boats on a budget

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: boats on a budget

here's the engine stand, I'll modify it a little and make it better, but for now, it's going to work, got the outboard out of the garage and in the house, excuse the basement though, we got some cleaning to do, lots of wood working projects going on at the moment.

Attachments

• DSCF1193.JPG
    DSCF1193.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 0

Mr.Stuart

and one more question, I've been going to ask this, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

the knob in the picture ......what's it do? last time I was out on the water, I twisted this knob from one stop to the other and can't really see where it does anything, I thought it was the slow idle knob or something, but maybe I'm wrong? the motor idles down so low, in gear at idle, it won't even move the boat, so now I'm curious as to what this knob does, it's the one located next to the choke, and it's an 89' 9.9 Evinrude electric start if that helps.

Attachments

• DSCF1195.JPG
    DSCF1195.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Knob could be one of two things. Idle Speed Adjustment knob, or more than likely sense you don't notice a difference when you adjust it, is the fuel mixture from lean to rich.

Mr.Stuart

Knob could be one of two things. Idle Speed Adjustment knob, or more than likely sense you don't notice a difference when you adjust it, is the fuel mixture from lean to rich.

I'll post that question over in the outboard forum and see what kind of answer I get, I couldn't tell where it did anything, and thought that maybe something was wrong with it? but the outboard runs so well, I find it hard to believe that anything could be wrong with it, so who knows? once I know what it does, it will probably all mke sense ...well, hopefully.

Mr.Stuart

you got the same motor I got but a few years older, does yours have that knob?

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 74 9.9 Evinrude has the idle adjustment on the side but no rich or lean adjustment. I did have a 6 HP Evinrude from the early eighties that had the rich to lean adjustment on the front like yours.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

slow speed adjustment see # 30 can't get frame to post, sorry/ shows on engine diagram BRP- evinrude.

Mr.Stuart

slow speed adjustment see # 30 can't get frame to post, sorry/ shows on engine diagram BRP- evinrude.

thanks for the info TD, it's a perfect day to be working on the boat, it's pretty much tee shirt weather here, but I got commandeered to put up Christmas lights, so I don't think I'm going to get anything done on the boat today, or at least until this evening, I might try to get the oven cleaner in it and take the boat to the car wash tonight to pressure wash it out.

Mr.Stuart

I was doing some more google searching to get ideas, I found the floor I want, I'll follow the pattern as seen in the picture, still looking for ideas, but it will start coming together.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info TD, it's a perfect day to be working on the boat, it's pretty much tee shirt weather here, but I got commandeered to put up Christmas lights, so I don't think I'm going to get anything done on the boat today, or at least until this evening, I might try to get the oven cleaner in it and take the boat to the car wash tonight to pressure wash it out.

Thats how my sunday was spent as well.Got up on the roof and blew out the gutters, put up the isicle lights on the house got a few honey do's done.No time for my boat project this sunday:(Cant wait to get that other side cleaned up of the glue and such.

Mr.Stuart

Thats how my sunday was spent as well.Got up on the roof and blew out the gutters, put up the isicle lights on the house got a few honey do's done.No time for my boat project this sunday:(Cant wait to get that other side cleaned up of the glue and such.

that's the way my days gone, no boat building for me today, but I am making a trip to home depot, going to look for some wood, get some ideas, I really want to stay away from plywood, but I'm going to price stuff out tonight.

what do you guys think about just leaving the inside aluminum as dubnveto suggested, I have thought about it but not sure how to leave it bare metal and still be able to seal it, I'm kind of thinking I have no choice but to paint it.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was mine i would paint it.Something easy on the eyes in the sun.It will look good for along time.After a few years give it a fresh coat or two.
Thats gonna be one of my next steps is the trip to Home Depot for some wood shopping.

Mr.Stuart

If it was mine i would paint it.Something easy on the eyes in the sun.It will look good for along time.After a few years give it a fresh coat or two.
Thats gonna be one of my next steps is the trip to Home Depot for some wood shopping.

