1996 150 EVINRUDE IGNITION KILLS

kpadkins

Recruit
I have a 96 150 evinrude ,it runs great but I am having intermittant problems with it shutting down completely at WOT . It will restart and run after it sits a couple of minutes , Ignition is dead , I thnk possibly CDI unit but would appreciate any input.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />KPA

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 150 EVINRUDE IGNITION KILLS

Howdy, KPA.<br /><br />That sure sounds like a heat related electronic failure.<br /><br />See what happens if you:<br /><br />Run her without the bonnet (cooler electronics).<br /><br />Apply heat to various parts of the ignition system with a hair dryer when she is at idle. If heating a part (probably the powerpack) causes her to die, Viola!<br /><br />Good luck. :)

kpadkins

Recruit
Re: 1996 150 EVINRUDE IGNITION KILLS

Thanks JB<br />I have replaced the cdi module , this seems to have cured my shutdown problem but in the process the coil for #1 cyl failed , I will replace tomorrow and hope for the best. I sure seem to be fighting electrical problems with this thing last year it was a shift switch, normal for these beasts?? 96 evinrude 150<br /><br />kpa