hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Ok guys and gals. I just got off the phone with ward , hes been busy with a honey do and the boat !! he's been working on the ski locker and the beer cooler!! he is still in the building , and he's trying to make a deal till the end of the month !!

he said if he can he will try to get on here tomorrow night !!

AND Buddie Be carefull with that Lighter !! hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahaha John

call him back tell him we need pics lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi guys.....sorry i havent been on the site for a bit.....

first of all....bubba....im thinking...:D

and john......i got it dryed in time....the lighter and 85 mph wind did it..!

ok.......ive been working on the boat for about 12-16 hrs a day sun mon and tues......i had to run to vancouver yesterday, so no joy on the boat then....

ive been doing the deck and lockers in the floor, glassing everything. ill be building the cooler tonight.

the cooler will be in the floor, and surrounded by foam for insulation.....(the only foam on the whole boat.
i picked up some pvc and drains from the local hdware store......
the cooler is actually two seperate coolers. one on each side of the main stringer, between the captains and passenger seats. each cooler will have a seperate drain that has a regular sink plug......it will drain thru pvc all the way to the bilge......

i have a ton of pics for you guys......they are in the camera at the shop....
ill be uploading as soon as i can get camera and puter and internet at the same place:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way......

there was a post on here a while ago about csm drinking a ton of resin....:confused:

i figgured out what the poster was talking about and why.

i was doing the top of the deck with one oz csm. i had allready precoated the peice with resin and let it allmost cure....(it took forever to cure)

i was doing the peice on the ground out front of the big bay doors at about 6 pm. the temp was dropping fast......when you stood up....the temp was around 70 deg......meanwhile, on the ground.....it was quite a bit cooler....when i started the peice......all was going good....by the time i got to the last peice..(after sundown)...the temp had dropped to around 50 deg, and it took twice as much resin to saturate the csm........(i put two quartz work lights on it to keep the resin and the substraight warm)

you can do glasswork at lower temps. but it takes more resin as the viscosity is lowered considerably, it also took a long time to cure at 2.4% catylist to resin ratio......(really, really hot mix....thats right at the upper edge of spec)

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the cooler will be in the floor, and surrounded by foam for insulation.....(the only foam on the whole boat.
i picked up some pvc and drains from the local hdware store......
the cooler is actually two seperate coolers. one on each side of the main stringer, between the captains and passenger seats.

hey that is a great idea but the question is ..... is it big enough to hold a case of carona or 2

oops!

Supreme Mariner

each side holds 12 :D....if the cops come....just throw a carpet over the hatch!

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

each side holds 12 :D....if the cops come....just throw a carpet over the hatch!

lmao that great
glad to see you back thought maybe you injured you arms and hands trying to lift the honey do list :D:eek::D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well i putzed around for 4 hours tryng to make a plastic beer cooler.....

i took a tupperwear container.......and cut the ends.....that way it would fit the form of the center stringer to the outer stringer. played with the angels, tuck taped it till the cows came homeand it still wasnt right!

the plan was to make 2 containers....an inner one and an outer one....and fill the area between the inner and outer container with foam....(are ya all confused yet??) :D.

well,,,,,after putzing for 4 hours.......ive decided to scrap that plan.....and make it out of thin plywood...the same box in a box plan.....glass the exterior and the interior of the box.....then just paint the inside with gellcoat.....sand somewhat smooth....and done.....thats an 8 hour job at least for both coolers.....a real pain.....but after its done......its permanent and will fit exactally.......

ill have that done tonight.....then the deck will go in tommorow or sunday.
instead of rhino lining....or tuffcoating......im just gonna gellcoat the deck.
lets see the water get in there!

more updates tomm

cheers
oops

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

ill have that done tonight.....then the deck will go in tommorow or sunday.
instead of rhino lining....or tuffcoating......im just gonna gellcoat the deck.
lets see the water get in there!

