lifting outboard :confused:

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 150 HP johnson 2 stroke and it needs to be lifted a whole how do you lift something that heavy?whats the process of moving it up a whole?thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: lifting outboard :confused:

I worked at a place that had a forklift and we strapped the outboard and lifted and lowered it with the forks. I just towed my boat over to it.

So.... does anyone in town use a forklift and want a 6 pack for their trouble??

Or you can use a cherry picker that pulls car engines or a block and tackle properly rigged to a beam (strong enough to hole the weight) or rigged between two good size trees.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You can do it with your tongue jack. Lower it all the way and hang the motor from something appropriate. Remove the bolts and raise the tongue. That will lower the transom. Then put the bolts back in.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

i thought there was a way to do it without a lift is there?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

i thought there was a way to do it without a lift is there?
Only if you are a personal friend of some of those guys on the "Worlds strongest man" competitions
Otherwise use something to assist like a forklift, a crane, a chainlift etc.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hitace, I use a light duty block and tackle on my '77 tower of power (about 300#). Since the 150 Johnnyrude is 350#, you need something similar.

BTW, when I lift my '98 Johnson 150 this summer, I plan to lower the tongue of the trailer, attach the motor by chain to my garage door header, and lift the trailer tongue. I only want to lift it about 2" or so.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Although all of the suggestions will work, most are relatively dangerous and could result in severe engine damage if anything slips and you drop the engine. Check e-bay for Mercury "lifting eye". They are available for less than 20 bucks. They double as a flywheel puller as well and are much safer for the engine.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know the lifting eye is designed specifically for the lifting purpose so it won't do any damage.

But, could you explain what parts, crank or bearings or pulley or whatever, are supporting the 200 or 300 or however many pounds of vertical force needed to lift and hold the motor? All of that force emanating from one point seems stressful. Which part or parts are so strong that make applying this force of no concern?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You can do it with your tongue jack. Lower it all the way and hang the motor from something appropriate. Remove the bolts and raise the tongue. That will lower the transom. Then put the bolts back in.

You don't have to hang the motor...just construct a platform for the skeg to rest on.

Aren't the two lower bolts in slots on the motor bracket? You don't have to remove them just loosen 'em. The motor won't fall over.

If you have holes instead of slots, here's where it gets a bit more complicated:
Join the Rotary Club, make friends with the local high school football coach. When the time is right, have him bring his offensive line over to hold your motor up while you adjust the height. They don't have to lift it...just keep it balanced on the skeg.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Silver, I think the 150HP Johnnyrudes use two hooks built into the block to lift them, vice the lifting eye on the flywheel.

When you lift the motor by the flywheel as is recommended for the Mercs, the weight is carried by the main bearings and crank. Both of these are pretty strong.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

To give you a better answer we'd have to know more about what you have and what you want to do. Which Johnson 150 do you have? Some use a lifting eye on the flywheel and some, as mentioned, use a spreader bar and chain with hooks to specific places on the block.

We'll assume that the motor is bolted to the transom and you want to move it up and rebolt it to the transom. If there's a jackplate involved, it could be much easier. Let us know what you have.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

no i dont have a jack plate on it and yes its bolted to the transom and its a 2001 ocean pro johnson model # j150vxsif and i read it weighs about 370 pounds.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

To do it properly and safely you'll need a hoist. Once it's loose from the 4 mounting bolts you'll be able to move it away from the transom so you can clean off the old sealer and put new on. You'll need the small spreader bar an chains with hooks. No big deal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Oops -- Had Merc on the brain. Lifting eye is the only "safe" way to go with them. JohnyRudes generally have the lifting brackets.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

how would you hook a lifting eye to a outboard.and is there any othere way to do it

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

On most E/J's you bolt the lifting eye to the flywheel. On the 60* series like yours the flywheel is not exposed. There are 2 "loops" built on to the block, one on each side. That's where the hooks go. You'll need a spreader bar to keep the chain away from the linkage on the starboard side.