hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Hay buddie , man she really looking great !! what about the top ?? are you going to gel coat the top !! and is the wiring done ?? how the arms feeling ??? lol dont worrie i will be there this winter on mine !! not to that extent !! LOL how long before you got to be out ?? ok buddie keep it going were all here for yea !!! John

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a trick that we use when wet sanding cars is to wrap sand paper around a paint stick and run it at a 45 degree angle it works wonders. and like angale said there are some great filling\building primers on the market if you are planing on a painted finish.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I figure I'll pop over and help out. I here one of these

u108779.jpg

is a good tool for fixing gelcoat.

:)

WizeOne

Commander

...the squeege trick is really easy.....when doing a flat area with gellcoat....(after the surface is prepped) just pour on some gellcoat and use a squgee to move the gleecoat around......it will fill any bubbled or low spots or fix any surface imperfections......and leave you with a totally smooth surface.....

Do you then make a pass over the squeeged area with the spray gun as you are spraying the non-squeeged areas?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

rngale

This gel coat application was going to be the final product, there was some miscommunication with the help on sanding it out and it turned into a bigger project, then a respray. Fairing compound was used in the beginning.

To get the whole picture you need to start back in the beginning, this is more of an adventure than a project.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The squeegee technique is simple. When sanding on bare fiberglass or even on putty or fairing compound you can end up with minor imperfections in the surface and on bare F/G there will be pin holes and voids. These can be filled in many ways, but an easy and quick way is to catalyze a small amount of gel coat, pour some on the surface and spread it with a squeegee. A squeegee works well because it will add nothing to the high spots and because of the low viscosity of the gel coat it will be forced into even the smallest pin hole. You can do this a few times if needed to get all the imperfections filled and there's no need to wait for it to get hard, or sand down any high spots or small ridges you may leave with the squeegee before spraying. Since you're using the same gel coat that will be used to spray the part (whatever it is) you're working on, these high spots aren't a concern, they will easily be removed when you start sanding. Many people try to fill these imperfections while spraying the gel coat, or use some type of filler product. If you use a filler it needs to be sanded smooth before spraying, if you try to fill it while spraying, a great deal of gel coat needs to be applied and it still tends to not cover or fill them well sometimes. Plus the surface of the sprayed gel coat tends to have more texture, requiring more sanding.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

rngale

To get the whole picture you need to start back in the beginning, this is more of an adventure than a project.

BAAAA HAAA HAAAAA ......you can say that again roflol :D

mgale......glad to have you on board :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

The squeegee technique is simple. When sanding on bare fiberglass or even on putty or fairing compound you can end up with minor imperfections in the surface and on bare F/G there will be pin holes and voids. These can be filled in many ways, but an easy and quick way is to catalyze a small amount of gel coat, pour some on the surface and spread it with a squeegee. A squeegee works well because it will add nothing to the high spots and because of the low viscosity of the gel coat it will be forced into even the smallest pin hole. You can do this a few times if needed to get all the imperfections filled and there's no need to wait for it to get hard, or sand down any high spots or small ridges you may leave with the squeegee before spraying. Since you're using the same gel coat that will be used to spray the part (whatever it is) you're working on, these high spots aren't a concern, they will easily be removed when you start sanding. Many people try to fill these imperfections while spraying the gel coat, or use some type of filler product. If you use a filler it needs to be sanded smooth before spraying, if you try to fill it while spraying, a great deal of gel coat needs to be applied and it still tends to not cover or fill them well sometimes. Plus the surface of the sprayed gel coat tends to have more texture, requiring more sanding.

this is a super post........really good....theres lots of info here.....

the texture ondarvr is referring to is commonly called orange peel.....

on gellcoat....it can be severe.....as each layer is applyed.....it (the gellcoat)does not flo into low areas....it just builds up the highs. with his squeege trick.the lows are eliminated....thus, the orange peel from the thick spray is eliminated)

i had the boat shot with gellcoat very thick......thinking that i could just sand the excess....i was not correct......the orange peel was huge.....it doesnt seem like it at first....but hit it with a fine sand paper like 220 grit (just a bit rougher than a sheet of paper) and your arms will fall off sanding it !

