ACCELERATION

byeager10

Cadet
I HAVE A 1980 GLASTRON SS167 WT.APPROX 2000,MY MOTOR IS A 1983 MERCURY 70HP IT HAS BEEN TUNED UP<br />AND RUNS VERY GOOD COMPR.EXC.MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I ACCEL.THE MOTOR EITHER DIES OR TAKES WHILE TO SPEED UP.IS THIS MOTOR NOT ENOUGH FOR THIS WT BOAT OR CAN I CHANGE THE PROP TO GET BETTER ACCEL<br />THE BOAT PROBABLY GOES 22 MPH TOPS

hgmehos

Recruit
Re: ACCELERATION

When an engine dies out momentarily at higher rpm's, it sound like a cut and dry case of water in the fuel. A 70hp engine should move a boat of your size adequately. Install a water separator/fuel filter in the fuel line between the tank and the engine. Other causes could be dirty carburetor jet or a too lean fuel/air mixture.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello: <br /><br />I have a 96 Glastron GS 160 and I have a 1979 Merc 140 (About 126 at the prop) on it. If you don't plan on trying to tow a skier then the 70 should do just fine, But I would get the biggest motor that the boat could handle. You might find that the bigger motor will be easier on fuel because you don't have it at WOT all the time. I hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig

byeager10

Cadet

TO ACCELERATE I HAVE TO PUSH THE LEVER REAL SLOW TO GET UP TO SPEED TO FAST AND THE MOTOR DIES OUT

The Marine Doctor

Commander

It sounds like the engine starves for fuel as you start to accel.<br /><br />You can try to adjust the low speed needles. They should be set around 1 1/2. If this does not work.<br /><br />Remove and rebuild the carbs. This should take care of your problem.<br /><br />TMD