I saw some non wood decking material at home depot, looks like red ceder, but it's some sort of plastic ...don't think I'd have to worry about that stuff ever rotting out. I saw a lot of options for material, so I'm still not sure which way I want to go, don't want to spend a fortune redoing it, more shopping is in store for me.

my brother suggested that I paint the inside safety orange ......he says I'll be easy to spot when I sink the boat ..he's got no faith in my project...

I'm sure I'll end up painting it, I'll probably remain undecided until I finally break down and go get the paint, but as for color, I had thought of a light gray, unless something else catches my attention, but I sure ain't going to go with the safety orange....although for safety reasons that might not be such a bad idea ...

Mr.Stuart

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I use an epoxy paint on my model airplanes because it's fuel proof, it's some pretty tough paint (at least on the planes) and I can get it pretty cheap through a local hobby shop that I used to work for(employee discount) what I can use for an etching primer thats going to go with the epoxy paint, I can get the primer though the hobby shop, I'm just not sure if it's the right stuff for an aluminum boat' the only draw back is that I can only get it in spray cans or quarts, I do have a compressor and a spray gun, so spraying it isn't a problem, but I'm not sure about the quantity, I don't think I can paint that boat with a quart of paint, maybe a half gallon? (2 quarts?)

before I go running up there and order what I want ...how well is epoxy paint going to work with the boat, and what do I want to use for primer? I need something that is coming to be compatible with the epoxy, I'm thinking that should make for one tough coating.

I'm starting to think that it might be dope instead of epoxy, dang, I need to go back to the hobby shop and check that stuff out

Mr.Stuart

it's Acrylic Lacquer by coverite 21 cetury paint. ....maybe it won't work, I can get it cheap enough though

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all 3 of these boats were painted with the 99cent spray paint, that was available at Home Depot, Walmart now carries it. the light cream on the black and cream boat is rustoleum, 1 large can $6.00. the deck and inside of the center console 99 cent light gray, $7.00. the red and with boat all 99cent, red & white exterior, light gray interior. total $13.00.

has held up really well, just lightly sanded and painted. and easy touch up if it does get a worn spot, or scratch.

the deck flooring home depot has is heavy, make you panels in removable sizes, because the first thing you are going to do is drop your favorite lure, between the slats. most old fishing boats had that, i remember droping all kinds of stuff, and having to wait to get home to retrive it.

Mr.Stuart

that deck flooring was heavy and expensive, at about $29 for a 10 foot which was about the smallest I saw, it can be cut down, but the stuff is molded with the grain molded into it, I don't think there's a way to cut it down and still have it looking good, plus, it to heavy.

I'm sure before this is over, I'll end up going with the cheap rattle can paint, I need to keep this project within budget.

the way I was planning on doing the floor, it wouldn't be removeable, so I may have to think that one out, I'll attach a picture of the flooring mounts in a minute.

Mr.Stuart

here's some close up pictures of the mounting brackets on the bottom of the boat.

the floor was long gone when I got the boat, I'm sure it rotted out years ago, so I have no idea how it was put together or attached to these brackets, my guess is that is was a piece of plywood that was screwed directly to the brackets.

the slat floor I want to put in it is going to require that I put slats under the brackets, and then screw the floor runners to the slats, and screw the slats to the bracket, (I hope this is making sense)

if you guys have a better idea, lay it on me, after paint, the floor is the first thing I'm going to have to put in it., before the rest of the woodwork.

Attachments

• DSCF1196.JPG
    DSCF1196.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1197.JPG
    DSCF1197.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 0

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stuart, I don't think painting the inside will be such a bad plan after all. I actually think it will look good once you install the wood floor. A bit of advice that you may already know, Purchase some Zinc-Chromate at GI-Joes, they usally have this instock. They also carry a self etching primer as well that is cheaper but when I bought it the spray can didn't work so I went with the Zinc. This primer will bond to the aluminum. After that you can go ahead and paint away. I bought some of the more expensive paint then the 99 cent kind but I'm sure that would work as well. Think of a color that would contrast the wood and use that. Good luck with the rest of your project. Your farther along then me on my Klamath. I ripped out the seats with the old wood and I'm working on sanding the paint off the inside to I have a clean surface to work with.