for any one shooting a whole hull......(i told my worst enemey to buy a new boat! :eek: :D)

ondarvrs trick will save then at least 10 hours of sanding.....and thats a lot !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hay buddie , man she really looking great !! what about the top ?? are you going to gel coat the top !! and is the wiring done ?? how the arms feeling ??? lol dont worrie i will be there this winter on mine !! not to that extent !! LOL how long before you got to be out ?? ok buddie keep it going were all here for yea !!! John

i know you guys are right there with me on every stroke of the long board.
when i finally float the boat.....if you guys are at work or somewhere and get the sudden urge to grab the pfd's youll know whats goin on :D

(or perhaps see in your minds eye a bazillion ping pong balls floating on a lake).....:D :D :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....toucan is allmost done the wiring........im going to paint the top for now.....but i might end up gellcoating the top just for the pain of it.....

im expecting to water tryal the boat in 3 weeks.........(but ive said that before....!!!! :eek: :eek:)

and my arms are feeling like their gonna fall off........

tonight i was on top of the boat longboarding the plaining surface just for the straight of it.....and i realized........im really sick of sanding this boat !

im really ready for the next phase......im sooooo sick of sanding....

the next phase is the fun one....adding all the neat stuff i planned on ...like the kingsized fold down bed....and the beer coller in the floor....the dual heaters.....and the automatic fenders !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Do you then make a pass over the squeeged area with the spray gun as you are spraying the non-squeeged areas?

yuppers wize.....then spray it just like you would any part.....squeegeing is just a really quick way of filling any minor surface imperfections

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the wake tower with stripper pole attachment :D

WizeOne

Commander

btw..........adding all the neat stuff i planned on ...like the ....and the automatic fenders !

This I gots to see!:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you caught that eh wize?......pretty quick !
been working on them in my head for over 2 years......just gotta find the right material....the rest is not that hard.

and as far as the stripper pole noklu...:D......i gotta get a retractable one cause it will get in the way or ms. oops fishing rod. :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....ths gellcoat day......again :eek:

i gotta drive to vancouver this morning and then back......i hope to be back around 2 or 3 pm to get the compressor.....then we spray around 5 ish.....

i locked the door so murphy cant get in......

tackel.....if you are around......we have been keeping the big door closed lately when working.....just look for my blue truck....

stop by any time.....the coolers allways full :)

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

i know you guys are right there with me on every stroke of the long board.
when i finally float the boat.....if you guys are at work or somewhere and get the sudden urge to grab the pfd's youll know whats goin on :D

(or perhaps see in your minds eye a bazillion ping pong balls floating on a lake).....:D :D :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAH ohhh man buddie !!! That aint going to happen , you got enough mental support there where everone thinking about her she would never do that !! heck with all that support she wont even touch the water !! Lol just dont forget the Plug !!! LOL john

jcsercsa

Captain

Holy SH~! page 14 !!!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

14????? im on 53....and it just hit 60,000 ....never in my wildest dreams did i think the battle would last this long :eek: :eek:

jcsercsa

Captain

btw.....toucan is allmost done the wiring........im going to paint the top for now.....but i might end up gellcoating the top just for the pain of it.....

im expecting to water tryal the boat in 3 weeks.........(but ive said that before....!!!! :eek: :eek:)

and my arms are feeling like their gonna fall off........

tonight i was on top of the boat longboarding the plaining surface just for the straight of it.....and i realized........im really sick of sanding this boat !

im really ready for the next phase......im sooooo sick of sanding....

the next phase is the fun one....adding all the neat stuff i planned on ...like the kingsized fold down bed....and the beer coller in the floor....the dual heaters.....and the automatic fenders !

Man when your gone your going to look like Popeye with curly hair !!!! hahaha I feel for your buddie !! John

jcsercsa

Captain

14????? im on 53....and it just hit 60,000 ....never in my wildest dreams did i think the battle would last this long :eek: :eek:

hahahah need a publisher and get this made into a book !! John

Status
Not open for further replies.