foam and what its for

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: foam and what its for

1957evinrude: - Yes, your idea will work. It will work better if you do not taper the back ends down like that. You see, as soon as that thin tapered back edge goes underwater you will not be adding any more buoyancy the deeper they go. If you make the top surface pretty parallel to the bottom (full thickness all the way back) then the deeper they are submerged, the more water is displaced = adding buoyancy, which keeps the stern from dropping. Also, these do not need to be full of foam. If you make them out of fairly thin plywood (empty & watertight) they will work better than if you do the same thing and fill them with foam (because they weigh less empty).

good deal. im not saying your wrong in any means lol ok but i think i will put foam in them just incase i dont make it water tight and also if i back into something and crack it they well still work. i was reading another post about theis pods and they were saying not to taper the side where the motor can turn from side to side something about cavitation. what is cavitation and how does it affect the prop

Ned L

Commander

Cavitation is generally thought of as a condition where the propeller ?sucks? in a pocket of air, causing the engine to suddenly gain RPM, and the boat to loose speed because the prop is spinning in this trapped pocket of air. So what you would be concerned about is not to create a condition that makes it easier for the prop to pull in a pocket of air.
More specifically, true cavitation is a condition whereby due to the specifics of the propeller design and the waterflow interaction caused by the nearby hull shape, the water pressure around the propeller drops below the vapor pressure of water and you actually get ?boiling? of the water at the surface of the propeller. This action can actually be physically damaging to a propeller over time. --- It is also not what you need to be worrying about, ? but you asked. :D
Nothing wrong with filling your pods with foam. Good luck & enjoy. - One thought. When you build them & attach them to your transom you should work for the tightest and smoothest transition between the bottom of the boat and the bottom of the pods that you can get, otherwise you may end up with geysers and water fountains coming up between the two.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lmao i really wasnt hi jacking the fourm this is how this disscution started with me and bucs. as for the transition what i will do is lay a 2x4 across the bottom of the boat and the build it on top of that and then remove the 2x4 so that the line is straight.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you hollowed out a pocket in each pod you would have a couple sweet beer coolers!

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lmao i really did think about that but i would be defeating my perpose of lifting the back i would add more weight but i guess once i get half way down the cooler i wouldnt care anymore. it would make me wanna drink faster to get the weight off lol.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

haha, right on. you'd have to drink "lite" beer on the boat!

Ned L

Commander

Hijacking?? How is answering a qustion asked by the one that started the thread hijacking?? :confused:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

no, you didn't hi jack it ned, it just transitioned to a different topic half way thru, somehow.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would have never thought it possible to laugh so much about foam. Yall want to start a thread about the best oil?:

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

1957evinrude that Ned guy knows his stuff. I still say that you use 83mulligans idea of making beer holders. It would be like two huge coozys on the back lol. I think i lost the bet so i will have your $10 to you shortly. Maybe we can use that to buy the beer to test 83mulligans idea lol. i am bringing the boat down to dads house next week and maybe you can bring yours over and we will work on both.

I got to say that some of the people here on iboats are brilliant and the information is priceless.

It really has helped people like me who dont know a whole lot about boats really start to understand. Its like phonics people who cant read. Great stuff!!!

Ned L

Commander

Bowman - As they say, I guess sometime one thing leads to another. Oh well. :)

Bucsfinsfan - Thanks :D Ill just say I kind of grew up with my feet in the water.

pinkham89

Seaman Apprentice

1957evinrude that Ned guy knows his stuff. I still say that you use 83mulligans idea of making beer holders. It would be like two huge coozys on the back lol. I think i lost the bet so i will have your $10 to you shortly. Maybe we can use that to buy the beer to test 83mulligans idea lol. i am bringing the boat down to dads house next week and maybe you can bring yours over and we will work on both.

not only that but keeping the beer at water level would keep it cooler :p:p:D:p:p

pinkham89

Seaman Apprentice

Around here, 80 degrees is "cool" in the summertime. LOL

how bout you bottle some of that up and send it up to maine for me. Summertime here the waters still cold enough you dont wanna get caught in one of those "i was in the pool/ shrinkage" moments :p

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

we have 80 - 85 degree water in the chesapeake bay here for 2 months or so. But on the ocean it may push 75, in late aug./ sept.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

how bout you bottle some of that up and send it up to maine for me. Summertime here the waters still cold enough you dont wanna get caught in one of those "i was in the pool/ shrinkage" moments :p

Having lived up north for most of my life, I can totally relate to that! LOL!

Sometimes, it does strike me odd to see water temps of 96 - 97 degrees around here. And with air and humidity at the same levels! :D