hit a shoal or something, still vibrating after prop replacement

cruleman

Recruit
Well, cruising along the other day and "wham" I nailed something 20 feet off the shore in a lake. One of the three prop fins was damaged pretty good, looked like the edge was folded over. I got a hustler prop and installed it. Back on the lake I still get some vibration under power. I have a Bayliner 205 '03 model. Alpha 1 Mercruiser. Im figuring that the driveshaft is bent. I figured that its happened to others as well. I am fairly skilled at gear replacement and was wondering if there was an easy way to check the shaft before tearing it apart. Does anyone know where to get some good reference materials on repair and replacement? Any advise? I am pretty new to ther boating scene and am learning as I go on this stuff. Any help would be great.<br /><br />I also just started it in the driveway with the hose hooked up. I dont see the shaft vibrating, but I do see the entire lower unit can "wiggle" from side to side a little bit. Not sure if that is normal

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: hit a shoal or something, still vibrating after prop replacement

Welcome to iboats :) You most likely bent the prop shaft. Just because you can't see that it is bent doesn't mean that it isn't. The tolerence is something like .005, not alot. Get a mercruiser manual for your drive, don't waste time with a Seloc or Clymer's. I would recommend you take it to a pro. A little 'wiggle' is normal.......Try tightening the two nuts on top of transom assy. to 25# and see if this helps 'wiggle'.......JK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For future reference, you have an Alpha I Gen II drive, not just an Alpha I.<br />Here is an online Mercruiser manual. Just run your cursor over the cover page and the index page to find the links to different sections.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can visually check and see if the shaft is bent by removing the prop and watching the shaft as it spins at idle. Watch the center of the shaft from the end. The right way is with a dial indicator. Check for water in the oil (milky). Is the Hustler a new prop or something you borrowed to try. It could also be bent causing the shimmy while underway. Slight play in the steering I would suspect as not a problem if I am understanding you correctly. With a bent shaft, I would almost guarantee water intrusion.

cruleman

Recruit

thanks guys. This is my first oh sh*t on the water. The hustler prop is brand new, came with its own hub. Im going to send off the old prop to get it fixed, unless you guys have any other suggestions on that. I was kinda figuring that the shaft was bent, it hit on that old prob pretty hard. But its hard to see hmmmm. Just a tick off I guess. Any idea on repair prices? alot??? Oh, and I havent lost any lower drive oil yet, so hopefully it bent the shaft toward the end by the prop. Once again , Thanks for the info guys!

kopy kat

Seaman Apprentice

been there-done that--shop charged almost $1200 for R&R of lower end and replacement of bent shaft--good luck, Larry

cruleman

Recruit

long overdue update. turns out is was a crappy replacement prop. got the original one from mercury and all is good as new.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its been vibrating for 5 years? :)