WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Everybody thinks it's their "Right" to tow whatever dangerous load they want. I have a real problem with you idiots who choose to endanger my life, and the lives of my family, by doing something unsafe because you think you should be able to.

There's a reason there are tow ratings, and you're likely to hurt other people than just yourself. If you can't afford a proper tow vehicle, you can't afford to boat. End of story

I get almost giddy every time I see one of you idiots pulled over, getting a nice fat ticket.

I've called a few of you in to Hi-Po as well. :D Don't hate me, it's my "right" after all. :cool:

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And here I thought people would be looking at me funny for putting a $175 hooptie boat in the bed of my $28k truck . . . or for putting that same boat on a $2k pop-up behind the same truck . . .

BenM

Recruit

People drive what they can afford while some others live beyond their means and some live off of others means.
Some like to show off.
And some just don?t have the brains God gave goldfish!
That?s why this is the Stupid Human Tricks While Boating forum!
And still others are not as fortunate as you to drive a nice big rig!
Personally, I?d rather use a small vehicle and conserve as much gasoline
as I can for my toys!

BenM

Recruit

I forgot to add...I have seen motorcycles in The P.I towing trailors with boats on 'em!
And I wish I had my camera back then!
Seen it in Thailand also.

reelfishin

Captain

People drive what they can afford while some others live beyond their means and some live off of others means.
Some like to show off.
And some just don?t have the brains God gave goldfish!
That?s why this is the Stupid Human Tricks While Boating forum!
And still others are not as fortunate as you to drive a nice big rig!
Personally, I?d rather use a small vehicle and conserve as much gasoline
as I can for my toys!

Well said!
The more fuel I save towing, the more I can put in the boat.
I've downsized my boats and truck over the last few years.
I started that trend when gas hit $1.65. I went from a 31' and a 24' to an 18' and a 16' boat with even one oars only powered boat that I don't even have to register here. Totally free way of getting out on the lakes. You would be surprised how well a good V hull will move with the right set of oars and oar locks.

reelfishin

Captain

I forgot to add...I have seen motorcycles in The P.I towing trailors with boats on 'em!
And I wish I had my camera back then!
Seen it in Thailand also.

I just saw a motorcycle pulling one of those old tear drop shaped campers down US 40, heading towards the shore. He was moving right along and seemed to have no problems stopping it or taking off. He had Arizona tags, so I took it he had come quite a distance like that. The bike was a larger Yamaha cruiser.

I don't think I'd want to try launching a boat with a bike though, a wet, slick ramp could get interesting.

reelfishin

Captain

I watched a guy today try to launch a good sized boat today with what amounted to a large garden tractor. It didn't work very well. He obviously pulled it to the ramp from nearby, and had no problem getting it to the ramp, but the minute the boat was over the crest of the ramp, it dragged the tractor right down the ramp with all four tractor wheels spinning forward. The ramp was algae covered and even slick to walk on. The tractor stopped when the boat hit the water, but a few more feet and it would have been sunk. Once the boat was off, he had no problem climbing back up the ramp. The boat was a larger cuddy cabin, probably about 6,000 lbs or so. It hit the water hard enough to make a loud splash. What got my attention was the sound of the tractor engine screaming trying to stop the decent. I think the boat hitting the water is what stopped the slide.

I've had vehicles slide on ramps, it's not a good feeling but they have always stopped once the boat hit the water. Even my 12' open row boat has dragged my 4000 lb truck down the ramp a few times. It's not always the weight, it's the total lack of traction on a slick ramp. An algae covered ramp is like a sheet of ice. Most of the ramps here are slick, especially at low tide. Many are super short and have nasty drop offs at the end.

I helped a guy that got stuck with both wheels off the ramp a few years ago, two trucks were trying to pull him and the trailer back onto the paved ramp.
We took two tractor tire tubes and strapped them to the back of the trailer and inflated them, the trailer floated right up and he was able to pull it right out.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sounds like a yard tractor for the campsite or marina, where were you so I dont show up at that ramp. sound rough

reelfishin

Captain

It was a public ramp, I took it that the tractor was just a local too lazy to hitch up the truck, that was his truck.

I've seen tractors launch boats but not one that big, or a tractor that small.
I use a garden tractor to move my trailers and boats around the yard, it saves the grass and they can get in tighter spots, but I'd never attempt any sort of incline with a large boat.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

This afternoon I have witnessed a mid 90s Dodge Neon pulling out an old 18' Bayliner. The guy had to rev up the motor in neutral on that poor 4-banger and then drop it drive to nudge the boat + trailer out foot-by-foot, the crowd of onlooker started to gather before he cleared the ramp. I really do not understand why in the world would someone use subcompact cars as tow vehicle.

