I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

nwboater

Cadet
Ok I'm nervous. I've never owned a boat before, never negotiated for one and have no idea if this is a good deal. It's cheaper then what is on the Glastron site but I have no idea if that means anything.

I put a deposit down at the Seattle boat show that ended today but don't have to pull the final trigger until later this week. I've tried to do my homework and hope that I got a good deal. Here is what we agreed upon:

2008 GT 205 Ski and Fish with the following options:
Fishing package
Bow Cover
Cockpit Cover
Bimini Top
Snap in Carpet
Flip up Seat

$23,835.00

Grow Boating $55.00
Freight $850.00
Sub-Total $24,740.00

Sales Tax $2,177.12
Excise Tax $123.70
Boat License $48.00
Trailer License $60.25
License Fee $75.00
Total $27,224.07

Web Discount -$750.00
Grand Total $26,474.07

Anyone have any thoughts?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

And the powerplant is????? - - - drum roll - - - - - ???

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... thats extra :p

ziggy

Admiral

i don't think there jokin nw. they'd like to know what engine + drive ya got. a 4.3, carb., fulie, 5.0, 5.7, alpha 1 drive. bravo drive, volvo drive, etc...... ?

nwboater

Cadet

i don't think there jokin nw. they'd like to know what engine + drive ya got. a 4.3, carb., fulie, 5.0, 5.7, alpha 1 drive. bravo drive, volvo drive, etc...... ?

Ahhh!! Well why didn't you say so! :) I'm the new guy remember. I didn't know "powerplant" meant engine type. Gotcha ;-)

3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a nice boat.Glastrons are very solid well built boats.
Volvo is a rock solid drive too.
The 3.0 is kind of low on power but will be great on fuel.
Just depends on how loaded down you will be and what kind of boating you do.
Congrats to the brand new boat!!!:D

ziggy

Admiral

i know nothin of buyin a new boat man, just ain't got the bread. so i'm envious from square one. i'd look at glastrons. specially the vec technology... don't know if ya got that or not... my guess is though, after readin many threads, if ya end up gettin into boating. ya'll be lookin for more uph in the end...... on the other hand. ya may go further than them big block guys. they'll be outta fuel as ya go cruisein by..... enjoy yer new boat.... not everyone gets to enjoy the options of haveing a boat at all..... don't forget to sign up for yer favorite local boating safety class.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good boat, but with what you mentioned in the other thread, see what they will do a 4.3L for. kids growing up and skiing, tubing, you may wish you had that power. remember Bayliner, did not offer a 3.0. 205 is a big boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

What does that boat weigh...I would strongly consider going with at least a 4.3 V6, I'd guess the weight to be around 3000 lbs give or take a few hundred, the V-6 to me should be the base power in that boat. I have one in my old FW with a Rochester 4bbl carb and it gets up and goes pretty well, but I would not want a 4 cyl in mine for sure, and I bet the Glastron weighs at least as much if not more.

MikDee

Banned

Did you close the deal yet? If not, that size boat is too big for the 4cyl. Get the V6 at least! You'll notice it's unanimous here for a reason! The dealer is just really happy to give you a low ball price for this reason, but he doesn't care he doesn't have to live with that decision. If you're looking to save money, and be happy, get a 17' boat (or the smallest boat in that style you can get) then the 4cyl would be fine! Nothing bigger. I know I'm the Ogre here, but I don't care, it's for your own good ;) Good Luck, Mike

P.S. You could probably get a similarly equipped Bayliner, with a 4.3 EFI for a better price, and still have a newly revised 'World Class" boat! but the Glastron salesman won't tell you that.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I went on Glastron's website and looked this one up, the weight with the V-6 is 2780, it is almost exactly the same size and weight as my old FW 200, definintely go with at least the V-6 if not the 5.0 V-8. A couple thou more now will keep you from making a bigger financial mistake if you buy the 4 cyl and feel it's underpowered, and wind up selling in a few years.

nwboater

Cadet

MikDee, Lou C, tashasdaddy and all the rest,

Thanks guys for the input! Sound's like you're saving me some regrets down the road. Yes the weight on this boat is 2780lbs. When I asked about the smaller engine the salesmans pitch was that Glastrons VEC technology and V hull design got it up faster on plane then larger engines. He supposedly had studies to back this up. However, now that I've heard from all of you I agree that the 3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp) will be dissapointing and I will really kick myself for not spending the extra money for a larger engine.

