hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

ok....im back on the hull today.....i hope to be able to start using some polishing compound on it....so well start to see the shine soon !

picks coming soon

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

OHHH too cool buddie !! cant wait to see her glow !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welll..... ididnt get as far as the polishing compound tonight......ran into a little snag.......

beside my phone ringing every time i got my resporator on.....one of the problems i was having was that the wax in the gellcoat was gumming up the sand paper often......really often.....220 grit was gumming up in minits......literally after 3 minits of hand sanding...the paper was so gummed that it was usless......

as far as i can tell.....my resin rep sold "he" some gellcoat that is uasually used in a mold.....the wax was really heavy and came to the top.....thats what was gumming up the paper.....i didnt notice it that bad the other night as i was only on it for a little while before i got draged away....

so tonight it was really a pita......i tryed wverything....different grits....hand....machine....finally i aceitoned it....4 times....it sanded longer....so i cleaned it again....this time i scrubbed it hard with aceitone...i could feel when the wax was going away....then i hit it with 220 grit and presto....done.......so after putzing around for a few hours.....

this is the hull after gellcoating

gellcoatingset4001.jpg

just a few minor porblematic areas .....i added more gellcoat in this area with a peice of paper with gleecoat on it after we sprayed it

gellcoatingset4002.jpg

the nose looks a lot better

gellcoatingset4003.jpg

i only got the one side done with 400 grit tonight....

gellcoatingset4006.jpg

but now that i can cut thru the wax easily.....i figure i can be on the next phase early tommorow......

gellcoatingset4010.jpg

you can guess what that is :eek:

cheers
oops

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Looks amazing Oops....

redfury

Commander

Looks beautiful Ward. Next thing you know, you'll be grinding on the cap!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You should test a small area first, sand all the way to the finest grit you plan to use and then buff the it, try the same thing again, only don't use as fine of grit and see if it buffs out as well. This will let you know just how much sanding you'll need to do. Some brands and types of gel coat can be easier or harder than others to sand and buff, sometimes 600 grit sctratches can be buffed out and other times you need to go much finer.

Cptkid570

Ensign

It looks great! Thank you very much for continuing to keep us posted on your progress. I can't wait to see it in the water!

erikgreen

Captain

I'm in awe of your sanding expertise, man :)

Keep at it, it's going to look fantastic, one of a kind, and NEW :)

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks guys.....one of the things im finding difficult...is to find sand paper fine enough......

after hand sanding .....(the paper for that is no problem) but to go to a 800 or 12-1600 fine grit on a hook and loop 8 inch pad is really hard.....the standard is a 6 inch disc....so now i have to find a 6 inch disc with a 2 inch thick foam pad...with a 5/8th arbour..or continue doing it by hand ! :eek:

btw....at our local auto supply store....a box of 50 - 8 inch 220 grit hook and loop from 3m....sells for $90 bucks a box....cash deal at $60........thats a buck and some a sheet.

in other specialty stores.....(glass and auto body stores)....a different paper...(not 3m) sells for 60 cents a pad.....and less for a box of 50.

so it really pays to shop around for the little shop supplies....

ok....im off to the boat soon.......and btw....erik....check your new thread :)

cheers
oops

WizeOne

Commander

I hope you are using plenty of soap and water. I know that might be hard using a machine but it makes a huge difference in the cutting rate and paper life.

jcsercsa

Captain

I hope you are using plenty of soap and water. I know that might be hard using a machine but it makes a huge difference in the cutting rate and paper life.

what is this ?? you cant use soap and water on regular sand paper ?? John

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after i aceitoned it....(in the update comin ) it wasnt too bad.

Have you tried Randy at Macaw auto yet? He'll know where to get anything you need. He might have what you need right there.

randys paper bill is 1800 a month.....in gonna turn him on to the supplyer i just found.....just bought 40 sheers of hook and loop 4 $15.....and they stayed till 5:30 to sell it to me :)

.....noklu....are you home yet....or still in saskabush?.....its gotta be gettin cold there !:eek:

WizeOne

Commander

what is this ?? you cant use soap and water on regular sand paper ?? John

I cut discs out of wet and dry paper and glue them onto my orbital sander with 3M Feathering Disc Adhesive. Then I have a pint squeese bottle with a tiny little hole in the tip that I use to keep the area wet with a soap and water solution.

It does sling a little stuff around but sure cuts the time on the job.

Besides all that, oops was using wet and dry to sand by hand. He showed a picture of it back aways.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi wize.....that can really keep the costs down.....hook and loop is a killer......3m is crazy money........gluing them is great and cheeeep !

WizeOne

Commander

hi wize.....that can really keep the costs down.....hook and loop is a killer......3m is crazy money........gluing them is great and cheeeep !

Yeah, you just want to be sure to load your sander up before you turn it on. If you just let it spin in the air, it will fling the paper off the pad. But then you should have your orbital on the work surface before you start it anyway. Other wize it can cut your work surface pretty good if you set the disc, already spinning, on the surface.

Sheesh, you just getting up or haven't you gone to bed yet? I'm just up for a pit stop and to let a little hayfever spell settle down. I'll be heading back to finish the night very shortly.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok......so on ondarvrs advice....i tryed several different ways of sanding.....the premise is that after a certain grit with certain different brands of gellcoat....you cant do any better........for example....theres no use going to 1600 grit or above...because your lambs wool polisher will do more for you than the sand paper......

i scuffed mrs oops with 1500 today.....she said ...."thats soft"!

the first thing i needed to do....was determine what 600 wet would do.......so....i finished a small section with 600 dry....then dusted and aceitoned the area

gellcoatingset5001.jpg

then.....i divided the area in two.....(the cigarette package)

gellcoatingset5002.jpg

i wet sanded the first patch with 600....(the closest section) and just dry polished the second section......

gellcoatingset5003.jpg

the pics dont really show the difference....but up clost its really appearant

gellcoatingset5005.jpg

this is the compound material i am using.....called far'ecla (fair-ek-la)

gellcoatingset5006.jpg

(neither me nor the rep can spell it )........but its a really good product.....

this is the results after fine sanding both (the wet section and the dry) taking them to 1500 grit.

gellcoatingset5007.jpg

WizeOne

Commander

Wow! That is starting to look like a boat oops.

I didn't understand which worked better, the 600 wet or dry?

And what happens if you go straight from the 600 to the polishing compound?

I've done it on an auto finish and it looks like a mirror, but then I didn't have a gross amount of orange peel to cut down.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i hope this pic is clear enough

gellcoatingset5008.jpg

there is scratches in the wet section and none in the dry area.....

gellcoatingset5009.jpg

even tho, it is impossible to get an "out of the mold" look with a spray on job....the wet sanded area is cloudy while the dry area is clean looking....

i finished both areas out to 1500.......the dry looked better....

but it was during this test....i discovered my paper rep had mistakenly given me twice as much 1500 (20 sheets) instead of 10 1500 and 10 1200 :(
so i didnt have 1200.....just 1000 and 1500 grit....(its a lot of sanding between 1000 and 1500 grit)

sooooo.....i sanded the whole hull side down to 1000 grit.....

gellcoatingset5010.jpg

pretty clever 1000 eh?

this is what the hull looks like with 1000 grit

gellcoatingset5011.jpg

it looks dull....but there is a sheen underneath....

gellcoatingset5012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.