That waterlogged boat and trailer clearly weighted more than his car, it's plain out crazy. I guess that is a classic example of ghetto boater, you know the guy that uses cinder block for an anchor and cloth lines for rigging.

reelfishin

Captain

This afternoon I have witnessed a mid 90s Dodge Neon pulling out an old 18' Bayliner. The guy had to rev up the motor in neutral on that poor 4-banger and then drop it drive to nudge the boat + trailer out foot-by-foot, the crowd of onlooker started to gather before he cleared the ramp. I really do not understand why in the world would someone use subcompact cars as tow vehicle.

That waterlogged boat and trailer clearly weighted more than his car, it's plain out crazy. I guess that is a classic example of ghetto boater, you know the guy that uses cinder block for an anchor and cloth lines for rigging.

I must be in that category then, I used a Pinto for years to launch my bass boat, it was the only car I owned that didn't matter how many brush scratches it got getting back to the boat ramp. I also use a pair of old sash window weights for an anchor. (An old car rotor works well too if you don't care to loose expensive anchors).
That old car did better than my truck does now. It was the best money I ever spent too, $100 for the car, and $250 for the boat, and I didn't have to worry about it being there when I got back. I even wired it for lights after I had it for a while. I was always a bit concerned with the cheesy chrome hitch that basically only bolted to the license plate bracket on that car, but after a few years, I came to trust it. I was shocked at how much weight that car would pull, and how well that bolt on hitch held up. I'd have figure that sooner or later either the 5/16" bolts or the bumper shocks would have failed. I put over 400k on that car like that.

I sold the boat eventually but kept the car for years, I even used it a few times to launch a few larger boats. It was great on gas, did fine towing and never let me down. It didn't even spin the wheels on the ramp so long as I kept the truck filled with extra weight. It did puke up a few rear differentials over the years, but they were dime a dozen at the bone yard. A few cement blocks did the trick for traction. The only drawback was that it sat so low, the drivers seat would stay wet for days if you backed in too far.

Fishstew

Cadet

It's not always the cost of the tow buying a tow vehicle. It's the insurance, maintenance and storage when not being used. I crunched those numbers. If a bought the tow vehicle it would cost me about $2000 a year for insurance and maintenance. I have owned 5 SUV's over the years but times have changed. I live by myself and drive over 30,000 a year with my car. I tow with it but fully understand the limitation. I understand that I am very limited to good ramps and accesses. I hope this answer your question.

Keep a open mind. That will answer these questions quickly for you.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think proper vehicle prep is more important. I used to tow with a jeep wrangler 2000lbs the jeep 4.0 pulled hard the fast but stopping was scary. My new to me 2000 nissan frontier crew cab first thing i did was go though the entire vehcile. New hitch,wiring,axle oil,new bfg all terrains,new shocks to control the boat. Ive seen older full size pickups used with bald tires,shot shocks poor maintance, id take my rig over them any day. OMG pinto and neon for towing duty lol they cant stop themselves let alone a load. At least the jeep has solid frame,solid front and rear axle,4.0liter v8 eater. Anyone that tows ont he interstate with neon is a serious idot and must be pulled off the road.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

ITs really a question of safety for me. When I see a Pinto pulling anything... its not safe. The brakes are not good enough to stop that car plus a boat. I ditched my Bronco as a Tow vehicle, even though ti was totally acceptable, because I was worried about the unexpected. The things you can't plan for. Deer jumping out in front of you, bad drivers, horrible ramp conditions, etc.

Proper is not if it can pull it. It means if it can pull, stop, steer, launch and retrieve safely, and not just for you, for the others sharing the roads with you.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So anyone think the this Honduh element is the right tow vehikal fer dis boat.....LOL

ATT00018-2.jpg

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

So anyone think the this Honda Element is the right tow vehicle for this boat.....LOL

Yes, it is adequate, due to the mounting of the kicker motor at the rear which effectively lowers the tongue weight to an acceptable level.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it is adequate, due to the mounting of the kicker motor at the rear which effectively lowers the tongue weight to an acceptable level.

Got to remeber that trick.

I got to pass that setup twice as I stopped at a rest area for a little bit. He was travaling at around 50 mph on the interstate fighting to keep it in his lane. Doubt he could see much behind him as the boat was quite abit wider then the car. Didn't look like fun, but the back of the boat said "Happy daze" so who knows....

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

geesh...boating forums...didnt realize how narrow minded people are.

yama_acura_sig.gif

Looks disproportionate, eh? But it tows, launches and retrieves like a dream. Sometimes technology (SH-AWD) > than brawn

Status
Not open for further replies.