Did you forget the plug?

edjunior

Seaman
Re: Did you forget the plug?

Well, I didn't "forget" mine, but neither did I check it. I have two, the brass screw plug for under the deck (the bilge), and the regular plug. The regular plug was in, and when I gave the boat to my mechanic to tune up the motor, the brass screw plug was in. I didn't find out until I returned from our little voyage (that gratefully didn't last long because of the weather), that the mechanic for some reason removed the brass plug. I didn't bother checking it, since I "knew" it was in when I gave it to him. My lesson learned is to check, no matter what!

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plug? How about this!............At the ramp waiting for my buddy to arrive with his boat for a day of fishing. See this guy on the dock, holding the rope to this newly launched boat, (25' by the way). Next thing I see the stern kinda low in the water. The captain returns to see the bilge running and races for his truck and trailer. Out comes the boat and sure enough there is water running out at the stern. Only thing is, is the plug is in! Come to find out a buddy of the captain had an altercation the day before and the guy went to his house at night, knowing he was going fishing the next day and drilled a two inch hole in the bottom!! Ouch! Someone was goin to get an ***** woopin!!

Did you put the plug in? "Dont't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up"

terry2626

Seaman

Just like everyone else i have for got the plug. But at least when i did it i was around 12 -14 years old. Dad had backed the boat down the ramp (1963 Razorback ski boat) and being the big boy that i thought that i was. I said i will get the boat in the water while he parked the truck. Well everything was going great, i got the boat in the water and over to the waiting dock had it tied up and was putting things in the boat to get ready to leave and when i steped into the boat i noticed that the water was up around my ankles. That was when i remember that in my big hurry to impress dad i forgot to put the drain plug in. So i grabed the plug and put it in. and just stood there in ankle deep water waiting for dad to come back down and all hell to break loose. But as he started to get near and with all the other people that was standing around. i yelled out hey dad you forgot to put the plug in, but don't worry i took care of it for you. Well to make a long story shorter i have never since that day to put the drain plug in the boat before i put the boat in the water.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This thread is for pure entertainment and it is kinda cool to realize you are not the only one to try to turn your pride and joy into the titanic .... I did this as well... I bought my first boat last June , Not running , after 3 weeks of learning how the eletrical system works I finally came to the conclusion the boat had been swamped and the entire engine eletrical system on the motor was fried. This is on a 1994 JetSport merc engine by Force. Kinda hard to find parts at a reasonable price. So while I was shopping for parts online I got a notice from the town that I had 3 days to move the boat due to town regulations of parking a boat in front of a residence. I live in a townhouse on a canal ..No problem .. the Marina is 1/4 mile away by water .. put her in and row to my dock huh ?? Well I put in and parked the trailer .. nice day 4 other people waiting to launch . I began rowing my little 14 foot boat and got about 100 yards from the launch and realized I was standing in water. Well if you have ever seen Gilligans Island when Gilligan can run on water .. I looked like that rowing back. Got her back and tied off ,2 guys still waiting to launch , I told them , new boat taking on water , One helped and the second just laughed , We got it out and I found the place in the bilge bay where the plug was missing . Ok easy fix , the guy who laughed said " nice move" as he was parking his trailer while water was still pouring out of my boat ... As he walked away he made another comment and I was going to go confront him until I saw just the tip of the bow of his Jet Ski he had just put in being the only thing above water ... I just left .

PS .. MANY thanks to the people launching the Grady White who did help me :)

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

This thread is for pure entertainment and it is kinda cool to realize you are not the only one to try to turn your pride and joy into the titanic .... I did this as well... I bought my first boat last June , Not running , after 3 weeks of learning how the eletrical system works I finally came to the conclusion the boat had been swamped and the entire engine eletrical system on the motor was fried. This is on a 1994 JetSport merc engine by Force. Kinda hard to find parts at a reasonable price. So while I was shopping for parts online I got a notice from the town that I had 3 days to move the boat due to town regulations of parking a boat in front of a residence. I live in a townhouse on a canal ..No problem .. the Marina is 1/4 mile away by water .. put her in and row to my dock huh ?? Well I put in and parked the trailer .. nice day 4 other people waiting to launch . I began rowing my little 14 foot boat and got about 100 yards from the launch and realized I was standing in water. Well if you have ever seen Gilligans Island when Gilligan can run on water .. I looked like that rowing back. Got her back and tied off ,2 guys still waiting to launch , I told them , new boat taking on water , One helped and the second just laughed , We got it out and I found the place in the bilge bay where the plug was missing . Ok easy fix , the guy who laughed said " nice move" as he was parking his trailer while water was still pouring out of my boat ... As he walked away he made another comment and I was going to go confront him until I saw just the tip of the bow of his Jet Ski he had just put in being the only thing above water ... I just left .

