homelite 55 fisher pierce

dannyboy409

Recruit
Have an old outboard..homelite 55 its about a 1964 or 65...overheats constantly..no water pumping out...does anybody have any ideas on cause?? THANKS

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: homelite 55 fisher pierce

What have you done to it to try to fix the problem? There aren't too many of those around, so you may not find someone here with direct experience on that outboard.

Still, we may be able to help to some degree. So, you've identified a problem with the cooling. Now, we need to know what steps you've already taken to diagnose or repair your outboard.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I've had a bit of experience--a long time ago. The most obvious thing to check is the water pump. Have you? The exhaust manifold might be plugged up with corrosion. But don't worry about stuff like that till you first check the pump.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Google "Bearcat", Danny. There are a couple of sites that specialize in that family of engines. You almost certainly need a water pump overhaul.

That engine was based on the Crosley auto/industrial 750cc OHC engine and was first produced as a (Dang, can't remember), then sold to Homelite, who developed it further and sold it to Fisher Pierce who refined it for use on their 16' Boston Whalers.

Flywheel rated at 55HP, it was 40 years ahead of the industry. Smooth, quiet, economical 4 stroke only weighed about 175lb. Didn't make enough power for enough folks so it finally died. :(

If "Bearcat" doesn't get you the site, try "Homelite Outboard".

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Dang was a Fageol. We called them a Fragile.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, F_R. My brain was hurting trying to remember old Lou Fageol.

Try: http://www.4cyclemarine.com/ or http://www.bearcat55.com.

I have four of these engines, just finished up a short shaft yesterday. I should have bought one of these years ago as I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's stingy on fuel and all the power I need. I've trolled it for 8 hrs and used less than two gallons of fuel. Quiet, no smoke, reliable, affordable and parts are still available.

Re: homelite 55 telltale

I have used my '65 Homelite the latter part of last summer and noticed a difference between the the telltale from my '70 Bearcat 55 which has a redesigned cooling system. The Homelite didn't pee water from the telltale at idle or trolling, it just steamed, anything above idle it worked fine. The manuel states "Water should flow from the telltale at all speeds above slow idle". Must be normal as I've trolled at idle for over 25hrs with no problem.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What allways amazes me is the Homelite/bearcat is based on a Crosley car motor initially designed in the late 30s or early 40s.Originally designed with a stamped steel brazed block but went to cast iron because they would rust out.
A very advanced motor at the time with an overhead cam and capable of over 5,000 rpm.at a time when the typical motor turned about 3,600 to 4,000.

geol

Cadet

I have one of these. I have been trying to get operational. The latest problem is that the water circulation stopped. Although the Impeller may have died it could be a plugged exhaust. I plan to try to clear the ehaust at the outlet before disassembling the water pump. Of course I plan on replacing the impeller before I try to actually use the beast. the engine is 40 years old and rubber impellers die of old age even when not in use. That said Scale from the engine will tend to plug the exhaust outlet simply as a result of the design. I have found 4 sources of parts including those previously mentioned. + adventure Marine, discount marine parts. And tillotson carbs are still in business.

What is the reason you think circulation has stopped, telltale stopped peeing water? My '61 did this when I first fired it off. I had it hooked up to a flush attachment so I knew water was circulating as it was coming out the exhaust but nothing was coming out the telltale. I took the tell tale hose off and kept poking a rod into the block to clear the built up scale till it started peeing. Works fine now. However in the future I may pull the water jacket covers and clean out the block.

geol

Cadet

good idea. Mine Started to steam and overheat. I hooked up pressure water at the block and flushed it. Till the water started running from the exhaust outlet. I will. Try getting it to cool normally before pulling it apart to repace the impeller. I also have 0 compression on # 4 cyl. but the engine runs smoothly with no miss. ?? Rings may be seized. Right nowit is soaking. My Email is EDIT be happy to BS and share experience with the beast. I plan to put it on a ~1960 Chetek 18' lapstrake. [Similar to a Thompson]
The boat was stored under cover for 40 years and is almost as new.

