14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Great job singin, the boat really looks good.

I must have missed it somewhere else in the thread, but what paint did you use on the bottom? I believe you said you used Brightside on the top, but did you use that on the bottom too? Thanks,

-Tommy

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I used the same paint all the way around. My boat isn't going to be used heavy or stored in the water so I figured it would be fine. I did have a little bit of it get messed up tho when I drug my boat up on it the first time. Also right where the bow-eye pulls tight on the boat. Dont know if that should be attributed to the paint or the fact that it was painted less than 2 weeks before I loaded it up. I'm thinking the latter....

thebigo06

Cadet

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I had stumbled across your thread when I was researching after I found out I was getting a boat for free. I realize that we have different style hulls but they are the same size and I wanted to see what could be done with a smaller boat. I must say that I am very impressed and I hope that mine turns out half as good!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow I've been out of here a long time! :) Thanx guys for the compliments! I might add some new pix this spring once it warms up and I dig it out and fire it up! CANT WAIT TILL SUMMER!!!!!!

sanford

Recruit

Hi i,m new to this site, great rebuild I didn't go through all the post I have the identical boat its a chrysler sport valiant made from late 1960s to 1970s mine has the serial number and capacities rated for 50 hp and 1380 lbs hope this helps regards. Sanford

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi i,m new to this site, great rebuild I didn't go through all the post I have the identical boat its a chrysler sport valiant made from late 1960s to 1970s mine has the serial number and capacities rated for 50 hp and 1380 lbs hope this helps regards. Sanford

Hey got any pix of yours??

sanford

Recruit

Yeah I have a couple but can't figure out how to post them send a pm and i'll send you the pics regards Sanford

dirkp

Cadet

Hi Singinout,

Great job on your rebuild. I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I have a very similar boat that I just tore apart. I am planning a layout very similar to yours, but cannot determine what dimensions I should plan out to. Your layout looks great and I was just wondering what are the lengths of your front deck and your rear deck? Also, How high are your seat boxes?

I was planning 2' long rear deck and a 3' long front deck, but never have been on a bass boat, so I am not sure if that much room would be sufficient?

Thanks,

Dirkp

macca123

Seaman

Fantastic job on the boat, I would just like to mention that I had the same problem with the rooster tale, I made my cavitation plate sit level with the bottom of the boat now runs nice and clean and I get an extra 4mph out of it, BTW most people who fit engines for a living recommend having your cavitation plate 1 inch below bottom of boat.

regards

macca123

Noel Kinahan

Recruit

hi,I got a boat the very same make,Its called Piranha de luxe So the stickers say,do you want a picture of it?

Noel Kinahan

Recruit

Hi guys,
Here is a picture of the Piranah DeLuxe 14 ft

attachment.php

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey man! Thanks for posting all of this. I'm just now rolling up my sleves and starting to get into my boat. I bought an 85 VIP Tri Hull much like yours. It's a 14' 4" bass boat. I know the deck is rotten. I had some trouble the last time I put it in the water getting the engine started. When I leaned back to have a look the seat base ripped out of the deck. I'm the only guy I know who fell over backward in a mounted boat seat! :) I don't know if I want to get into the deck and the stringers yet or if I want to do some cosmetic work now and hold off on the rest. I'm kicking some ideas around now.

At any rate, I was a little disapointed with the shape of the "lake ready" boat. My brain immediately focused on rebuilding this thing. I've been into woodworking, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical for a while. I've just never applied all those skills to a boat.

Threads like yours are very encouraging to a guy like me. It gives me hope that I can get this thing into some pretty darn respectable shape. Thanks a ton for sharing your restoration and all the pics and details! It sure does help me gear up for my own!

phillnjack2

Ensign

Just been reading this topic
you done a great job in rebuilding your boat.
youve made an old crusty bathtub, into a great fishing /sports boat.
everything has turned out real good.
that is now a real nice boat to be proud of.

As for the boat itself and what it is.
Its a boat called a piranha 13 sports.
Dont remember who the company was who actualy made them, but here in the uk they
were pretty popular in the late 1970s and early 1980's.Also in europe as well.
There is still plenty of them around, and they take 50hp no problems.

There was also a version that had all the stainless rails etc called the custom or delux.
Piranha,s were about 3/4 the price of dell quay dory's, (very similar to boston whalers).
But the piranha's were liked because they came with so many extras in even the sport version.
Dell quay dory's came up with the tropicana version of their boats due to losing out on sales to piranha's, but the piranha was so much cheaper, more of a bargain than a dell quay.
The majority of the boats were cream gelcoat and brown carpet from new.
But i know you could also get red trim and green trim.
hope this helps a bit.

phill:)

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

signinout..question for ya ...i bought 1966 starcraft..14 ft tri hull.. title says no model..i have two holes in the bilge area looks like drains fro something they dont exit the boat..ill post some pics ..they hve misture and wet grimy stuff in them..is my hull leaking or what..my first boat so dont really know much bout it..i put drain plugs in them took it out on water bout 5 hours..seemed good like nothing leaking..just seems like there shouldnt be moisture in them holes..IMAG0276.jpgIMAG0277.jpg

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

theres one hole on the right and one on the left..seems like they run up towards front of the boat ..i dont know..just want make sure im safe..i dont believe its for if water gets in the deck seems like its below deck floor..like under the fibrglass flooring...any help would be greatful...