hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Check these out.http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bvdb/. Whats the difference between an outboard and in board tach other than the rpm range? Prolly nothing.

Cptkid570

Ensign

You are going to have a 383 stroker in that boat and you'll need a tach that goes over 9000? OH SNAP!

Someone is going to be hauling some serious asss!

Actually, what do you think the final weight of the boat will be?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Are you open to "off the wall" thinking? :) I have been kicking around building my own "dash board" consisting of a 17" LCD panel (think wide screen lap top PC) to do all the guages while incorporating GPS, mapping, depth sounder, and possibly some engine management tasks. (I am thinking a touch screen would be nice.)

As I may have said in other threads, my company does factory automation everyday using this type of technology so I see no huge issues in putting it together. Just a few (lol) hours of programming and $$$ for the hardware.

Any thoughts in that direction?

i thought about that......it would be cool....but for me the programming would be tough......

just think....i boats on the lake.......only thing is........iffen i left the web cam on when wifey and i were playing.......:eek: :eek:....id get smited ! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Check these out.http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bvdb/. Whats the difference between an outboard and in board tach other than the rpm range? Prolly nothing.

as far as the ob tach.....i dont know....but number of cyls is major.

and those are cool....but still kinda plain

oops!

Supreme Mariner

You are going to have a 383 stroker in that boat and you'll need a tach that goes over 9000? OH SNAP!

Someone is going to be hauling some serious asss!

Actually, what do you think the final weight of the boat will be?

no idea....i want to weigh it soon.....but im guessing with the motor....about 26 or 2700 dry....

wet and with people as much as 3300......

the really cool thing is when ondarvr and i were looking at the hull....we figgured the "pad" would be much much smaller than indicated, as the boat may actually ride on the strakes and not the chines.....but only time will tell

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I just got through getting caught up on this and the Scarab thread . . . Wow, just the motivation I needed to get back to work. Will update my Chris Replica project soon. Great job on the Gelcoat ooops!, and again, the competitive juices are just what I needed!!!!!!

I am also curious about the 9000 RPM need :eek: Here is a good place for surplus gauge packages. They got Baja's stuff, so maybe there is a good match for you. This is where I got my new set. I went with the four in one combo plus speedo and tach though. Keeps the bigger faces more like a vintage boat . . .

Great Lakes Skipper

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I am also curious about the 9000 RPM need :eek: Here is a good place for surplus gauge packages. They got Baja's stuff, so maybe there is a good match for you. This is where I got my new set. I went with the four in one combo plus speedo and tach though. Keeps the bigger faces more like a vintage boat . . .

Great Lakes Skipper

the 9000 rpm....is cause i want to spin at 6000 wot....that means redline should be 9000 for margine of safety.......

and thanks for the link....i just spent the last hour going over it !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and thanks turtle......i really dont know what it want.....just somthing ..."not ordianry" somthing unusaual....but i do like big gauges......

i might keep the orig speedometer as a back up....it is a stand alone and looks like a bullet.....too bad it only reads up to 35 mph.....it says 55....but ive only seen it at 35......i was goin 42.8 gps

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

redfury

Commander

Y'know oops!, that touchscreen dashboard would really be "wave of the future" and totally make this boat the cats meow, especially considering the need for the custom dash. If he can program this thing, you could get all your gauges set, and a depth finder to boot right on that screen, and I can just see the smile on that dusted white face of yours creep across it when the boot screen comes up and the boat "becomes the life of the party".

It would be totally wicked. And if we got an inside man for the job, would be probably economical enough to pull off. I mean, while you are at it, you could do a key card ignition system, or even better....biometrics! Put your thumb on the panel to start the motor ;)

redfury

Commander

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/LowranceNET-Marine-Networking-System/

How fancy do you want to get with your isntrumentation?
For example, the use of an EP-60R Fuel Flow Sensor, in conjunction with an LGC-3000 GPS or EP-70R Speed Sensor, can provide comprehensive fuel management capability onboard. You'll know precisely how far and how much operational time you have left, fuel-wise, based on your current speed. That's an incredible benefit to any boater, particularly to coastal anglers and boaters!

