How to tell if the oil pump is working?

Gnich210

Cadet
I have a 1987 Merc 50hp serial number 0b299911. How can I tell if the 2 cycle oil pump is actually delivering oil with the fuel?<br />I have gotten everything else working on the motor and am ready to put it in the water but have this fear i will burn it up due to the oil pump not working properly. A couple of times when I started it I saw a few puffs of smoke but that is all. I bought a manual but it has no information on how to tell.<br /><br />I have a clear fuel filter but still can't seem to tell. Any ideas. <br /><br />Tks

Keith Buchanan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to tell if the oil pump is working?

I go purely by colour and smell of exhaust, it should be blue smoke and have the very distinctive smell of lube. If you are not too sure to begin with premix your fuel 50:1 and run with this for the first trip until you know what you are looking for..<br /><br />Good luck Keith B...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Keithy is correct. Pre-mix if you have any doubts about the oiler. Check the resevoir as you go and if it's going down, it's working. You should be able to see this within using 6 gallons. So if you have a built-in tank, run it on a portable tank the first time out if you have alot of straight fuel in the built-in one. That way you don't end up with a bunch of pre-mixed fuel in your main tank. I will say this to ease your mind though. Merc. injection is VERY reliable...

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rebuilt my 87 150 last year and had the same fear as you. Mine has a section of clear hose between the oil pump and the check valve that connects to the fuel line so you can see that oil is getting to the fuel.