PS .. MANY thanks to the people launching the Grady White who did help me :)

LMAO. Epic. Karma will getcha every time.... :D

cribber

Lieutenant

Ya just gotta love karma in action!!!:D:D:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

another reason to have a float switch on a bilge pump. And if you own a boat that has no bilge pump at all, you shouldn't be owning a boat.

FYI a bilge pump can run all night and keep up with the water coming in from an unplugged hole.

I guess the reason to bump a 2 year old thread on this topic is that everyone who learned from it then is now due to forget and screw up.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Haven't forgotten the plug once since I made this.

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_3265-1.jpg

skargo

Banned

My plug is tethered to my outdrive, it hangs right in front of the hole.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

another reason to have a float switch on a bilge pump. And if you own a boat that has no bilge pump at all, you shouldn't be owning a boat.

FYI a bilge pump can run all night and keep up with the water coming in from an unplugged hole.

I guess the reason to bump a 2 year old thread on this topic is that everyone who learned from it then is now due to forget and screw up.

Kinda Harsh response for the subject at hand... Gotta Ask do you own a Jet Ski ?? :D

If you had read my post you would have hopefully understood that the entire eletrical system was fried including the bilge pump and switch , But I am glad to hear from you , Thought THE GREAT WHITE WHALE died at the end of the movie .. Well wrong again .. shame on me !

soggy_feet

Haven't forgotten the plug once since I made this.

IMG_4472.jpg

A bottle opener?

I just wear one. Bottle opener on the back of my belt buckle. Of course, I usually DONT remember things after I use it, so good luck with yours! ;)

jeffnick

A bottle opener?

I just wear one. Bottle opener on the back of my belt buckle. Of course, I usually DONT remember things after I use it, so good luck with yours! ;)

It's a drain plug wrench that is also a deck plate key, shackle key and bottle opener. You guys who use a rubber drain plug wouldn't recognize the square end used for brass drain plugs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

wasn't directed to you, Ken, nor to boats that don't have bilges and can be bailed. No jet ski, but I share your schadenfreude about the jerk whose jetski sank. And I've had fried electrical and dead batteries; I carry a hand pump that I can stick down into a bilge when the electrical system fails and I have had to use it. I've paddled many a leaking boat ( the worst? old frame kayak leaking all around my butt in January out inthe marsh duck hunting.) I'm on your team here! Sorry if it came across otherwise; let's go have a beer.

soggy_feet

It's a drain plug wrench that is also a deck plate key, shackle key and bottle opener. You guys who use a rubber drain plug wouldn't recognize the square end used for brass drain plugs.

Ahh I see it now. Eye was just drawn to what I use the most, the bottle opener.

I do have a brass drain plug in my boat, but it goes in when its launched in the spring, and comes out when the boat is pulled in the fall, and its on the underside, not on the transom, so def out of sight out of mind.

Deck plate key I should have recognized, but that shot just makes it blend in a bit.

All in all, nice tool. I might have to make one for myself. Maybe there's some scrap titanium kicking around here somewhere....

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wasn't directed to you, Ken, nor to boats that don't have bilges and can be bailed. No jet ski, but I share your schadenfreude about the jerk whose jetski sank. And I've had fried electrical and dead batteries; I carry a hand pump that I can stick down into a bilge when the electrical system fails and I have had to use it. I've paddled many a leaking boat ( the worst? old frame kayak leaking all around my butt in January out inthe marsh duck hunting.) I'm on your team here! Sorry if it came across otherwise; let's go have a beer.

Cookin' , I owe you an apology , I did over react to your post , Was just looking to share a fun poetic justice story here ... If we are gonna have a beer it is on me .. I get up to Fox Paintball in VA beach for at least one tournament a year and next year I will PM you so I can buy you one !:)