Does this qualify as "Backyard Hack"?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
I know this is shade tree engineering at it's worst, but you can always drop the pan, remove the rod and piston for the dead cylinder, slit a piece of hose and clampt it around the main bearing journal with hose clamps to keep the oil pressure in... take the push rods and rocker arms for that cylinder off and you're good to go minus one cylinder

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Does this qualify as "Backyard Hack"?

What you talking about Willis??????????

edjunior

Seaman

Uh, you go for it, and please let us know how it turned out. Enquiring minds want to know!

Maclin

Admiral

That level of hack is what you do out in the middle of the ocean to get back. It is not something you go out into the water with knowing it is hacked like that.

Not sure how serious this is, so if it is a spoof then ok haha :rolleyes:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

and then if the carb is lifted off by a rogue seagull.... just drink 10 gallons of gas and pee into the intake.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Rogue seagulls.... hehehe. Want something fun to do with seagulls?? Get some wasabi and roll up a big ball of it into bread and feed it to them. They go crazy and will dive bomb the water at 100 miles an hour :)

tiki

Cadet

No it does not qualify as a "Backyard Hack"...To be a hack job at least one of the following must be used...
Duck Tape
Ty Raps
Bailing War

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read that post and didn't even think of responding because there was no way he could have been serious.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I wasn't really serious... especially on that kind of engine... but beliueve it or not, it works... and yea, i would never really do it as a viable alternative, but had an old mechanic (when i was young) tell me they used to do it all the time. Think in the day when crankshafts weren't counterbalanced...

We tried it on an old truck with a straight 6 in it. and it ran surprisingly well. take the pushrods out so the valves don't open on that cylinder as well...

Amazing the things we try when bored as kids sometimes... and even more amazing how well some of the things that wind up working far better than they should.

I do apologize if i created any confusion for anyone.

I do not recommend doing this as a viable solution to a real problem. If you're bored and have a dead cylinder in an old engine, by all means, give iut a try and see what happens...

and if we're having a "fun with seaguls" thread, how about the econo-sized bottle of alkaseltzer (no I wouldn't really do this either... to cruel)...

ps. it DOES count as a backyard hack... because you use the incredibly valuable radiator hose clamp to wrap the spare piece of hose to keep the oil pressure from being lost through the exposed rod bearing journal. No back yard engineer would be caught without hose clamps to go along with the duct tape, wire, rubber freeze plugs, electrical tape, jumper wires, etc, etc, etc...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but you can always drop the pan, remove the rod and piston for the dead cylinder

Had to be spoken originally by someone that knows nothing about engines.

You just can't pull the piston out of the block from the oil pan side, on any marine IO engine that I am aware of.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Whoever told you it could be done hasn't done his homework on Steinbeck and "Grapes of Wrath". It's supposed to be a piece of a leather belt to replace the main bearing - that's the only way you'll ever make it all the way to California!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

in a model T, eh? I've rebuilt a couple of model A engines, and although one of them was loose enough (and still running) when I pulled it apart that the main bearings were way through the babbit and almost through the copper backing, I'd be surprised if a piece of leather would suffice. and come to think of it I know very well that the pistons out the top and have taken many out that way...

MikDee

Banned

Yeah, and those ring things, they get in the way,,, I just break them off, and throw them away, I never use em! :D My favorite though is chasing roller bearings across the floor on a 2 cycle :eek: There's always one missing when you get done, I hate when that happens :rolleyes: :D

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That level of hack is what you do out in the middle of the ocean to get back. It is not something you go out into the water with knowing it is hacked like that.

Not sure how serious this is, so if it is a spoof then ok haha :rolleyes:

Lol, I just read the posted link that this reply came from... there's a guy who said that he didn't notice a differience when he did this mod to his car... and then he traded in on a newer car. Lol.

edjunior

Seaman

One of the best cars I've ever owned was a 88 Olds Cutlass Ciera with a 3.8L V-6. I bought it brand new in 1988 when my two sons at the time were 5 and 4 years old. When I got it home, I told them they would both learn to drive that car. Well, they both did. And the younger one ended up driving the car for almost a year and a half. While he was driving it, at about 105,000 miles, the timing chain went. Well, we had it fixed, but the shop told us it took a cylinder with it (or whatever goes in the cylinder). Basically it was running on only 5 cylinders. It had a slight rattle to it when idling, and idled a little rough, but when under way, you could hardly tell a difference from before...very smooth and still plenty of power. He drove the car for another 15,000 miles like that until someone smacked him and the car was totalled. I know the piston and all the parts were still in there...oh, and we got $1800 from the insurance for it. That surprised me as much as the thing running for so long on 5 cylinders.