HONDA BF100 Timing belt replacement

ktiwefly

Recruit
I'm wondering if anybody can help me out on this. I have a BF100 that I need to replace the timing belt on which requires special tools to get the magnito off. I called a local boat store and said that Honda doesn't sell the part anymore. The manaul isn't very helpful in the description of removing it either. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated!

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: HONDA BF100 Timing belt replacement

Why do you need to replaced the belt???

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I ca'nt think of any SPECIAL,tool required to do the job. You will need a puller with the proper bolts to remove the flywheel,but that is nothing new or special.A three way puller ,pretty small, and ,I beleive,6x1.25 puller bolts.I might be wrong about that part.If you have not used this kind of puller before,get the help of someone that has as you can waste the crank by not pulling straight.Why DO you need to replace the belt?

stoeptegel

Cadet

Hi,<br /><br />Don't know about ktiwefly, but for me the reasons are:<br /><br />-The belt has no tensioner and it's a little loose for my liking<br />-The belt is OLD. Don't want to know what happens if it snaps<br /><br />And yes, it still looks okay so maybe I'm being paranoia.<br /><br />If it is ok to be a little loose then maybe I should leave it. Any ideas on this? Anyone?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br /><br />Dave

ktiwefly

Recruit

Good morning, hey thanks for the replies. The belt snapped that's the reason for that. I have been trying a conventional 3 way puller but it doesn't want to budge(the nut is off). I'm using the 6x1.25s to pull on it but it seems to be stuck. So that's why I referred to the shop manual for the tools required, it says I need to take it off with a band strap wrench and assemble with puller which seems a little strange. Logic here tells me it should come off with the puller and back with a the band wrench or just a ratchet. Thanks for your input.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Shop manuals can sugarcoat some proceedures.Fact of the matter is ,Ive never been able to pop a flywheel ,with a puller, off by manual methods.I've always had an impact wrench at my disposal,or used methods I can't reccomend if I could'nt find a puller to fit.Sounds like you have the right equipment,just need some more cajones.

ktiwefly

Recruit

yep it was the cajunes... I used my air ratchet on it and some more lube and it came off. Thanks for all your help!!!