Guns and todays kids

eeboater

Commander
Someone on a different board posted this link - its a great read if you have the time.

(Image is clicky)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Guns and todays kids

thanks double E, cool read for sure.8)

It sure is bad when the value of human life declines with the times.:'(

rottenray6402

Ensign

Wow, that is how I grew up also. We were so rural that in my High School parking lot it was unusual to see a pickup without a gun in the rack. We never thought anything of it. As far as I know no one in my school ever killed anyone. Anymore there is no parenting and no personal responsibility so it is always the guns fault or the SUV or whatever. Very sad that things have happened this way.

aspeck

Staff member

Yep, I agree. Raised that way also.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Me too! and look we all ended up on iboats!!! I wonder where the new generation will end up??

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My dad said he used to keep his shotgun in his locker so he could go hunting after school.

Ken

eeboater

Commander

kenimpzoom said:
My dad said he used to keep his shotgun in his locker so he could go hunting after school.

Ken

Its interesting you say this -- that was the only part of that article I found... bizzare? Guns in lockers regardless of the era seemed a bit odd to me...

Good to know!

Tyme2fish

Commander

I took my .22 rifle to speech class for an assingment. Taught the class the parts and purposes of each and the proper procedures for firearms handling. Got an A.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Hey sean, I think you and I are about the same age (I am 31) even have similar jobs (I am network admin) I think it is bizarr that they had shot guns in their lockers too, but not surprised by it. That was a way of life then and for whatever reason, kids didn't have them at school to shoot their classmates and teachers! I grew up with guns, from the time I could remember, I was always shooting them at the farm. Once Granda thought I was old enough, started giving them to me. From the time I was 10 or so, I always had atleast two or three of them in my closet. I respected guns and what they could do and never once thought about taking one to school. Sometimes I think it has become a sad society the way kids are now!:'(

LubeDude

Admiral

I graduated in 1966. One summer when I was about 15 a new neighbor kid was over in the orchard behind my house on my grandfathers property shooting reclesly with a 22. I went over there, made some small talk, asked to see his gun, set it up against a tree and kicked his A*s. He went home and told his dad that I had taken his gun away from him only to be met with the fact that I had called his dad and told him that he could come get the gun after he gave his son a butt kickin for being reckless with it. So he got his butt kicked by me and his dad. We went on to become good friends.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

In college during the early '60's in mid Michigan, we had several rifles and pistols in our dorm along with gunpowder and reloading equipment. Mgmnt didn't make much of it.
After the race riots of the late '60's I guess that things changed, guns were banned from dorms. I was long gone by then!
Looking at the national news today, I see that a 17yr old was arrested for shooting at vehicles and killing one person along I65 in Indiana.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I recall from my youth if I would have been careless with any gun my Dad would have kicked my bu** and taken away my gun privliges for a long time. As it was after my chores were done I could take out the old .22 and plink or what ever. There were a bunch of skunks and prarie dogs sent to the happy hunting ground with that old Stevens. In the winter the jack rabbits turn white and we used to get any where from $.50 to $1.00 each rabbit depending on the market. Bought a lot of .22 long rifle ammo with the rabbits we sold. Those were the good old days!

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I brought a .22 revolver to school in the late 60s and used it to fire blanks inside the gym while in a school play. I was playing the role of a police officer who was shooting Bonnie and Clyde when they were killed.

Of course I did check the gun in with the office so they knew it was on the school grounds. I remember that the sound of the gun was really loud in the gym as I fired all six shots as fast as I could. It was so loud that the crowd was shocked to a moment or two of quietness after the shots were fired. There was lots of smoke too and when the smoke cleared they all rose to their feet and gave us a standing ovation.

Needless to say, it was the main subject around school for the rest of the year.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I'm a youngster myself at 32. I've always had guns around. We depeneded on them for food for a couple of years during the early 80's when the drilling rigs shut down. My dad was a roughneck and he was out of stable work for a while. Many nights I provided dinner of rabbit with my Nylon 66.