Harmonic balancer..

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Harmonic balancer..

anita, I would nt expect to get over 5000 rpm with the props you tried. If you did, you would have been under propped. You just need to take the porp that got you close to 5000 and stick with it even if you dont like the top end. I am pretty sure from the postings and the size weight of the boat you must have, the reason you toasted your first engine was over load detonation. Stick with the 21 pitch that it "swings just fine" and dont put a bigger prop. My 350 will spin a 14 1/2x21 and hit 4600 rpm and thats about it. f_in above is showing almost the same thing and we both have smaller boats than you.<br /><br />By the way, I am going to be on the Chain this weekend. If you got a cell or at least a boat name I'll see if I can look you up while I am out there. I have a second house on Lake Catherine and I used to live a hundred yards off of that channel between Petite and Fox right where you guys tie up.<br /><br />PS, if you want to send the cell# by email it is more private it is vatter41 at aol dot com

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We are using everything from old motor except the intake and distrtibutor. Had to put a new ones on. <br />Once we get this motor dialed in I will share where we got the motor.. Great guy. were just having brain cramps getting it set right. Want to make sure its everything he said it should be. <br /><br />As the new motor is right now, she won't even hit 4k without cavitation so its just not right. <br /><br />The 2502 dry weight is only 4250 so its not a real heavy boat. It has a bravo1 drive. 8'6 Beam. <br /><br />This boats name is "Pennies from Heaven" which we should rename "Dollars from He((((".<br /><br />Pennies came from snow plowing winters here has paid for most all boating toys.<br /><br />asgrinn@yahoo.com

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Cavitation???? That wouldn't have anything to do with a vibration dampner.<br /><br />Perhaps you should explain what your problem actually is. It sounds like you have a problem other than the engine.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by vatter41:<br /> My 350 will spin a 14 1/2x21 and hit 4600 rpm and thats about it. f_in above is showing almost the same thing and we both have smaller boats than you.
Just a FYI. The boat I was talking about was my last one. The boat over there (avatar) has a Chrysler 360ci / 330hp with a Volvo 270. 15 1/5 X 21, aggressively cupped ocean racing prop. 63mph. But this boat is a little unique in all respects (weight, beam, design....).

rbezdon

I thought you still had the other boat too f_in. Boy, 63 pretty fast for tyhe 21P, you must be turning a lot of RPM or have a higher then 1.5 to 1 ratio in that drive.

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No meaning when we were triming the drive.. it does not want to be trimmed very much.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by vatter41:<br /> I thought you still had the other boat too f_in. Boy, 63 pretty fast for tyhe 21P, you must be turning a lot of RPM or have a higher then 1.5 to 1 ratio in that drive.
Lots of cupping. Probably comes out around a 24P or so. All top end baby :D <br /> Here play with this thing, Boat Performance Analyzer http://www.boatramp.com/prop_applet/PropAnalyzerAppletG.html <br /> It is dead on for me.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by anita:<br /> We are also in the grand muddy chain o lakes. We hang at the north end of Fox Lake normally. If you see 6-18) (8ft-32ft) boatload of boats rafted up togther that is normally us. <br />We were the goofs with weber grills on stakes pounded into the sand knee deep on the 4th of july.
Nice to hear that the "parking lot" at the north end of Fox is alive and well. Tore up the chain in a 70mph Switzer in the 80's. Chicks getting naked at "Blarneys"... channel cruising..just too much fun. Hung out in a house on a channel on Pistakee (by Happy Ours Resort). Puppet bar still there? Imagine the boat traffic is a mess on the weekends!

rbezdon

robby, the puppet bar gone for years, I remember it as a kid and I am 48!! Blarney is still the hottest Chick spot this side of Miami. Was there last week and some absolutely hot babes were flashing everyone, including an old geezer like me with my wife!! The boat traffic is incredible, chopped up the lakes so bad you needed a 32 ft off shore racer to run on plane but it was a FABULOUS week end. Low 80 sun (and hence skimpy bikinis all day), low humidity, low bugs, pure calm after 10PM with a billion stars. Even though there is the 25MPH (heavily enforced) limit at night, cruising on te mirror smooth lakes with the billion stars was fantastic. Best part was the boat ran better than ever for 4 days solid. Come on back and we'll run the chain, maybe even find Anita and Flapjack out there!!<br /><br />PS, if you want more updates lets take it off the board not to bore everyone else. My email address is vatter41 at aol (dot) com

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by vatter41:<br /> Even though there is the 25MPH (heavily enforced) limit at night,
Ha! Ya mean no more late night blast back up river after closing the McHenry bars? I'll send a ya an email. I got stories and pictures, and still miss the great times back on the "Chain". Robby

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the chain is alive and kicking.. Did the River Run in "Pennies from Heaven" new name "Dollars from H****"<br /><br />The water is so low down below the locks. Its amazing. you get off the channel by 1-2ft and your stuck in the sand. At least its sand. <br /><br />Ok.. <br />Somebody posted at some point that they had timing chain off by a tooth caused motor to not hit top RPMS. <br />Is there anyway to tell. We have timed retimed repropped the drive 4k is all we get in rpms.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You have to remove the timing chain cover and visually inpect the marks on the gears....JK

Bondo

Staff member

We have timed retimed repropped the drive 4k is all we get in rpms.
Timed it Where,.???? What did it Do,.???<br /><br />Tried WHAT Prop,.???? Again,... EXACTLY,.. What did it Do,.??? What were the RPMs of Which Props,.???<br /><br />You're looking for Ideas,...........<br /><br />Well,....... Ideas are Damn Hard Coming without some Feedback of WHAT HAPPEN when you Tried Those Ideas..................<br /><br />At This Point,.........Here's My Idea...... :cool: <br />You're trying to build Too Much Horsepower in the Wrong RPM range,...... <br />A SBC that build 330hp at 5800rpms is NOT a Boat Motor............<br />Boats Love motors that build thier power Up to 4800/5000 RPMs,.... The Drives don't like much more than 5 Grand Either,.....No Doubt,.. Your Bravo Is better than My Alpha,.....But Still,.. You should be looking for 5 Grand to be the Redline,.. Maxed Out,.. Top-end,..<br />A 275hp SBC will still have respectable Torque left down Low in the RPMs......<br />I Don't think your Cam Timing is Off,.......... I Think you've got the Wrong Cam.............. :rolleyes:

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing is 10 BTDC.. <br />Runs out to about 4k.... Does not change one bit with 19-21 pitch stainless props.. Runs out to like 44ish mph. <br />We are going to borrow a nice big 23pitch stainless and see what happens. <br />Since its almost end of season were going to wait until winter doldrums pull the timing chain cover at some point and pray its off a tooth. Then pull the crank out. <br />Its just sooooooooo dispointing to not get it running to potential.... <br />As always everyone here is fantastic. Could not ask for better people.. Its kind of like the folks we boat with. Ask for help 24x7 and you get it. :cool: :cool: :D

Bondo

Staff member

It appears that you Still Don't Get It............<br /><br />I see Another Blown Motor in Your Near Future.................................................................. :rolleyes: