1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED 9/17/08)

What did u use to attach the "shower" material to the wood?
Did you screw it in or use adhesive?

jcsercsa

Captain

Feel like I'm moving at a snails pace now. Only got the lower foot painted and installed the new impellar. The temp was 95 degrees today, which isn't bad, it's the humidity that gets to me. Recieved the alternator and will install it and the lower foot tomorrow. Hope my new switches come tomorrow from Radio Shack to start making the new switch panel. 8 switches, 8 lights and 8 fuse holders. Ron

Hay LX which ones for radio shack did you get ordered ?? let me know how you like them !! i need to do the same to mine !! thanks John

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey jcsercsa! Can't find my receipt right now but I'll let you know the part #'s when I find it. All the parts were about $65.00 Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey FreeBeeTony! I did'nt use any adhesive because the all the edges are held in place by screws or cuddy door overlap. The foot rest on the right side also secures the middle. Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey again jcsercsa! Just got my switches, lights and fuse holder. The last item are spare spade connectors. Ron

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign

Day 19 Still stuck in the snails pace mode. Installed the new alternator and shopped around town for parts. Did'nt get around to re-installing the lower. Found hull logo's and striping online from Crocker's Marine. My son, after work, buffed out the new paint on the repaired bow. Heirloom White was a pretty close match for old hulls. Started looking around for a fiberglass T-top. Anyone know where a good deal might be found in central Florida? Ron
BEFORE
S6001010-1.jpg

AFTER
S6001082.jpg

S6001079.jpg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking work and love to follow your posts. I can do that to cars, just haven't got that far into a boat yet.
So, for your maiden voyage, have you got a place picked out yet? We are just up the beaches from you in Hernando county and I have yet to head out to the Bennington Tanks reef off Bayport. There are 7 Army tanks 18 miles out in 30' that I am dying to run out to, just would like to double team the site.
We have been up here for three years (moved from Tampa) and kept fishing Tarpon Springs because we knew that area. We have found a couple of hot spots closer in that have been really good, but want to venture out a little.
Anyway, give me a PM or reply when your ready. Your work looks great so far!! :)

LX Kid

Ensign

Have'nt got that far in my thinking just yet. All my energy has been put to getting it sea worthy. I'm pretty sure that I'll be putting her in the water by end of next week. All the mechanical problems have been resolved and am now going into the electrical. Have all new guages and new switches. Still have to work on trailer brakes, hydraulic actuator, reset bunks and move boat back to reduce tongue weight. I figure about $500 in parts to do that. Sometime soon I'm going to have to start picking up aluminium cans on the hiway in order to buy some gasoline for the boat!! LoL Ron

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Check out TA Mahoneys (corner of 60 and 50th St) for the T-Top. They get consignments in every now and then and I have seen these there before.​

Also check Craigslist. A lot of boat scrapyards in Hudson advertise on it.​

That boat is shaping up. I was going to stop over this week, but had too many projects keeping me busy. I might get out your way next week.​

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (PICS UPDATED DAILY)

Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (PICS UPDATED DAILY)

So actually I'm not too disappointed with cost of project, just all the lies the seller had told me about how mechanicaly good shape the boat was in!

... aint that the truth (no pun intended). Your progress and dedication is motivating. Nice job, looking great.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Very nice job on the fiberglass repair!!

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks FreeBeeTony and AZLakes for the praise! I'll pass that on to my son! This morning I've been removing the hull logo's and stripes. Heat gun does pretty good job with a square ended putty knife laying it real flat with the hull.

Been thinking about the floor/fuel tank cover and reasoning behind useing squares of wood instead of solid plywood. Maybe the thinking by GW was concern about warping. With all the resin that was used it was really strong until it got wet. It should have never really been wet in that area unless submerged!??????!!!!?????

Anyone know where I might find the switch function indicator labels? Or do you have a unique idea for them other than using a label make? Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

That's a good idea triumphrick! I remember bezels like that when I was in the military. Have to look into that. Thanks

LX Kid

Ensign
Yipes, No Stripes!

Yipes, No Stripes!

Got all the stripes off and wet sanded with 320. Looks kinda plain with no stripes. Croker Marine said they will get them mailed to me on Wednesday. About time to restart on the topside now. My son spent most of the day getting the floor/tank cover wooded in and fiberglassed. (About 4 hours and $90 for materials.) "Imagine" he knocked off early, on a Sunday, and went fishing! Go figure! LoL Put couple of runner boards over fuel tank to give just a little more support for us 235 ponders. Here's few pics. Ron

S6001083.jpg

S6001089.jpg

S6001090.jpg

S6001086.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign
'82 Grady White, 24' Weekender Project (PICS)

'82 Grady White, 24' Weekender Project (PICS)

I guess I had better own up to my big "accident" yesterday. I was trying to install the lower back on and it got away from my hands and I buggerd the upper's seal. So now it's back to the marine store to get another seal and trying to remove the old and install the new. Wow it's way up in there. Guess I'll use a large wooden dowel, with a little sealer on the end, and tap it in. Anyone have any technique suggestions for putting the foot back on without tearing up the seal? My boat sits so low, on the trailer, that I had to dig a hole in the ground to allow installation of the lower foot. Gotta quit shooting myself in the foot. My 3-week project is now "officially", a 4-week project.

"THE HOLE" Maybe I should jump in and pull the sand back over me!!!

S6001093.jpg

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

hahaha ohh man LX Kid, not laughing at you hope i am laughing with you LX , man i know how your feeling, I wanted to get mine done by may , then it turned to june , well it ended up the middle of aug, !!!!!!!

Well at the end you will know that she was done right and you wont have to worrie about her ever again !! she should out last you !!! John

FreeBeeTony

Captain

You might find it easier to remove the upper, assemble upper and lower and, then reinstall the entire outdrive on the boat..........make sure your in fwd when removing and installing.

LX Kid

Ensign

When I droped the lower it was in "neutral." It was also missing the SS washer that goes on top of the shift shaft that protects its seal. Found new seal and SS washer at "Riverside Marine," here in Tampa. Being I was in neutral what is the procedure for putting her back together? The small yoke that fits atop the shift shaft drops about an inch and spins freely. Should I push it up and rotate until it fits back into it's "slot?" That's what I did and put a dab of silicone on it to hold in place. I'm so close to dropping this "magnifico boat specimen" into Davey Jones playground and it's the little "got cha's" that are really messing with me. I was told that my forward tank holds 100 gallons and the aft tank holds 50 gallons! If this is true, at current gas prices, who has $580 for gasoline????? Oh well, it sure will look good sitting in my yard! LoL (Really crying.) Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Worked on switch panel today and am going to try and wire it in tomorrow. New switches, indicator lights and fuse holders. Still have to get a cigar lighter for the panel. Found engraved switch labels at Bernard's Engraving Compay for $1.25 each. Should be in by the end of week. Decided to paint the top of the bow cause it looks kind of "ratty." Ron

S6001098.jpg