QC

Supreme Mariner

the 9000 rpm....is cause i want to spin at 6000 wot....that means redline should be 9000 for margine of safety...
What chew talkin' 'bout Willis? I is totally confused. You want a 383 that cruises at 6000? With a redline at 9000? If so, you want those stolen engines. :eek: I knew it. Well . . . actually I said it was Gary H NC, but first I said somebody here, so that's it, I just figured it out. Two for the Scarab that was never an OB to begin with and one for you . . .

Edit: Wait, just reread. You want wot at 6000, what the flyin' flip does 9000 have to do with anything? Get a 7000 RPM tach, and then we'll talk about your plans later . . .

redfury

Commander

pic 23.....why is it that tin bashers allways insist on making life tough :mad:

Yeah, they had ZERO cold air returns in the basement...wonder why it was so cold?

one thing building my house tought me.......i aint afaraid of nuthin on a house now......from the 2 inch wide hard wood floor to the italian marble tiles and the bathroom cabinets with heated floors......i did it all....and people say it is one of the best bathrooms in the city........untill they look reeeeeelll close...:D

I'm going for the same thing with that "faux" molding. I may work on it some more, I'm not totally happy with it, but it's such a weird angle to paint on too. My big thing is that I don't want the job to end up looking like an amateur did it, but I'm not expecting professional results either.

Good luck with your graphics guy, btw. Sounds like you have got some great resources to make this project happen.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

speaking of the LCD touch screen dash.

I am a controls systems engineer, I have been programming PLC's (programmable logic controllers) DCS's (distributive control systems) and HMI (human machine interfaces) for ages, there are numerous manufactureres, I deal with an industreal (power generation and natural gas processing).

1st, many many systems providers are out there that can fit the needs. it would be 100% unique and amazing.. and the screens you can create, you can set different alarms (temp, pressure, flow... on and on and on).. if you can dream it, it can be programmed.. when you decide what you want.. let the group know.. i am sure I can dig some stuff up as well...

for my (thus far nonexistant boat) I have a Curtis instrumets gauge cluster. full lCD, it will show MPH, RPM, Fuel, Temp look at the engageIV

http://www.curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.dspInstrumentation

this option, while not a cool as a fully customized programmed HMI screen is still more unique than just gauges..

jcsercsa

Captain

very cool, i like them colobiker !!!how much are we talking about ?? John

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oops, i now kinda feel your pain i am in the process of repairing my dads 1996 C-4 Corvette after a run in with a deer. we got a new hood and i new fiberglass hood is FAR from ready to paint lol needles to say i eas dist head to toe today and if i'm lucky i will paint it tomorrow, my first clue should have been the insurance adjuster giving me 7.7 hrs to instal it and 8.2 hrs to refinish it

erikgreen

Captain

Oops, I used one of the Lowrance multi-function displays recently, and I'm thinking of doing the next boat with four of them... two big(LMF-400), two small (LMF-200). Each one can switch between speedo, tach, speed, GPS position, fuel... anything you have a sensor for. It handles dual engines, dual tanks, whatever. It also can display in either digital (just numbers, easy to read) or analog (gauge style) up to four sets of numbers per display at one time. Also trim tab settings if you have the NMEA-2000 sender for those.

With a fuel flow gauge it'll also tell you how much fuel you've used, how much is left in the tank down to the last drop accurately, and how many gallons per mile you use at any given speed.

It's getting more and more common to go all electronic like that, because it looks pretty cool, but that may not be what will go with your theme, I dunno....

Erik

fishrdan

Admiral

oops! what does your avatar say,,, driving me crazy,,, maybe I missed something... Looks like

NEVER
I can read the rest
:D

The remote control looks sweeet,

The AutoMeter gauges are nice too, time to go shopping eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.