WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneReefer

Recruit
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Trust me, they're laughing at you.

NO. I don't think MOST people are laughing at me. Of course there is always the type person who gets great joy out of denigrating others, but MOST people are not that way.

Fishing and Boating are noble and honorable activities. When a good man needs to get on the water, he needs to get on the water. The tools he employs are not relevant.

Think about it. When I see somebody broke down on the side of the road, I drive by...doesn't everybody? But when you are out on your boat, or hoppiing on rocks with a fishing rod, most everybody you meet is your friend...and wishes you luck.

The water and fishing bring out the best in people.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

NO. I don't think MOST people are laughing at me. Of course there is always the type person who gets great joy out of denigrating others, but MOST people are not that way.

Fishing and Boating are noble and honorable activities. When a good man needs to get on the water, he needs to get on the water. The tools he employs are not relevant.

Think about it. When I see somebody broke down on the side of the road, I drive by...doesn't everybody? But when you are out on your boat, or hoppiing on rocks with a fishing rod, most everybody you meet is your friend...and wishes you luck.

The water and fishing bring out the best in people.

Ummm... Where have you been boating? I've missed the 'bringing out the best in people' part. While I would like to think that it does, it just is not the case. Seems like at the lake, everyone is concerned about themselves, and themselves only. You ever been passed by a 250 HP bass buster at mach 1 while you're fishing near shore? I don't consider that to be the 'best in people.'

I hate to say it, while I would be more than happy to dent your hood with my fat ***** and help you out... as soon as you left, I'm afraid I'd have a chuckle or two.

I may not even wait for you to leave. Especially with the tire smoke....... :redface: Sorry!!!!

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

The lake brings out the best in good people. I go there to relax and be respectful of others so I can enjoy my time on the water and not have to deal with their drama.

Allthough, if you are fishing in the middle of the channel... sorry about my wake... but really.. you are in the way... find a Cove or get closer to the bank.

THough, the water also tens to bring out the worse in selfish and gernally inconsiderate folks.

patpatrickc

Cadet

i pulled my toon 25 miles to the lake we go to every weekend with my crew cab s10 last year....the toon is 24' and weighs 3100lbs my truck is rated at 5500lbs never had a prob getting there, in, out, or home...maybe they laugh were you are but here we all wave when we pass each other must be the salt in your water...but then again i am from southern il. ........can you feel itch....its about that time

In 2003 my dad picked up this '76 f150 Ranger XLT (2-wheel drive) with 78,000 miles for $3000. We refinished our basement that year and were in need of something to haul significant amounts of firewood for our new woodstove plus my 12 foot rowboat, and the drag/ski boat when it's finished.

It's perfect for towing (and laying rubber ;) ) It's got a 460 (365 horsepower, 480 ft-lbs torque), C-6 trans with a factory trans cooler, 9" rearend with 3.00 gears, and it was from Arizona so it's rust free (but the dash pad and weatherstripping is all cooked crispy). Only components that aren't stock are the Eagle Alloy rims, which we picked up for $50 alltogether (best buy of the year), the Goodyear tires (slightly larger in the rear for a little rake action), a Sunpro tach I dug out of the attic, and dual flowmaster exhaust (right side exit, side-by-side muffler configuration) which rumbles pretty nicely. It needs some interior work and paint, but other than that, she's pretty solid :D

S3000091.jpg

Last edited:

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Well, after reading this... I guess I'm going to have to invest in something a bit more appropriate. Right now I am using a station wagon - 93 Chevy Caprice classic w/350 (er... 5.7).

Been lucky so far. Probably won't last.

If it goes under before I manage to get another tow vehicle, I'll be sure to post the pictures.

Well... My wife is insisting that the wagon has no business towing the boat. She let it slide last year, but now she is pushing towards getting a pickup. Looks like there's not gonna be any pictures.

I guess she gets embarassed when I back down the ramp - must be because of the exhaust going blub blub blub, and the bottom of the rear bumper in the water.

I told her I'd get some extra pipe and make a snorkel for the exhaust... didn't go over too well. Based on the reception I got for that idea I didn't feel it was appropriate to suggest raising the car...

