way he tested it then yes you are right. I am just used to doing one side at a time is all. It makes it a little more easy insted of going from right to left every time, More work:eek::D

Fun Times

Staff member

If you adjusted the dwell, you need to readjust the timing.

Did you try wet testing those two low cylinders? Maybe you just need a valve job. Can you confirm which cylinders were low?

Are you running a qjet on your engine? If your not familiar with carb rebuilds than let a pro do it. Call around for estimates. I got mine done for less than $150 including the rebuild kit and a new float.
I think you are right B/C he said it back fires out of the carb, And with these numbers it looks more like valves right now. Also timing for sure when you get it back toghter. Good luck with it.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you are right B/C he said it back fires out of the carb, And with these numbers it looks more like valves right now. Also timing for sure when you get it back toghter. Good luck with it.

If it is 3&6 it is interesting that it is the next to the last hole on each side, could be a lean mixture to those two cylinders, with the dual plane stock manifold are both fed from the same plane, one side of the carb providing less fuel for the mixture?

Something to ponder.

lillbush

Seaman

I pulled the intake off and there is oil in the coolant passages! I dont know what this means I am used to it being the other way around. I also pulled one head off and it looked good valves are the right color and all but I will continue to finish my tear down and kepp everyone updated!

lillbush

Seaman

here are some pictures. If you look at the first picture..There are 2 sets of valves like this completely black with build up...The other 6 cylinders look like the 2nd picture. Anyone know what this means?

Matt

Attachments

• Head 1.JPG
    Head 1.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Head 2.JPG
    Head 2.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 0