14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Thanx tc! I was well pleased with the speed! :D My capacity plate says max of 30 HP so a 50 would put me in the illegal category!:eek:;)

Btw guyz, when I was out running it the fuel primer bulb kept sucking flat and the engine would start sputtering. You'd have to reach back there and squeeze it to give it more fuel and it would be fine for awhile again. I replaced the fuel line/primer bulb thinking it might be a problem with that. However, it didn't totally fix the problem. It helped a little, but i think it was just because the new rubber was alot stiffer than the other one I had. (my "old" one was only couple month old). Is it a problem with my tank??

tallcanadian

Captain

Is there an air vent not open? Not sure what kind of tank you got. Original, plastic, metal?

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a portable 6 gallon plastic tank. I dont know if it has a vent?? Do those tanks have a vent that can be opened and closed?

tallcanadian

Captain

It's a portable 6 gallon plastic tank. I dont know if it has a vent?? Do those tanks have a vent that can be opened and closed?

I have one of those. It does have a vent. When I move the take around I can hear the air suck threw the cap.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok...well I'll have to look again. I didn't remember seeing a vent but maybe I missed it. I didn't jst get the tank. It's what came with my boat. But it looks about the same as new ones I think.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guyz....vid coming soon. I'm working at loading it up! Check back!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright....here it is! This is a compiled video. Contain 3 seperate footages. If you take notice on the vid, the water was pretty rough. (on a small lake on Labor Day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk89cCSxPOw

(plz excuse my unhappy nephew on the first vid :D)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

And here's my favorite NXT GENERATION boater!!!! ;):D

IMG_4012.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Awesome video. You must feel so good having done a great job like that and seeing the end results. Nice work. Great looking kid too. I smile like that too when I'm sitting in my boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Whatever is kicking up those mean rooster tails might be slowing you down some......

tallcanadian

Captain

Whatever is kicking up those mean rooster tails might be slowing you down some......

If you scroll up and see the pic of the back of his boat and motor, it looks like the motor is way below the bottom of the boat. That will definetaly slow you done. Measure your transom length. It looks like you may have to remove that 5" extension on your johnny.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I wondered too what was making it kick up the water...not that it bothered me but most boats dont do that. The only thing mounted on the transom besides the outboard is the little transducer for my fish finder.

My transom measures 20". Dont I need a long shaft motor? Taking my 5" extension piece out would almost make it too short then...not??

tallcanadian

Captain

How long is the shaft on your motor? I looks like a 25". But then again, I'm only going by the photo.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok looked at outboard....my cavitation plate is bout 3 1/2 in. below the keel. If I removed the spacer the cavitation would actually be above the keel.

Now, I have a proposition....my theory is this: the cavitation plate is whats spraying the water. When my boat is planing, its riding out of the water far enough that the plate is near the surface. I have my motor trimmed up a bit, and the water is hitting the cavitation plate and since its angled up slightly, is spraying the water. The spray got worse the farther up i trimmed it.

Make sense??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes it makes sense. Your motor is definitely too low. I think the cav plat is ok even an inch or so above the keel (depending on the boat that may even be optimal). I'd try removing the spacer.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it makes sense. Your motor is definitely too low. I think the cav plat is ok even an inch or so above the keel (depending on the boat that may even be optimal). I'd try removing the spacer.

Dont I risk running my outboard out too far that it dont get water right?? I dont want my water intake to be grabbing air.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes that is a concern. I was thinking perhaps you'd still be ok without the spacer but you'll have to try it to see. Take some photos.

tallcanadian

Captain

It's a real long looking motor. Not sure on the specs.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had asked my local marine guy that worked on the outboard. He had the boat and motor so he knows wat it looks like. He said he would not remove the spacer. Said could maybe try sliding the outboard up a little.

tallcanadian

Captain

I wouldn't go through all that trouble. Your boat runs good, just a little rooster tail, no big deal. If you were having trouble planing or getting up to speed, then it may be an issue. Not to worry.