Are you going to texture it in any way?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gellcoating the deck is really over kill as carpet is going down over the gellcoat....so i dont know yet if im just going to leave it and knock down the roller bumps or sand it smooth....

the roller leaves a natural textured surface.....allmost like a non slip. if you just sand off any sharp peaks....it actually looks really cool...

but the boat will get carpet......i just cant see a snap in working with the overall plan....so its gonna be a glue down......so really....whats under the rug wont matter....

drop in for a beer bud......:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yuppers....wear your anti dust clothes...:eek:

even tho i swept half of it and tryed to get some of it somewhat cleaner......it still looks like a hurricane went thru there :D

btw.....even if the door is closed and the gate locked.....just text me.....ive been working with the door closed lately.....so they have been locking the gate.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay buddie , cant you get a Styrofoam cool and cut that to fit ?? you could cut the bottom out and put it back in after you get the side and height to fit. and then glass over that ?? John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hay buddie , cant you get a Styrofoam cool and cut that to fit ?? you could cut the bottom out and put it back in after you get the side and height to fit. and then glass over that ?? John

MANNNNN .....i ooked at everything, from styrofoam to plastic to tupperware. to an old cooler.......

the problem is....the shape of the hull snd the stringer space. to cooler must fit between the main stringer and the outer stringers. that means no right angles....a really odd shape.

i do have a 12 volt fridge from my semi truck that will work.....but it just wont work in the overall plan of the boat.

possibly i can put the fridge into the back uph before the swin pad....or between the drivers and passengers seats under the bow step......but that will cause other problems......not to mention, compressors in fridges dont like to be bounced around.

i was working on the cooler last night, and it took me all night to make the two outer boxes. they are done. but the inner boxes that will srve as the inside of the cooler are a lot tougher, as there is no way (outside of dove tailing) to join the edges.......and i dont have the time to glue and clamp.

so im thinking on that one today.
i have a ton of pics on my camera. ill try to get them downloaded and post pic updates......i have about 3 pages of them :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tackelwasher, did you come there last night?

i didnt get there till 7 ish, and when i got there, there were some "beverages" outside the shop door that i could not explain :D

ill be there again tonight. oops sr. might drop by. and all day sunday.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and bubba....ive been thinking very hard on what you pm'ed me about....

at this time, all i can think of is three psi gauges. up to 150 lbs read out.

but i know im missing about 20 readouts that i just cant think of.
my brain has gone dead:eek::confused:

salty87

Commander

this could be a day or 2 late to suggest but you might consider buying small coolers and just fab'ing spots to drop them into.

the main reason, dropping to your knees or lower to reach in there sux. you'll have to go back in for trash at the end of the day too unless you have a spot for it. it would be easier to just drop the whole thing in there and then take it out at the end of the day.

the routine of loading up the built-in cooler- taking everything out to the boat/breaking down 12 pack or whatever/ice...easier to take a packed ice chest out to the boat and go. buying the coolers has gotta be easier and it will work better probably too (colder).

my built-in is the trash can lots of times. it's just easier to load the ice chest inside, bring it out, and go.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh....salty....dropping to your knees is easy when yer layin on the deck over beered :D

actually i thought about that for a long time....weither to put the cooler in the floor.....its a long way down from the captains chairs.....but when i thought about the overall concept and theme....the beer cooler in the floor was the only choice...

there will be space for a standard carry on cooler in the motor area under the sun pad.

also one of the things i thought about....is when the cops ask to look in the cooler....ill show them that one....with water and pop in it.......and throw a beach towel over the hatch for the beer cooler......that way the water cops wont find the stash o cold ones

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hehehe unless the water cop ia a iboats reader :eek:

jcsercsa

Captain

Ok how about molded plastic , i worked with that stuff a little and if you get the dem, you can have one bent to your spec, ??? been thinking on it today at work !! John

redfury

Commander

Idea time! Not knowing how the boat is designed specifically under where the cooler is going, this is what popped into my head. Depending on what kind of drainage past the "cooler" is going to be, why couldn't you fit something in the hole that would be water tight, like a rubber membrane or? Then fill the void with foam, carve out your hole, glass the interior with CSM and put the hatch on? You could even put drains in after it was done or before depending on what you envision for your drainage from the coolers.

The 12v "cooler/heater" ice chests use active cooling by using an oversized "peltier" cooler. It creates intense heat on one side by sucking the heat off the other side which causes that side to get cold. For a cooler to really do a good job keeping things cool, I think just having good insulation and plenty of ice is going to be enough to last the day, especially with the hull in contact with the water....the heat transfer there won't be nearly as bad as in contact with open air/exposure to the sun. I've got a 3 day cooler, and they make 7 day coolers that use frozen ice packs...so I don't think the coolers really need to have anything other than ice or packs to be effective. Then you can open the drains after the day and let the water out of the coolers and off you go the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.