So the 5.0 GL Volvo Penta (220 hp) is an extra $4,704 on Glastrons website. Thats a substantial increase. Do you think this salesman has the ability to bring this price down much? Because here's the deal. The Bayliner that I was going to buy had a 5.0L MerCruiser? Alpha I (220 HP) and that deal was $29k with a wakeboard tower! If I get the same engine on the Glastron that puts this deal at $32k! I just dont know enough about buying a boat in terms of negotiating a price like I can with a new car. The number that we agreed to yesterday with the 3.0 Volvo was $27k. We're talking an extra 5k. I'm nearing the end of my budget here.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would think they could shave a grand or two off of the price to make the sale.If not back out of the deal.Never pay full retail,they have room to negotiate and the dealer still makes a profit.
They love to push those 3.0 boats out the door..

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice

I find this thread of particular interest to me also.

I am also a first time boat buyer, and have done a fair bit of research and have narrowed the choices down to the Glastron GT-205. We've got a boat show coming up here in a couple of weeks, and I hope the dealers have their pencils sharpened.

As for engines, although I'm a first time owner, I've been on underpowered boats before and want to avoid that at all costs.

I think I will go with the 4.3 Volvo GXi 225HP.

I'm also very curious to see how the local dealer's boat show pricing comes in against the "Real Deal" price that they promote on Glastron's website.

I'll be watching this thread closely. :)

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice

It's cheaper then what is on the Glastron site but I have no idea if that means anything.

Here is what we agreed upon:

2008 GT 205 Ski and Fish with the following options:
Fishing package
Bow Cover
Cockpit Cover
Bimini Top
Snap in Carpet
Flip up Seat

$23,835.00

Tony, you mentioned that they came in cheaper than the web price. Is the price you quoted above from the dealer or the web, because I did a "build your boat" on Glastron's website and came up with the same price as above.

This leads me to believe the price above is from the website.

If the dealer is cheaper, how much so?

Regards,

Shawn

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 4.3 Volvo will be fine. i have the 5.7 volvo, in my 23' deckboat, it is a super power plant. still can ski with 9 aboard. that Bayliner is looking better all the time.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i agree with all.......at least 4.3

20 feet is a big bote...sales pitch or not.....you gotta pull a skier or tube. youll like the 4.3 much better......a new skier weing 240 or 250 lbs wont be able to get outta the water......(an experianced one will....but first timers need the boat to pull them up....(or over as it will be) tee hee ...youll see...dont forget the vid camera.....:D

with the upgrade being..... what did you say.... 47 hundred?.....that sounds allmost like the price of a new 4.3.......alone......

i would say the upgrade could be done for less.......
ive never owned a volvo drive......but from what my mech, and the guys tell me here.....im putting one on my soon to be 24 footer.....

ive owned 4 bangers on a 20 footer....after two years....swapped the motor for a 4.3.....
but im crazy.....now im goin stroker....(383....approx 400 hp)

but all in all...congrats on your new boat......you and your family will love the fun.........

cheers
oops

nwboater

Cadet

Tony, you mentioned that they came in cheaper than the web price. Is the price you quoted above from the dealer or the web, because I did a "build your boat" on Glastron's website and came up with the same price as above.

This leads me to believe the price above is from the website.

If the dealer is cheaper, how much so?

Regards,

Shawn

Shawn,

The $23,835 is what the dealer came up with for the options I wanted. When I input the exact same options on the website I get:

REAL DEAL Price: $25,549
(with options):

REAL DEAL Base Price:
Boat, 3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp), trailer $21,494

Your Engine Choice:
3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp) Included

Trailer:
EZ Loader GM 3500S painted trailer Included

Optional Features:
Fishing Package $1,840
Flip-up bucket seat (1) $137
Snap-in carpet $339

Optional Canvas:
Color-coordinated Sunbrella Bimini top w/boot $635
Color-coordinated Sunbrella bow cover $339
Color-coordinated Sunbrella cockpit cover $765

I wonder if this is unique to my area code: 98006. I live in Bellevue, WA with 5 min access to LOTS of water.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much extra for a galvanized trailer. Might be better if you are ever putting it in salt.