1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: GW, 24' Project (WORK PICTURE UPDATED)

man....that was a big nasty in the hull........just goes to show you ....anything can be fixed

zach103

Commander

you should put twins on that baby

LX Kid

Ensign

Twins sound pretty expensive for an old boat. When and if the 305 fails, I'm going for a 350. Chevy's are so easy to work on and cheaper to repair.

Last edited:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Not only is the pace of the work moving along amazingly fast, it is looking really good.

Nice work.

LX Kid

Ensign

That's quite a Chris Craft you got "fixb52s." Did'nt get to take pictures today but got all the trim work done in the helm area an refinished (minus bi-fold door). Also sanded down and refinished teak rod holder racks on right and left sides. Late afternoon it started raining so I called it a day. Fuel pump also arrived. Tomorrow I'm going to pull fuel pump, water pump and thermostat for replacement and install new trim pump. (At least that's the plan!) Ron

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (WORK PICTURE UPDATED)

Hey Ron, I got caught by that rain too.

I spent time on it yesterday replacing the prop that "found" a cinder block on the Alafia this past Sunday. I want to take it out to Picnic Island tomorrow with a friend coming from out of town, but I don't know with the weather.

Shoot me a PM. I would like to see your project.

Mike, also USAF Retired (Sept 07)​

LX Kid

Ensign

Here's yesterday's work. Before and after. Used unfinished 3/8X1-3/4 beveled oak. Sill gotta do the bi-fold door. I really hate to think about all the work that's gong to take.

Last edited:

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice

I love your GW. I have a 1967. One of the first fiberglass gradys. It was a small cabin cruiser with a lap strake glass hull. I am using the hull in a barrelback project. I have some parts for the Gw. I have a windshield that looks very much like yours, etc. You can have this stuff if you want, its in my way and I would like to think that though the boat is gone its' memory will live on. One hell of a boat. john bell. Paris Texas

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your boat is awesome. I wish I had the time and skill to work on something like that. Keep up the good work!

LX Kid

Ensign

I have lot's of time but the skill is questionable. I used to refurbish repo double wide trailers, for a bank, when I lived in Tennessee. My mechanical skills came from owning a garage and machine shop when I lived in South Carolina. I've not had any experience with boats though other than owning a twelve foot, 15hp boat about twenty years ago. I just got the urge to go fishing offshore and jumped in feet first. Hope I don't drown financialy in the process! The whole sucess of my project will be the end results. If it floats and gives me good service and a chance to catch some nice fish I'll be happy.

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (PICS UPDATED DAILY)

Not much went on today. Removed fuel pump, water pump and put second coat of stain sealer on helm wood trim. Started vaccuming cuddy cabin bilge pump area of leaves and debri. Did a little bit of manual reading and cruised the web for parts and retoration ideas. (In other words, "I just goofed off!") Right now I'm going to surf the web for best price on a Type-I lower water pump kit. Think it has replaceable vanes instead an impeller. Don't know yet cause I still have'nt dropped the foot down yet. Did I say I was going to try and have all this priject done by the 15th? "Must have been out of my mind!" Ron

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Did I say I was going to try and have all this priject done by the 15th? "Must have been out of my mind!" Ron

when i started glassing the extension section of my hull, i thought the glassing portion would last 3 days....it took me a month.......the whole project was slated to be done for may 1 st.....the boat will see the water this year.....but only for tryals.....the entire project wont be compleated till may of next year......they allways take much longer than expected.....

but after your 4th or 5th resto....it goes much quicker, as you know how far to do what job.......

cheers
oops

LX Kid

Ensign

Just wondering if the Okanagan Lake empties into the Skaha Lake? Can you navigate your boat into Skaha Lake? Looks like a couple of nice lakes. Ron

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup it does......the big okanagan lake runs from vernon (north) to kelowna (central) to pentiction (south)...pentiction is on a natural land bridge between the south end of the okanagan lake and skaha.....skaha is quite a bit smaller...but still a really great lake......

there is a channel between the two lakes......but they dont allwo boats thru....however you can tube down the channel between the two lakes.....there is even a bus that (a big one) will take you back to the starting point......the channel hosts over 100,k tourists tubing it a year.
skahas calm waters host a lot of major events from dragon boat racing to iron man competitions....its also a major party spot for the locals in pentiction :)

there is another series of lakes seperated by a mountain to the east of our area....its called kalamalka lake......(the lake of many colors) kal has been voted by national geographic magazine as the 3rd most beautiful lake in the world.....

again, a natural land bridge seperates kal and woods lake. there is a boating channel between the two lakes....its a big thrill to boat thru the channel for first time visitors...the cahnnel is only 30 feet wide and very shallow....with a road bridge that you boat under........one of our forum members called shawn floats has property at the campsite that the channel goes thru....its called tween lakes resort

on any given day in the summer.....kal and woods are 5-10 degrees warmer than the okanagan or skaha lakes

the water in kal is so clean you can drink it......you can see at least 30 feet down....that is really unuasual for a inland lake.......ill get some pics next time i drive by

cheers
oops

LX Kid

Ensign

Canada really sounds like a beautiful place. (In the late spring and summer! LoL) By hook or crook my boat will be in the water by middle of next week! It may not be as pretty as I want it to be but it's going in the water unless some major unforseen mechanical problem arrises. Today I put on the carb, rebuilt the tilt motor assembly and installed fuel pump. Still waiting for the water pump and fuel seperator filter. Tomorrow I'll intall the tilt motor assembly and fuction check it. I also plan on dropping the lower foot and check out water impeller, which I have one on order. Yes I'm still slacking off on doing the cubby cabin door! Ron

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking good!!

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Canada really sounds like a beautiful place.

Canada is huge (bigger than the US) and has it's good places and bad places.

oops! and I just happen to live in about the nicest place in the country though. Several big lakes for boating and hundreds of small lakes for fishing.

Just try going through the channel from Wood to Kalamalka with an old stringer drive where you can't raise the outdrive with the motor running. Don't work so well.

LX Kid

Ensign

Hello Tacklewasher. I clicked on your link "Shareaproject" and could not find any project for you. Did I miss it? Ron

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great boat, that's exactly the hull I spent 3yrs. trying to find up here. Settled on my Sangster, I hope it turns out as good as your GW.

Even though I am doing the Sangster, I am STILL looking for a Grady:D

LX Kid

Ensign

I posted a request for help over in the "Electrics/Electronics & Trolling Motors" forum for my Tilt/Trim motor problems. If there are any experts on the dual solenoid wireing hook-up I would appreciate a post over there. The seller said he just used it last week!!!
Here's pics before and after.

Last edited: