help with evinrude 5.5 fisherman

PITBULL

Recruit
my dady got it from a docter about 8 years ago, it came with one of my flat bottom's. can yall anser some questions.

what year is it here's the serial number 5514-12657 ?
i need the hole gas tank set up, what do i need to get?
it has a fuel and air line it has a cunecter with three stick thangs on it that say on the left side fuel and on the right air, the top one dont say noting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with evinrude 5.5 fisherman

If you can get it a a reasonable price, grab it. The fuel connector alone is worth big bucks.

PITBULL

Recruit

can it be converted to a new tipe of tank

wbeaton

Commander

Yes, but the old pressure tank system works well and you'll get to keep your motor original.

PITBULL

Recruit

what would i need to convert it?
where can i get what i need?
how much would it cost?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the fuel connector new is $80. that's an excellant price.

wbeaton

Commander

I don't know how much it will cost.

You need a fuel pump conversion kit, a single line tank and a single fuel line with a primer bulb. All this will be greater in cost than just buying a used pressure tank even if you have to spring for $20 for new double fuel line.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 5.5 cannot be converted using factory parts. Some people have Mickey Moused them. I reccommend the pressure tank for those 5.5hp motors. Larger motors, that's a different story.

PITBULL

Recruit

that pressure tank is up to $ 32.00 know

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

That tank will be close to a hundred bucks with it being rebuilt, PLUS the female conector...still 5 days left on the auction!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You're looking at around $100 for a dual line tank, rebuilt and ready to plug in, OR about $100+ for a new fuel pump, gas tank, single line fuel fitting, hose with primer bulb, plus whatever work incurred while converting. Also, factor in that the motor will likely be worth less cobbled up than it would be in original shape.

If you poke around a bit, you'll likely find someone in your area who has a few tanks kicking around, and would be willing to sell for a lot less than eBay prices - plus you can actually see the tank and assess it yourself. Ask your local marina where they send their junkers & clunkers. If they keep them on their own property, try bringing a box of doughnuts in some morning around 10:00 coffee break and ask to take a peek at their graveyard. OMC made MILLIONS of these tanks back in the day - they are out there! Rebuld kits turn up on eBay all the time, and are also available online through several places.

Good luck!

- Scott

wbeaton

Commander

Pitbull,

You don't have to buy that particular tank. I just posted it to show you what you needed. Check your local bargain papers or even the classifieds at the Antique Outboard Motor Club http://www.aomci.org/. Those tanks aren't hard to come by. I see original working pressure tanks quite often for around $50 CDN. So I'm sure you can find a good one for under $100. Also, until you get a tank you can always just clamp the hose directly to the connector on the motor. It'll be a bit of a pain when putting the motor on/off the boat, but it will get you motoring.

As someone who would potentially buy a motor like that I wouldn't buy it if it had a retrofit fuel pump.

PITBULL

Recruit

how's a pressure tank realy work?
do i need a primer bulb with the pressure tank setup?
if i just try to convert it what size fuel pump do i need?how dose it all setup?

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

pitbull

I was able to use an old john deere snowmobile tank. It was also a pressure tank. I think it came off a jdx8 model. I was not able to use the fuel fitting but it got me out on the water. Hope that gave you some options.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the button on the top of the tank pumps air pressure into the tank, which forces gas to the engine. once started the engine, then has a diaphram, that pumps air into the tank, forcing fuel to the engine. that's why it's a 2 line system, 1 pushes air to tank, the other the fuel to the engine. a great an proven technology.. been around for over 60 years. as FR said the 5.5 cannot be converted with factory parts. i seen many engines go to the scrap pile, from people trying to convert. i keep a pressure tank in my shed, just to have it. the hose is only $2.00 a foot to replace.

wbeaton

Commander

To convert a 5.5 I believe you have to buy an after market kit like the Mukumi kit. I know nothing about these kits and I don't endorse them. However, if you are bent on converting then this is the kit I'd look into.

If you convert to a single line you will have to pay more to set it up than it would cost to buy a decent pressure tank and you will decrease the value of and demand for the motor. Obviously, I think its a mistake to convert, but its your choice. If you do the conversion, please keep all the original parts you'll be removing and place them together in a labelled ziplok bag incase someone chooses to restore the motor to original, in the future.