Project "1600 Capri Hard Top" has begun!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Project "1600 Capri Hard Top" has begun!

Well, the place you'll be seeing it the most is from the inside...that's where I'd focus the most of my energies ;)

For finishing the inside, I was going to roll on a coat of that textured paint that you glob on ceilings to hide water stains and cracks.... :D

Actually, I plan to cover the interior with a marine vinyl headliner that has a 1/4" foam backing. Hopefully it will absorb some of the sound of the outboard motor. One problem with hard tops is they tend to concentrate sounds so the outboard seems much louder than it really is. This foam backed vinyl is sold by Sail Rite.
media.nl

To help reduce noise, the motor cover will be lined with some of the auto sound deadener used by the boom boom stereo kids. That stuff is expensive!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Boy I am really stoked tonight! Today I got the roof mostly done. Now I'm at the point of walking around and marking little spots with pencil that need touch up, then the final 150/220 sanding and its ready for primer. Maybe Monday I can start a coat of primer and see how it looks.

I can keep sanding and filling for weeks, but there comes a time where I have to make the cutoff to paint in order to make the July deadline.

Time just flies when you are in that "zen" mode of just sanding and feeling, mark the high spot, sand, feel around, sand, feel around, etc. I get so focused on the work I missed lunch and didn't even notice.

I'm finally at a point where I can see the end is in sight. Woo Hoo! :D:D:D

Mark42! I'm not sure what method your useing to sand the exterior of the top, but useing a longboard for sanding with some black primer spritzed around on the top as a guide will save you time sanding as you will be able to see the highs and lows in the top better as the primer will highlight the low area's that will need filling.

max!

redfury

Commander

For finishing the inside, I was going to roll on a coat of that textured paint that you glob on ceilings to hide water stains and cracks.... :D

Actually, I plan to cover the interior with a marine vinyl headliner that has a 1/4" foam backing. Hopefully it will absorb some of the sound of the outboard motor. One problem with hard tops is they tend to concentrate sounds so the outboard seems much louder than it really is. This foam backed vinyl is sold by Sail Rite.
media.nl

To help reduce noise, the motor cover will be lined with some of the auto sound deadener used by the boom boom stereo kids. That stuff is expensive!

Yup, Dynamat is not cheap, but it does work! I'll probably do the same thing to whatever motor I get for the 'tron.

I've also decided to look into foam under the deck. Noise transmitted through the hull into the lake scares the fish, so if I can deaden the sound from the boat some, it'll help avoid that problem, particularly if I decide to go with a sprayed bedliner floor covering.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

can I come see this when your done?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mark42! I'm not sure what method your useing to sand the exterior of the top, but useing a longboard for sanding with some black primer spritzed around on the top as a guide will save you time sanding as you will be able to see the highs and lows in the top better as the primer will highlight the low area's that will need filling.

max!

Good idea. I've been using an 8" hard wood block, but I should really go to a 16" block with the paper glued on. The 8" block is great for the sides, and was working well for the top, but your right, the longer block works better.

wajajaja02, you sure can. I'll let you know when its ready!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mark whats the plan to enclose the back of the cap? Are you going to have a special made sunbella (with windows) enclosure?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mark whats the plan to enclose the back of the cap? Are you going to have a special made sunbella (with windows) enclosure?

Thats a good question. I was going to sew up an enclosure myself but I can't quite figure out how to make the connection between the fabric and the top water tight. The problem is if the cover snaps on the outside of the roof, wind driven rain can easily be pushed into the cabin. Same on the sides. I guess a raised lip or something will have to be added to the top. Or fasten the cover to the underside of the top, so water would have to go uphill to get in. Need some suggestions on that one.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would snap it inside the cap to prevent the wind and rain from sneaking in. How do you think snaps would hold in your cap?

Rickairmedic

Commander

I would snap it inside the cap to prevent the wind and rain from sneaking in. How do you think snaps would hold in your cap?

I would cut some aluminum sheet to fit the inside rear of the cap put the snaps on the aluminum and then glue the aluminum to the inside of the cap . Liquid nails should hold it on pretty well :D.

Rick

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Rickairmedic, thats a good idea. It would be less effort that laying down a strip of 1708 to make the area thicker.

Somewhere the enclosure has to make the transition from being snapped on to the inside/underside to the outside. Probably in the upper left and right corners of the back sides. Maybe a small "flap" of rubber/vinyl would be enough to keep rain out of the transition spot.

Wife wants there to be screens in it for air and to keep biting bugs out. Might be easier to make screens for the front and side windows that attach from the inside, than to make screens and plastic windows with zippers in the enclosure. The typical home window screen frame is available at most hardware stores, so it's not a big deal to make my own custom frame.