-V

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We started getting serious about boats last summer and quickly realized that the towing capacity of my 04 Colorado Z71 (4000lbs?!?!) was limiting our selection. We're looking at 19 - 20 foot bowriders weighing 3200 - 3800 lbs so I shouldn't have any trouble towing with my new truck. It's a 2WD so it isn't perfect, but with the 5.3 and the 3.73 rear end it is rated for 7200 lbs.

http://www.timbob.com/stuff/Avalanche/AvalancheCropped.jpg

The old truck was white and it was going to be much easier to find a color matched boat. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado6x6

Cadet

I am just starting to shop around for a boat, however the boats I am looking at are all down in Florida and I live in Alaska, my truck is a 2002 Silverado 4wd(6 wheels technically) dually with tow haul, plow package, HD alt, front/rear disc brakes, and its got what you can't get anymore unless its in a larger vehicle the 8.1 Vortec gas motor that in stock form is 340hp and really good torque, not as much as the diesel but impressive. Sure its a gas guzzler but I love it, problem is I plan on wintering in Florida at least 4 months a year, I have found several warehouses just big enough to store a sizable 30' or larger boat in for a restoration project and still be safe and secure that I can walk away for 8 months and leave it all locked up. So I plan on finding a large heavy truck like a deuce and a half to use as a tow vehicle, now I drive concrete mixers in Alaska and basically weight in your working vehicle usually translate into stability and traction and I drive these 65,000lb trucks on ice but if I'm going to transport something like a 30-37' boat on a regular boat trailer I'm going to have a real truck even if its a Peterbilt tractor with 3 tons of concrete over the drivers.

I'm not going to drive there as thats too far to drive so since I'm a diesel mechanic my options are to find a commercial vehicle of at least two tons, try to get tandem axles with interaxle lockup or true lockers and have a wheel base long enough for directional stability, most people have a short wheelbase SUV towing a long long trailer, an extended cab PU or crewcab is better.

trayscool

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2002 Tundra V6 I tow my 19' maxum with no problem. I put a class 3 hitch and a trans cooler and it pulls fine

reelfishin

Captain

Most of the places where I launch it's saltwater and pretty slick and shallow. I try to use the cheapest tow vehicle I can find since they tend to rust away in a few seasons anyhow. Ever have a quarter panel rust off at about 70 mph and slide down the road?
The best one was an old Dodge that I gave $150 for, it was a '79 with a 318 engine that needed a trans seal, the bed was decent when I got it but after a few rounds with saltwater it's days were numbered, the right quarter panel fell off heading down the highway one day and after a few years I had to bolt one door shut after the latch area rusted away. We had cut away a hole in the hood so we didn't have to fight with the rusty hinges to add oil and brake fluid, so it looked a bit rough.
The worst part was the roof rust, there was a 2" band all around the top that had rusted out, when it rained you needed goggles to see. When we first used it to launch a boat it spun and slid all over, the next time out we made sure we welded the rear spider gears solid, after that it did just fine, never spun a tire again. I had a set of Hercules All Terrains in the back and stock tires up front, the added height in the rear helped level the trailer which was hitched to a homemade rear bumper/hitch. If it needed some more height, we just pumped up the rear air shocks and air bag helpers.
After the bed fell off we just made a makeshift bed out of 4x4's and plywood, it actually made launching easier since one guy could stand on the rear deck and jump in as it floated. The boat back then was an old Renken 23' fishing boat. The home made flat bed also worked better for hauling bait and such, it was easier to load and didn't get slippery when it got wet or covered with bait. The rear window went away in the last season we used it, someone left a sinker on a rod which was leaning against the back window and on a hard bump, the glass was gone. While it let water in, it didn't matter much with the rusted out roof. It also ended any chance of getting locked out of the truck since we never did have the right door keys. The ignition switch was a doorbell button and the key was only there to unlock the steering.
I finally sold it after the frame started to rust, some farmer is probably still running that truck. It ran like a champ, but looked a bit rough. The worst part I ever thought about that truck was that the drivers back of the seat was broken, you had to prop a milk crate up behind the seat so you could lean back.
It got a lot of strange looks but it never got stolen, never got broken into, and never failed us. Best of all I never worried about it, if something ever happened to it, the most I ever would have been out was the value of the tank of gas, which back then was about $20. The best part was when someone new decided to go along with us, the ride down in that old truck used to really shake up some people, especially when the heard the brakes sliding at every stop or saw me using the parking brake to get the rear brakes to work a little better. All in all we had that truck the longest, I had replaced it with an older 4x4 that never had the power like that one did and being a regular cab, there was no room inside for any gear. That one only lasted about a season before I got tired of trying to keep it running.

Hanr3

Seaman

So much eaiesr to sit here and ridicule people then it would be to get out and actually help them and educate them, eh? :rolleyes:

How hard is it to drop the trailer, and pull out the tow strap? ;)

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Whats the tow rating of my truck??? 1988 Chevrolet Scottsdale C1500 Long Wheel Base/Short Cab 2WD. 5.0 Liter 305 V8 with TBI. I have AT Tires too.

Think im good with that pulling this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=258058?