Last edited by a moderator:

good idea. Mine Started to steam and overheat. I hooked up pressure water at the block and flushed it. Till the water started running from the exhaust outlet. I will. Try getting it to cool normally before pulling it apart to repace the impeller. I also have 0 compression on # 4 cyl. but the engine runs smoothly with no miss. ?? Rings may be seized. Right nowit is soaking. My Email is EDIT be happy to BS and share experience with the beast. I plan to put it on a ~1960 Chetek 18' lapstrake. [Similar to a Thompson]
The boat was stored under cover for 40 years and is almost as new.

What year engine do you have? See: http://www.bearcat55.com/Serial_number_guide.html Your email address has been edited, PM me with your address.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Zero compression??? Friend, that isn't stuck rings, that is a stuck or burnt valve. You may be interested to know that the engine has to be totally disassembled to get the valves out. I mean totally. It is an overhead cam engine with no cylinder head.

EDIT: Well, I suppose it could be a busted piston or connecting rod. Small consolation.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

0 compression could be a stuck valve or not enough valve clearance.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhhhh yes the old Homies. I had several of them one time, in the form of a huge pile of parts.:D:D I didn't do anything to get it(them) running, but I was marveled on how these engines were put together. An engine block, without a detachable head and valves?? That is a total trip. It's likely you do have a stuck valve. Most likely will have to spray into the intake or exhaust port (whichever valve is stuck) with WD-40 and get them all freed up again. I'm not willing to bet the valves are burnt as of yet. It would be interesting to see what is involved with doing a valve job on those. Here is a pretty cool site on the history of the Crosleys and what has happened over the years with that engine.

http://www.martyonline.com/yellow_jacket_wood_boat_company_history/inboards/

Probably one of the first 4 stroke engines to ever hit the water, in the form of an outboard.:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhhh yes the old Homies. I had several of them one time, in the form of a huge pile of parts.:D:D I didn't do anything to get it(them) running, but I was marveled on how these engines were put together. An engine block, without a detachable head and valves?? That is a total trip. It's likely you do have a stuck valve. Most likely will have to spray into the intake or exhaust port (whichever valve is stuck) with WD-40 and get them all freed up again. I'm not willing to bet the valves are burnt as of yet. It would be interesting to see what is involved with doing a valve job on those. Here is a pretty cool site on the history of the Crosleys and what has happened over the years with that engine.

http://www.martyonline.com/yellow_jacket_wood_boat_company_history/inboards/

Probably one of the first 4 stroke engines to ever hit the water, in the form of an outboard.:D

As I said, the engine has to be totally disasembled to get the valves out. The real picnic is getting the clearance correct when you put it together. The clearance is set by changing shims inside the cam followers. Put it all together, measure the clearance, take it apart again (remove camshaft), change the shims, put it back together, measure again and find out it still isn't right, take the camshaft off again, etc, etc.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Holy crap.:eek: This looks like a job I could only do with the assistance of Adolph Coors.:D:D What's odd is, they had an overhead cam set up, a lot like my Geo Metro has. Fortunately, my Geo Metro has a removable head and hydraulic lifters, so there isn't any head ache there.

One thing I thought was a real trip, is how they modified the engine to sit up in the upright position for an outboard application, such as the carb set up and oil pan/pump. When you take the hood off, you'll see the valve cover looking at you and the carbs are on the left side of it. The oil pan is on the back side going the full length of the powerhead.:D:D

As I said, the engine has to be totally disasembled to get the valves out. The real picnic is getting the clearance correct when you put it together. The clearance is set by changing shims inside the cam followers. Put it all together, measure the clearance, take it apart again (remove camshaft), change the shims, put it back together, measure again and find out it still isn't right, take the camshaft off again, etc, etc.

Been there, done that, wish it was shim and bucket instead of bucket and shim! Lot's of shimming in that engine, you must get the backlash set correctly for the bevel gear cam drive too or risk wiping out the gears. I recently replaced the block on one of mine as it was cracked.