14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Don't sweat the motor problems. You'll get 'em figured out... Be proud of how great the restore looks! You did an awesome job...

-TLove

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guyz, I'm finally back with some pix!! :)

Working on the motor at the cabin...
IMG_3875.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

"2nd" launch....the one where we left it in the water. ;)

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aerial view from upper deck....
IMG_3811.jpg

Another shot on the water...
IMG_3868.jpg

drewpster

Commander

Love it when a plan comes together! looks great, did you have engine problems?

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here some pix I shot @ home. Course it was starting to get dark....:rolleyes:

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

and covered...
IMG_3931.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love it when a plan comes together! looks great, did you have engine problems?

Yeah if you go back on the previous page, I wrote a big epistle on my outing.:D We got it to run half decent but it don't have any top end at all. Could only crank 5 mph out of it! :confused: So...its headed to the local marine center here one of these days. Otherwise, it was great!

drewpster

Commander

Just went back and read it, sorry to hear that, been there, very frustrating. Sounds like a fuel system problem to me. Let us know how it turns out.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I'll def post an let y'all know how its coming! I'll also post final pix whenever I actually get it "done"....meaning "get the decals for the sides". :D

tallcanadian

Captain

Great looking boat there sing. Awesome job. Once you get that motor issue solved I'm sure you will feel better about it all. Nice boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great. I'm sure it's nothing major with the motor.

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like a new one. good luck with the motor... im kindof having the same issue. new fuel system from the lines to the carbs. also new plugs. still cant figure it out.

anyway, good luck and the boat looks OUTSTANDING!!!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx guys!! Yeah I'm sure I'll have it up and running before to long! :)

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, that thing does look absolutely brand spanking new! :eek: What a looker! Also, I guess until the last picture montage you posted I never really had a feel for just how SMALL that boat is...how is it working out for you out there with two grown men and a boy? It is now painfully obvious why you set it up the way you did. those decks are probably priceless real estate on the boat and shotgun doesnt look so bad either!

tallcanadian

Captain

I love the woodgrain on the console. I want some. Very nice.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, that thing does look absolutely brand spanking new! :eek: What a looker! Also, I guess until the last picture montage you posted I never really had a feel for just how SMALL that boat is...how is it working out for you out there with two grown men and a boy? It is now painfully obvious why you set it up the way you did. those decks are probably priceless real estate on the boat and shotgun doesnt look so bad either!

Ha no kiddin! I always knew it was small, but I don't think I really realized how small it was till we stuck it in the water. :) It don't work bad with the 3...much more than that would be about too full. If you space them one in front, center and back, its not too bad.

Yeah those decks def get put to use. I think I have about all of them full! :D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outboard is scheduled to be serviced tomorrow...so ges we'll see what comes out of it! :)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW!!! Im back again, believe it or not! lol! Had to go back to the 10th page to find my thread! not gud!! :rolleyes:

Ok so since my last post....I got my outboard back from the shop. The guy told me the fuel pump was BAD. Like actually partially disinegrating. So he changed that. And since it was going to pieces, it had thrown junk in the carb again so he cleaned that again. Also had fouled the spark plugs so he changed them again too! He also said someone had something wired up wrong on the solenoid and fried it. He said I can get by without changing the solenoid if I prime it manually. It would have cost $175 so I decided to take a pass on that for now. Anyways, I got it back and fired it up in a tub. Ran like a charm! MUCH smoother and sounds great!

So yesterday took it out again! Got a small lake bout 1 3/4 hr from my place. Right before we left, I had been running it and it kept wanting to suck the bulb flat and run out of fuel. Talked to a guy at Bass Pro and he sed i needed a new fuel line/primer bulb. On the way to the lake I stopped and got that. We replaced that before putting it in the water. I still wasn't sure if it was gonna work.

Anyway, put it in the water and fired it up. It fires right away, dont crank at all! Gotta love it! So we took it out. The thing was better, but still was by know means running at maximum power. My bro-in-law was along, and he popped the cover off and was messing around with it while we were running it. Now I am not very knowledgeable in the line of knowing the insides of outboards, so bear with my crude terms and descriptions!

There is a little lever thing on the front of the motor that adjusts the power. He pushed that thing down further and it took off! Im like, "hey what did you do!?" There is a adjustment screw on the side thats connected to that front lever. So we moved that and it worked awesome! To say i was impressed would be an understatement!!! It planed out nice and felt like it was flying compared to our previous speed. I think before we adjusted it, we were prolly doing about 10 mph.

With the new adjustment it did 21-22 mph with 3 adults (approx 350 lb.). I ran it myself and got 24.6 mph. The water was pretty rough from lots of boats (and minimal lake area). Im thinking if I took it out on smooth water myself I could get at least 25, maybe 26. I tried 4 ppl and it wont get up on a plane and plowed along @ 10 mph. So I think for best performance, 3 ppl is max.

So that's where Im at now. Im really tickled with the whole thing! I took some vids of it running. I'll try to post them here sometime soon, as I know you guyz are jst dying for vids!! lol

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey, welcome back. Good to hear you had some good luck in getting her to run good. And 25 mph with a 28hp is very impressive. You must be tickled pink. Now, drop a 50 on that pupppy and you will get there in a hurry. Thanks for sharing.