You got nothing to worry about, Pal. You shouldn't have any issues towing around 5k, probably more like 7k. My old 83 chev 1/2t pulled my 7k construction trailer just fine.... it had a 305 too.... for awhile. Now it sports a 350 (actually in 2002 it was installed). It's surprising how much more power it has to it than the original 305 -- and better mileage too.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Why don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

... because they don't sell them on this continent.

The closest thing to a good tow vehicle you will find here (Germany) is a Unimod from Mecedes, and they start at about $80,000 a pop (naked). :mad:

Mecedes_Benz_Unimog_U1300l_Custom_Automobile.jpg

This is the common method here.

enclosure.ee94005

If it was up to me, I would prefer one of these!

112_2006_sema_299x+2007_ford_f650_by_DeBerti_Designs+side_view.jpg

But reality looks more like this.

MaidenVoyage+002.JPG

It may be small, but it is one of the only boats still registered to an American in Germany, and it is mine! :D

reelfishin

Captain

That picture of the Smart pulling that camper reminds me of a customer back in the 80's that drove a new Renault Encore. He kept coming back with the transmission destroyed and was screaming lemon law. We rebuilt the trans 4 times, then replaced it two more, then I passed him one day on the highway that heads towards the shore. He had a 26' cabin boat hitched to it with the trailer axles set way forward. He was moving along, swaying all over the road with the engine screaming away in a lower gear. The boat had to weigh in the 6,000lb range. Like so many times before, he showed up with the car on wrecker that Monday morning screaming again that the trans had failed. It was my word against his and without proof, they gave him a new trans again. It bothered me so much that I followed him the next time and took pics of him launching that boat. I couldn't believe that someone would actually attempt it. The worst part is that the car had one of those bracket type hitches, the type that are good for about 800 lbs max or so. We had noticed the trailer hitch on it long before but since it was so light duty, we never figured anyone would hook something like that to it. The worst part is that the mechanic, who gets paid flat rate, got charged back for each repair as if he had done something wrong each time. It also goes to show what you can get away with on the highway. It had working lights so I guess he never got stopped. The car was well kept other than that, it always was super clean when it came in. AMC finally put an end to it and sent him on his way. He tried a lemon law case but the pics of him launching that boat settled that real fast. It wasn't too long after that we heard that the same driver met his demise after crossing the center line, we never heard whether the boat was attached or not.

I've used smaller vehicles to tow with, and a lot of it has to do with just plain common sense. If you can mount a proper hitch and the vehicle has the power to get the load moving and to stop the load, then I don't see a problem. Its those that are out there with bumper hitches and a front drive subcompact that think they are safe and have no idea what happens when they get in a panic situation.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

School holidays started yesterday in Germany and this example, while extreme, is being repeated all over the country. They line the right lane of the Autobahns snaking back and forth all over the road.

About every hundred miles you will see one “jackknifed”, or on the side of the road looking like a tornado hit it. When Holland goes on vacation it just gets worse. :eek:

When stopped by the Police they scream their rights are being violated, with claims of hundreds of years of professional experience trailering whatever. When weighed, it is not uncommon for the trailers/campers to be overloaded by a factor of 3, and the towing capacity of the vehicle at 5 to 10 times that which is allowed. There are so many violators on the road this time of the year that the Police can't hope but to get maybe 1 in 100.

Many of these people are headed over the Alps, where over heated brakes will add another dimension to this nightmare. They are not just heading to the local lakes, they are trying to cross all of Europe loaded down like this.

When the topic of proper towing vehicles is mentioned, the topic quickly changes to “saving the world” with their environmentally friendly cars. No matter what you say, they have all the answers, and there is only one way, their way.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Way old thread...just surfed in to add my two cents worth....JB states X-5 is capable. Problem is those low profile speed rated tires don't compare to the knobbys on Kyles Bronco:D

cribber

Lieutenant

I think that about does it...
I trailer my Glastron GT185 with a 2004 Pacifica. Full of fuel and including the Aluminum EZloader we're pulling about 3000lbs which is right at the 85% rule I read earlier. Luckily where we launch in Lake Harris, my rear wheels are no where close to the water and have never spun my tires on a wet ramp.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

hahaha yeah i hooked up my buddys enduro race car (on the trailer) to my truck, was hauling it for him, and raced some punk in a honda civic from a stoplight and smoked him! I tell ya man, once you pull anything with a truck and engine that big, you dont want to go back!

whos safer the punk in the honda civic or the jackass who races him while towing a load? while some situations are unsafe i think most of this is a pissing contest..an x5 can easily tow a 4500lb boat.. the guy probably just was clueless..i tend to laugh at the guy with the f350 towing the 12' skiff...before you call me a yuppie x5 driver.. i own a 99 jeep grand cherokee v8 4x4 with selectable ox lockers..nothing crazy but it gets the job done..

Status
Not open for further replies.