#2 Carb Leaking Gas - 1992 Force 90 HP

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure this is an easy one for you guys, but I'm trying to learn!<br /><br />Yesterday when I went to prime up the primer bulb, I noticed gas running out of the #2 Carb bowl. Motor seems to run fine, but obviously, gas running out of the carb isn't a good thing.<br /><br />Please keep in mind, I have a little mechanical experience, but do have the shop manuals, which I've been able to follow on other repairs so far.<br /><br />There must be something stuck open which would allow gas to continually run through the carb until it overflows and runs out the bowl?<br /><br />Thanks!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: #2 Carb Leaking Gas - 1992 Force 90 HP

The carb float valve is sticking open. It acts like the old style toilet bowl float valve. They get gummed up with varnish or crud and won't close properly when the carb bowl is filled with gas. The gas dumps into the carb throat or an overflow. If it goes into the engine it will cause that carb mixture to be rich at slower speeds. The fix is to remove the carb and thoroghly clean and rebuild the carb, not difficult if you have a manual. Sometimes if its just a random piece of floating crud you can tap on the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver and the valve will seal but most often it requires a thorough degumming.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: #2 Carb Leaking Gas - 1992 Force 90 HP

Thanks jimd. Looks like I'm going to get experience with carbs tonight! I'm assuming that since one is sticking, I should clean the other 2 while I'm at it?