She was looking at the top yesterday and was feeling the sanded area and looking at the window frames. Then she asks "can you put a small fridge in there?" LOL! Then she went on about needing a place to plug in the cell phone charger and her CD player, etc. I'm going to need another battery!!! (thats why I picked up two stainless 12v power outlets) I think she is beginning to realize it might actually look nice and not be a big hunk of itchy fiberglass she can't get near. She wants to be able to pack dinner go anchor somewhere and just hang out while the sun sets. We did that before in the MFG and it was one of the best trips out on the water.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Thats a good question. I was going to sew up an enclosure myself but I can't quite figure out how to make the connection between the fabric and the top water tight. The problem is if the cover snaps on the outside of the roof, wind driven rain can easily be pushed into the cabin. Same on the sides. I guess a raised lip or something will have to be added to the top. Or fasten the cover to the underside of the top, so water would have to go uphill to get in. Need some suggestions on that one.

Try and talk with the guy's who make and install that type of curtain, they should be able to give you some idea's also.

max!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Today I got to a point where I decided to clean the top and apply a coat of primer. So I washed it down with plain water and the roof looked good with the water gloss showing a fairly smooth surface. Then I walked behind and realized the trailing edge of the roof and sides had not been sanded. DOH! So more sanding, more fairing.... Didn't get it finished tonight. But tomorrow I should get to put down a coat of primer, time permitting.

270WSM

Recruit

This is how far the window opens without sticking out the back. Not sure if it should be allowed to slide open more and stick out or not. Need to put a stopper somewhere, and its easier to screw one onto the top to keep the glass from sliding too far rear and falling out. But it would be nice to have the windows open more. Its open about a foot in the picture. Any suggestions here?

Just got caught up.

Could you put something towards the front edge of the glass (like the latch or handle) so that when slid back it would catch on the inside back part of the window frame. That way it should slide farther open and still catch without having to put a stopper on the back part of the glass limiting how much you can open it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

This is how far the window opens without sticking out the back. Not sure if it should be allowed to slide open more and stick out or not. Need to put a stopper somewhere, and its easier to screw one onto the top to keep the glass from sliding too far rear and falling out. But it would be nice to have the windows open more. Its open about a foot in the picture. Any suggestions here?

Just got caught up.

Could you put something towards the front edge of the glass (like the latch or handle) so that when slid back it would catch on the inside back part of the window frame. That way it should slide farther open and still catch without having to put a stopper on the back part of the glass limiting how much you can open it.

Yes, I think that suggestion is going to work. I dropped the glass templates at the shop today and asked for a hole to be drilled up front for a knob. The knob will be in a rubber grommet, and it should stop the glass from sliding too far rear. Getting a price on tempered glass, as I think that's the best route to go considering the use it will get and strength of tempered compared to laminated. The shop said two to three weeks to get the glass back.

This after noon, the primer went on. I just couldn't stand sanding any longer. :D Used Interlux Pre Coat urethane primer. It has micro spheres in it to help fill minor voids. When dry, it needs a 220 sanding then the color coat can go on. I did notice a few spots that will need touch up with spot putty, so I'll let it dry for a day then do the putty, touch up the primer, and then paint.

8857.jpg

8859.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Yes!

And icing the cake begins!

Killer bro-

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, its really nice to get past staring at a multi colored top! It was getting to the point where it was hard to see the bad spots due to the different colors of filler. But what was really cool was when the primer was all wet and glossy, I could get an idea of what the finish coats would look like. Its a lot better than I thought it would look. A few small touch ups, and its good to color coat.

I even took the disk sander to the interior and cleaned up some rough areas, glass fibers sticking out, etc. I might just do a simple fairing job on the inside and paint it for a quick finish. I can always upholster with the foam backed vinyl after July.

And I'm waiting for the price quote on the windows. Hope its not too much!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

looks great mark...!

ill have more time to catch up on this tonight after i get home from the boat.

when is paint?

cheers
oops

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Oops!

But I have run into a couple of problems.

First, I painted the window frame with a brush while watching the kids and forgot to sand the primer. After it dried, it looks like latex house paint put on with a roller. Then I sanded an area next to the window and did a paint test. Better, but I need to sand better to get rid of the bumpy surface. Where I did sand well, it came out nice and smoooooth! Now the window frames and the whole top need sanding. Got out the small orbital sander. Seems to be working well, but the color coat will need a few days to harden before it will sand well. I think paint will be next weekend.

Second issue is the color match. The Hatteras Off White is a bit more creamy than I had hoped for. You can see yourself how much color variation there is between that hole core (from the splash well) and the actual paint.

8860.jpg

Then, while sanding the primer down, the glass shop called. The windows are expensive. About $600 for the set of 4 windows in light grey tinted tempered glass 1/4" thick. Ouch! So I told them to go for it.

Now I'm really determined to get a nice finish on this top, especially after spending $600 for windows. This thing better look good!

woosterken

Lieutenant

Mark,how much will the new paint fade when left in the sun for a while?

woosterken

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mark,how much will the new paint fade when left in the sun for a while?

woosterken

Ken, I really don't know, but you are right, it probably will fade a bit over time. Interlux is a good brand, so my guess is it will take a while. :)